My 74 Imperials

A beautiful pair of Imperials. You SHOULD be proud

I'm Will.... Sometimes I take a turn at sturring up the pot....

I looked underneath at the rockers and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Hate to say it but I may have to the mudflap route. Ugh..

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Yup, mudfaps...gotta have them if you want to protect your paint...all my cars have them. The pics of the coupe were taken before I put the mudflaps on. Over the years I've come to like them- especially when I wash my car and find a lack of stone chips!

Yup, mudfaps...gotta have them if you want to protect your paint...all my cars have them. The pics of the coupe were taken before I put the mudflaps on. Over the years I've come to like them- especially when I wash my car and find a lack of stone chips!
I've yet to see any aftermarket ones that would look even half decent. I passed up a chance years ago to buy a NOS set that were a Mopar Approved Accessory installed by the dealer. Damn....
I may buy some universal truck flaps and make my own.

A friend of mine has a neat trick that he uses when it comes to mudflaps on his show car. He didn't want to drill holes and screw them into place. Instead, when he drives it, he installs them using small fold-back clips from the stationery store, the kind you squeeze the "handles" on to spread apart. That lets him clamp them to the wheel opening lip and then remove them when he gets to the show field.

A friend of mine has a neat trick that he uses when it comes to mudflaps on his show car.
I drive my car anywhere and everywhere. Even if it was Pebble Beach quality, I would never own a car that is driven to shows only.
That is too anal, a waste of a beautiful car, and always leaves a question in my mind about the type of person who does that.
So, binder clips are out for me.

The dealer installed types in Europe are about all of the clamped type by the way. Hold up nicely, never had any issues.

I drive my car anywhere and everywhere. Even if it was Pebble Beach quality, I would never own a car that is driven to shows only.
That is too anal, a waste of a beautiful car, and always leaves a question in my mind about the type of person who does that.
So, binder clips are out for me.

He doesn't drive it to shows only. He is a bit anal about water, salt on the roads, etc, but he will drive the car as long as the weather is dry. He is concerned about stone chips though and hence the flaps. He just wants to be able to take them off when he does enter it in a show.

Don't take this personally, Greg, but this issue is a major irritant to me.
#1. I can only justify owning a car strictly to go to shows when it's important to be preserved for future generations. E.g. a Dick Landy original S/S.
#2. When someone's only enjoyment from a car is to show it off, he's not a car guy. He's an attention *****.
#3. Putting on temporary mudflaps only while driving, and removing them when he gets to Dairy Queen to get a $1.98 plastic trophy, is kind of pathetic if you really dig into the psychology that underlies this behaviour.
#4. Yes, I'm really into making and keeping my car(s) as nice as possible but when it produces behaviour that is not normal, then I know my values are effed up and a reality adjustment is called for.

Last edited:
#1. I can only justify owning a car strictly to go to shows when it's important to be preserved for future generations. E.g. a Dick Landy original S/S.
#2. When someone's only enjoyment from a car is to show it off, he's not a car guy. He's an attention *****.
#3. Putting on temporary mudflaps only while driving, and removing them when he gets to Dairy Queen to get a $1.98 plastic trophy, is kind of pathetic if you really dig into the psychology that underlies this behaviour.
#4. Yes, I'm really into making and keeping my car(s) as nice as possible but when it produces behaviour that is not normal, then I know my values are effed up and a reality adjustment is called for.

I agree with all that and why I truly dislike auctions like Barrett-Jackson. Those people may think they are car collector people but the truth is they are really attention collector people.

Evidently.

He gets his enjoyment from having things as perfect as possible. That goes for his car, his house, everything he owns. That's just him. Is that normal? It is for him and I'm no Sigmund Freud so I don't know what caused him to be that way. But I'm sure we all know some people who are perfectionists and he is one.

I told you he drives the car a lot. It is not strictly for show so I have no idea where you got that.

Is he "normal"? You tell me. He is a good guy, very generous with time and advice, and he keeps the companies that produce car cleaners and waxes in business. He isn't into trophies or any of that junk. He is into originality and having things "right". And he is the biggest car guy that I know.

Geezus, Stan, you add a lot to this place, but take a pill sometimes.

I'm feeling much better now. There are times I need a whomping upside the head to snap out of it.
And back at'cha. Merry Christmas.

Now that was nice...

Back