My brother got an interesting call today

65Coronet7165

Reaction score
The caller said my brother won 3rd place prize in Publishers Clearinghouse worth $500,000. Caller claimed to be a lawyer from NY and all he needed to do was be home Wednesday at 11 am.

My brother said he couldn't, he has to take me to some doctor appointments Wednesday. The guy said $500K was at stake and he'd call back in about an hour. I won't know until tomorrow if he called back or not. Could this be legit?? If so, no one deserves it more than my brother. He takes care of me and tithe the church 10percent of everything.
Guess I could finally have my dream 67 GTX if the money were mine.

Might not be the case but this is a common method police and debt collectors use to locate people. Another would be a fake letter from an attorney claiming a long lost relative died and left you an inheritance.

He can call this number to confirm

1-800-459-4724

You may be contacted by mail, but PCH never calls in advance

I would think that if you were the legal winner, they would have to provide the winnings in a stated manner according to the rules. Conversely, there would be terms on the winner on when and how to receive the winnings. Suspicious to me that this person who made the call, only offered "I'll call you back in an hour" as a response. No other options? That sounds like a pressure scam call. Red flag. I personally do not know anybody who won PCH so cannot comment on their process. Great if he actually did.

Thanks guys more than helpful as usual. My brother has been scammed before. Lost all his savings and had all his credit cards drained

A few years ago I had a similar phone call from someone claiming to represent PCH. "Robert" called from "Publishers Clearings House" to tell me that I had won $500K and the prize patrol was ready to come my way. He just needed some information from me to get the money moving. Sure thing ol' pal. I kept Robert on the line for about 20 minutes pretending I couldn't hear him, asking him questions, making small talk etc... He hung up on me. I was hurt (actually I was hungry as my lunch break was almost over and I was laughing too hard to eat). He had a neat accent. When I searched the area code I found the call came from Jamaica. That was my last call from the "Publishers Clearings House."

Thanks guys more than helpful as usual. My brother has been scammed before. Lost all his savings and had all his credit cards drained
Scammers coming back for round two, or are they also selling info to other would-be scammers?

The caller said my brother won 3rd place prize in Publishers Clearinghouse worth $500,000. Caller claimed to be a lawyer from NY and all he needed to do was be home Wednesday at 11 am.

My brother said he couldn't, he has to take me to some doctor appointments Wednesday. The guy said $500K was at stake and he'd call back in about an hour. I won't know until tomorrow if he called back or not. Could this be legit?? If so, no one deserves it more than my brother. He takes care of me and tithe the church 10percent of everything.
Guess I could finally have my dream 67 GTX if the money were mine.
The elephant in the room is, why are you seeking help on an automotive site.
Think about it....

Scammers coming back for round two, or are they also selling info to other would-be scammers?
Why don't you wait till the big crowd gathers in front of the house where they present you with the giant sized cheque!
Then it would be real!
Your brother will be bombarded with all kinds of scams now due to showing vulnerability, now is the time to be more vigilant than ever.
Say no to everyone, even family!

Anybody ask the question 'Did your brother enter the contest'?

IDK how PCH works (haven't paid attention to it in decades), but don't you have to make out a entry form?

A few years ago I had a similar phone call from someone claiming to represent PCH. "Robert" called from "Publishers Clearings House" to tell me that I had won $500K and the prize patrol was ready to come my way. He just needed some information from me to get the money moving. Sure thing ol' pal. I kept Robert on the line for about 20 minutes pretending I couldn't hear him, asking him questions, making small talk etc... He hung up on me. I was hurt (actually I was hungry as my lunch break was almost over and I was laughing too hard to eat). He had a neat accent. When I searched the area code I found the call came from Jamaica. That was my last call from the "Publishers Clearings House."
I use the same method with these guys all the time. Keep asking questions, especially specific ones, they finally cave in and hang up...........

Did your Brother enter the Clearing House Contest? If not... FRAUD!

It's amazing how any people get caught by this. "Mrs. Jones, you just won the Kingdom of Latvia's $2,000,000 Lottery! But, to receive your winnings, you need to cable us a processing fee of $2,500.00 by Friday." Mrs. Jones gladly does so, never once asking herself if she bought a lottery ticket to the Latvian Lottery, and thus loses 2 grand to a scam. I'll never stop being amazed at this.

Some years ago, while asking a telemarketer questions, she muttered, "Go to H***!". I responded, "That won't be possible; I have reservations elsewhere!". She hung up! Lindsay

Some years ago, while asking a telemarketer questions, she muttered, "Go to H***!". I responded, "That won't be possible; I have reservations elsewhere!". She hung up! Lindsay
Years ago, a woman I know was told to go to Hell. She replied, "I already did; they kicked me out for being good." Ha!!

Back