My brother got an interesting call today

A few years ago I had a similar phone call from someone claiming to represent PCH. "Robert" called from "Publishers Clearings House" to tell me that I had won $500K and the prize patrol was ready to come my way. He just needed some information from me to get the money moving. Sure thing ol' pal. I kept Robert on the line for about 20 minutes pretending I couldn't hear him, asking him questions, making small talk etc... He hung up on me. I was hurt (actually I was hungry as my lunch break was almost over and I was laughing too hard to eat). He had a neat accent. When I searched the area code I found the call came from Jamaica. That was my last call from the "Publishers Clearings House."

I use the same method with these guys all the time. Keep asking questions, especially specific ones, they finally cave in and hang up...........
It used to be that I would screw with telemarketers all the time. Then I found something out... Some are trying to get you to say "yes" so they can edit the conversation with "So we can sign you up for...." and then your voice says "yes". With AI in place now, it's probably gonna get worse.

The ones that start out "can you hear me?" is a clue they may be doing that.

So, I say hello.. and if there's a pause, I hang up. If they start talking, and it's obvious it's a unsolicited call, I hang up.

In New York State, they made a lot of telemarketing illegal... It hasn't really stopped anything though. I think of it this way... If they are calling me, they are skirting the law somehow and I don't want to do business with them.

Exactly, they ask, “can you hear me? I answer “your voice is a good volume, please continue” they keep trying to get you to answer something with a yes. Then they hang up.

I'm asking the question about PCH because I knew my brother would lend me the money to buy my "dream" car........a 67 GTX .......if he had the money.
Anyways. He never heard back from the "lawyer". So you guys are right. SCAM, Scam,scammer, scam. He gets a ton of calls each day from people trying to get him to sign up for stuff.
I keep telling him to just hang up, I guess he's trying to be polite???!!!???

I decided that as much as I wanted to enter the contest I wasn't. When my mother died I was going through her mail that had piled up over the years. It seemed almost weekly if not daily they would send her something in the mail. You may have won, you might be the only winner in your town, etc etc etc on infinitem!

It used to be that I would screw with telemarketers all the time. Then I found something out... Some are trying to get you to say "yes" so they can edit the conversation with "So we can sign you up for...." and then your voice says "yes". With AI in place now, it's probably gonna get worse.

The ones that start out "can you hear me?" is a clue they may be doing that.

So, I say hello.. and if there's a pause, I hang up. If they start talking, and it's obvious it's a unsolicited call, I hang up.

In New York State, they made a lot of telemarketing illegal... It hasn't really stopped anything though. I think of it this way... If they are calling me, they are skirting the law somehow and I don't want to do business with them.

That's a great observation. I have learnt to simply pick up, and have no response at all to suspicious numbers. If its a real person, they will say something, computers will automatically hang up after a few seconds.

I once told a telemarketer who was trying to get me to buy whatever it was, with the 'chance of winning a trip', that I couldn't travel because I had lost both my legs, the silence, followed by an apology was gold, had a good laugh about it afterwards.

Amen, Amen, and Amen!! Someone who wants to talk to me is ready before I answer. If not, goodbye!!!

I disagree, you full of sheite.

it works, the BS calls will stop coming to your phone. It doesn’t work forever and you have to do it evey few years.
I'm with @commando1 and I have to disagree. It may knock out some calls, but it never stops them completely.

I think a lot of the calls come from outside the country and they don't care. Then there's the crooks that are looking to take your money.... They don't care either. Frankly, I doubt it's enforced much.

I dumped my land line a few years ago because of the telemarketing calls... and yes, I had listed several times.

My data vendors use this list all the time....to confirm a phone is working and valid. Only legit sales are paying attention, there really is no recourse for those that call from that list, most have nothing to loose since the calls come from out of the country. The best way to stop the calls is to dump your land line and don't answer the cell unless they are on your contact list.

Also, do not ever enter any contest, drawings at the state fair or malls, etc, or enter your info on a website that promoses to “help“ your life.

if you get to talking to these people and see everywhere they go and enter in their contact info it is crazy, then they complain about all the spam and sales calls.

they are helping themselves with your personal info. Never do it, you will not win, you will lose big!

Once used the Chrysler 0% financing to buy a new 2012 Ram 1500. Never again... Within a month the telemarketers were calling relentlessly.

Once used the Chrysler 0% financing to buy a new 2012 Ram 1500. Never again... Within a month the telemarketers were calling relentlessly.
You'll find that's the dealer selling your info.

I used to get warranty sales calls on company cars. The only way they could have tied my cell number with the cars is from me dropping them off at dealerships for repair.

Car dealers will do stuff like that...

As far back as I can remember, you bought a new car and a week later you got a Fingerhut catalog. Young'ns don't know what I'm talking about.

I haven’t had a landline in around 15 years and I never answer a number I don’t recognize on my cell But the robo calls do drive me crazy. It’ll ring for half a regular ring and go to my voicemail(how they do that I don’t know), sometimes with caller id blocked but then a message is left with a phone number from just about anywhere in the country. It’s usually 1 of 3 or 4 messages from someone claiming to be calling me back about an offer for a business loan, help with student loan or some other financial deal. Any number that gets captured on my caller id is just one that got hijacked and the person who owns the number will never know their number is being used. I could block all of them and I will still get the same calls from a different number the next day.

I disagree, you full of sheite.

it works, the BS calls will stop coming to your phone. It doesn’t work forever and you have to do it evey few years.
My experience with it is it does work but only for a few days, maybe a week then the calls slowly begin to return.
When it becomes annoying again I call them again and the process starts again.

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone.

Back