My E86 New Yorker from Ecorse, MI

I am late to the party.
Congratulations to the New Yorker Tim.
I really like the interieur a lot, too.

Every one of yours is just superb!

Steve you did see that he drives the best designed automobile of the world.
A 1970 Dodge Coronet. Best front end ever :)

Carsten

I am late to the party.
Congratulations to the New Yorker Tim.
I really like the interieur a lot, too.

Steve you did see that he drives the best designed automobile of the world.
A 1970 Dodge Coronet. Best front end ever :)

Carsten

Well, I have to admit that 1970 Coronet is spectacular. Despite the Pontiac front end!
I kind of like this one better: :D

16087988910_3030154c1e.jpg

BTW, Nice '71 Tim. Did you get a chance the see the BIG TIRE along I-94 when you were in Ecorse? What's the arrow count stickin' out of that thing on the free way side now? lol

I didn't see it, but wasn't paying attention, didn't know it was on my route either. Besides, this guy was tailgating all the way.

71 NYer in tow.jpg

Was planning on having the tires mounted and balanced this morning, but after seeing the paint finish rims from the paint job I gave them last night, I thought they needed a second coat of paint.
This is what I started with. They look better now, IMO.
Road wheels before.jpg
Painted RW 1.jpg
Painted RW 2.jpg

Was planning on having the tires mounted and balanced this morning, but after seeing the paint finish rims from the paint job I gave them last night, I thought they needed a second coat of paint.
View attachment 240584 View attachment 240585 View attachment 240586
Lookin' good Tim. Hope you have the Centers and their in decent shape. East bound I-94 the Ecorse exit iz #196, the Next exit is #198 Telegraph and that is the Allen Park and Dearborn exit and the Big Tire iz about where the #197 would if their were an exit(there iz no exit there) half way between the two exits on the south side of I-94 with arrows stickin' out all over it on the free-way side ... They say {tho' I don't know how you would get inside to see for yourself) that there are sooo many bullet holes that it's like day lite in there? The structure SO THEY SAY for that tire iz an old Farris Wheel. Ah Genuine Detroit Land Mark, Jer

Last edited:
View attachment 240584 View attachment 240585 View attachment 240586

I hate to say this after you've deconstructed your booth, but the center of the rim (wide, flat area) is also supposed to be argent.

Know anybody who does "wraps" or decals? To be honest, painting that area never seems to work very well in my experience; because you're basically painting chrome. But if someone were to create a circular decal from metallic silver vinyl, you'd have to be on your knees to see the difference... And I'll bet the durability would be far better.

And you won't have to re-build your booth.

$.02

Thanks for the tip. The vinyl sounds like an easy work-around instead of painting. I'll need to take my rattle can to a sign shop to see if they can match-up the color correctly. I'd do it myself, but being color blind, who knows what I'd do.

The paint booth set-up/tear-down is easy peasy….just needed a roll of long plastic, and then attached the plastic to the steel beams in my shop with something like 10 to 15 black universal paperclips.

Thanks for the tip. The vinyl sounds like an easy work-around instead of painting. I'll need to take my rattle can to a sign shop to see if they can match-up the color correctly. I'd do it myself, but being color blind, who knows what I'd do.

The paint booth set-up/tear-down is easy peasy….just needed a roll of long plastic, and then attached the plastic to the steel beams in my shop with something like 10 to 15 black universal paperclips.

Having done the mask for that inner silver section many times before, it's fairly tedious and inevitably bits around the edges start to flake. Vinyl wouldn't have that issue, but somebody would have to figure out the correct radius (like the air cleaner lid decals over the years). But once it had been done, there's probably a bunch of us that would purchase them.

So, I'll take a rim and a center cap to my local sign guy and have him template one with the holes to mount the wheels.
Questions: 1) do the center caps on all years have the same outside diameter?
2) would it make sense if the vinyl template is the same size of the outside circumfrence of the center cap, or should the vinyl template extend to the inside diameter (the flat section) of the chrome section of the road wheel?

Yours Ny´er is awesome, but I disagree about the nicest Fusie.

So, I'll take a rim and a center cap to my local sign guy and have him template one with the holes to mount the wheels.
Questions: 1) do the center caps on all years have the same outside diameter?
2) would it make sense if the vinyl template is the same size of the outside circumfrence of the center cap, or should the vinyl template extend to the inside diameter (the flat section) of the chrome section of the road wheel?

All of the road wheels use the same diameter wheel center. There are early and late styles, but the "base" remains the same. I took a pic of the early style, which is what you should have.

The area that should be Argent Silver is what is shown between the calipers in the photo below. (Same road wheel stamping, but not chromed.) You can leave a margin for error by going into the flat hub area, because this is covered by the wheel center.

Since this area is both round and convex, it could be challenging. Or maybe not for a guy who does it for a living...?

IMG_20181230_142424.png

IMG_20181230_143354.jpg

It's not too difficult to paint the centers, Tim. Use the trim ring as a template, cut the middle of the masking paper out, tape the edge with the purple tape, tape over the top edge of the purple tape with the paper and regular green tape and have at it! Should take ya about a 12er and one night :p
DSC08398.JPG
DSC08427.JPG
DSC08440.JPG
DSC08443.JPG
DSC08444.JPG
DSC08447.JPG
DSC08448.JPG
DSC08449.JPG

DSC08432.JPG
DSC08474.JPG

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Mask it and paint it. I did mine 25 years ago and they are holding up fine. Silver paint is the Argent paint Direct Connection sells for the rallye wheels on the little cars. MarPar's masking method is perfect. Follow his suggestions.
CIMG1030.JPG

Would anyone care to share what commonly-available product they used to adhere silver paint to chromed steel? I'm sure such a product exists, because it was done 50 years ago, but I've yet to find anything that will "bite" well enough for a car that sees frequent use.

I'm not sure if scuffing up the surface with a scotch-brite pad will work on chrome, like on other metal surfaces, but using a metal wire wheel (not brass) on a power hand drill could do the trick. Then primer/sanding before painting.

Back