My E86 New Yorker from Ecorse, MI

sixpkrt

Reaction score
On Saturday, I drove down to Ecorse Michigan to pick up a recently located 1971 2 door hard top Chrysler New Yorker.
This was a one owner car since new, purchased form Dick Green Chrysler Plymouth, Inc. at 11288 Gratiot Ave in Detroit. (no longer there when checking google maps) and as its history goes, the car sat on jack stands in the owners garage since 1994. He had it registered again in 2014 for antique plates, and was parked again at the end of 2014 until I picked it up.
Optioned when ordered as listed on the fender tag:
CH23:
Chrysler
High
2 Door Hardtop
U1C: 440 370HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA
152920: Sequence number
E86: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GY5: Unknown Exterior Color
H3Y5: Trim - High, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Unknown Color
000: Full Door Panels
B11: Build Date: November 11
078260: Order number
V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R35: AM/FM Stereo Radio (10 Watts)
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
H31: Rear Window Defogger
M45: Fender Skirts
P31: Power Windows
P41: Power Door Locks
S61: Tilt/Telescopic Steering Column
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V7Y: Accent Stripes, Yellow
R32: Dual Rear Speakers

The fender tag was decoded by using the MyMopar Tag Decoder.
As for the unknown colors of the exterior paint and interior trim listed above, I believe the paint code GY5 code is Crystal Dawn Metallic, and the trim code H3Y5 code is Gold. In addition, the trim code listed above mentions bench seats, but the seats are bench with high back buckets. I thought there might be a different code for bench/bucket type seats.
But, maybe not.
I was surprised when finding out this was a true, all original TNT car and in this condition, or that wasn’t already “known” or “discovered”, with a line of people trying to buy it. Luckily, with this New Yorker being parked in a garage, tucked away from view for the last 24 years, it’s easy to see how it stayed hidden for so long. I know the term “barn find” is widely abused/overstated, but this one’s legit, even though it was in a garage, and not a barn all this time. It’s almost too hard for me to believe that these cars are still out there, hiding, waiting to be found.
Too bad Chrysler historical records don’t show the breakdown of how may HP New Yorkers of the 4485 2 door hardtops that rolled out of the Jefferson St. assembly plant were built.

The other thing I was surprised to see was how little rust is on the car, especially being in Detroit area all its life and just 16 miles from where it was assembled. All I could find was some very minimal surface rust, and none in the trunk or around the rear window, door jams and no indications of rust bubbles under the vinyl. The HP440 needs some work too, but I expected it would. It’s all original with the dual snorkel and HP manifolds. Even still has the heat riser. An aftermarket alarm system was installed at some point with the alarm key mounted on the driver’s fender. That will be removed soon.
She’s not perfect, with a few scratches, most likely caused from being in the garage, with stuff falling against it, so it will need of some body work. The 440 and transmission will need to be freshened up, but in general, this car must have had a good life, was well taken care of by its owner and sparingly driven with only 57K on the odometer over the last 47 years. There’s no way I can confirm these are the actual miles, except from what the seller stated, but by the overall condition, and seeing that it’s still sitting on L78-15 bias ply tires, it’s possible.

The car came with a few documents to:
*1971 Chrysler Operators Manual
*Chrysler Corp 12 month/12000 mile warranty, with the delivery date to Dick Green dealership of Nov. 16, 1970.
*Midas receipt from March 1979 for replacing the mufflers

The guy I bought the New Yorker from, facilitated the sale through his uncle, who is no longer capable of driving.
From the first time he and I spoke 2 weeks ago, and up to the time the title was signed over, he was upfront and honest throughout the entire transaction.
Finding the car was one thing, but being able to communicate with somebody who you don’t know at all, but can seem trust on a deal like this, makes everything worth it in the end.

I’ll be working on the New Yorker over the winter months with some tuning and detailing what is needed. Maybe I’ll even find the build sheet in the process.
I hope to have it ready to hit the streets by spring time and drive it to the next Volo meet.

Finally, I want to give thanks to Detmatt for responding back to my PM the morning I ventured out to the motor city, for reaching out to a few local FCBO members to help with loading the car onto the trailer to get it back to Illinois. Soon afterwards, I got a text from drpreposterous to lend a hand, but I had already loaded the car before seeing his text message. Both real good guys, that were willing to extend a helping hand. Even Carmine reached out, but I missed his call. Thanks again, to all of you.
sixpkrt

Some pics for all:
71 NY side view passenger.jpg
71 NY pulled out of garage.jpg
71 NY front seats.jpg
71 NY rear seat.jpg
71 NY tire size.jpg
71 NY odometer.jpg
71 NY TNT 1.jpg
71 NY trunk floor 1.jpg
71 NY fender tag.jpg
71 NY 5 cars in the shop.jpg

That's gorgeous. How did you learn of it? I surely would have gone after it!

Just so you know I wasn't BS'ing about having to get my head shaved when you were loading...

IMG_20181015_081123.jpg

On Saturday, I drove down to Ecorse Michigan to pick up a recently located 1971 2 door hard top Chrysler New Yorker.
This was a one owner car since new, purchased form Dick Green Chrysler Plymouth, Inc. at 11288 Gratiot Ave in Detroit. (no longer there when checking google maps) and as its history goes, the car sat on jack stands in the owners garage since 1994. He had it registered again in 2014 for antique plates, and was parked again at the end of 2014 until I picked it up.
CH23:
Chrysler
High
2 Door Hardtop

As for the unknown colors of the exterior paint and interior trim listed above, I believe the paint code GY5 code is Crystal Dawn Metallic, and the trim code H3Y5 code is Gold. In addition, the trim code listed above mentions bench seats, but the seats are bench with high back buckets. I thought there might be a different code for bench/bucket type seats.
But, maybe not.
I was surprised when finding out this was a true, all original TNT car and in this condition, or that wasn’t already “known” or “discovered”, with a line of people trying to buy it. Luckily, with this New Yorker being parked in a garage, tucked away from view for the last 24 years, it’s easy to see how it stayed hidden for so long. I know the term “barn find” is widely abused/overstated, but this one’s legit, even though it was in a garage, and not a barn all this time. It’s almost too hard for me to believe that these cars are still out there, hiding, waiting to be found.
Too bad Chrysler historical records don’t show the breakdown of how may HP New Yorkers of the 4485 2 door hardtops that rolled out of the Jefferson St. assembly plant were built.

The other thing I was surprised to see was how little rust is on the car, especially being in Detroit area all its life and just 16 miles from where it was assembled. All I could find was some very minimal surface rust, and none in the trunk or around the rear window, door jams and no indications of rust bubbles under the vinyl. The HP440 needs some work too, but I expected it would. It’s all original with the dual snorkel and HP manifolds. Even still has the heat riser. An aftermarket alarm system was installed at some point with the alarm key mounted on the driver’s fender. That will be removed soon.
She’s not perfect, with a few scratches, most likely caused from being in the garage, with stuff falling against it, so it will need of some body work. The 440 and transmission will need to be freshened up, but in general, this car must have had a good life, was well taken care of by its owner and sparingly driven with only 57K on the odometer over the last 47 years. There’s no way I can confirm these are the actual miles, except from what the seller stated, but by the overall condition, and seeing that it’s still sitting on L78-15 bias ply tires, it’s possible.

*Chrysler Corp 12 month/12000 mile warranty, with the delivery date to Dick Green dealership of Nov. 16, 1970.

The guy I bought the New Yorker from, facilitated the sale through his uncle, who is no longer capable of driving.
From the first time he and I spoke 2 weeks ago, and up to the time the title was signed over, he was upfront and honest throughout the entire transaction.
Finding the car was one thing, but being able to communicate with somebody who you don’t know at all, but can seem trust on a deal like this, makes everything worth it in the end.

I’ll be working on the New Yorker over the winter months with some tuning and detailing what is needed. Maybe I’ll even find the build sheet in the process.
I hope to have it ready to hit the streets by spring time and drive it to the next Volo meet.

Finally, I want to give thanks to Detmatt for responding back to my PM the morning I ventured out to the motor city, for reaching out to a few local FCBO members to help with loading the car onto the trailer to get it back to Illinois. Soon afterwards, I got a text from drpreposterous to lend a hand, but I had already loaded the car before seeing his text message. Both real good guys, that were willing to extend a helping hand. Even Carmine reached out, but I missed his call. Thanks again, to all of you.
sixpkrt

Some pics for all:
View attachment 221482 View attachment 221483 View attachment 221484 View attachment 221485 View attachment 221486 View attachment 221487 View attachment 221488 View attachment 221489 View attachment 221490 View attachment 221491
Nice score Tim! You've got full blown C body-itis! That shop is looking a little fuller than it was in June. Can't wait to see the New Yorker in Volo!

Incredible score on that stunning beauty!:thumbsup:
Not often do I get jealous but I must admit that I wish it were mine.

Hot Damn T!! Congrats on the NY'er!! She's a sweetheart!

So whatcha guna do with the 300?? :poke:

CH23:
Chrysler
High
2 Door Hardtop

But, maybe not.

sixpkrt

Some pics for all:
View attachment 221482 View attachment 221483 View attachment 221484 View attachment 221485 View attachment 221486 View attachment 221487 View attachment 221488 View attachment 221489 View attachment 221490 View attachment 221491
VERY nice score. Congratulations! Good work, fellas.

That's gorgeous. How did you learn of it? I surely would have gone after it!

Just so you know I wasn't BS'ing about having to get my head shaved when you were loading...
Finding it was a fluke. My daughter was looking for a certain color online for something she needed to do with digital marketing, and this came up. She said "hey dad, this looks like your car" About then, my jaw dropped.
BTW I hope the charity event raised plenty of cash for the cause.

That shop is looking a little fuller than it was in June. Can't wait to see the New Yorker in Volo!

You notice the red truck is gone. Still have enough workable floor space for now, but I'd have a real problem if I get another one anytime soon.
If everything goes as planned, it will be at Volo for the 3rd event.

So whatcha guna do with the 300?? :poke:
I'll know what the future will be on the 300 come next summer. You'll be the first to know if I'll be letting it go.

Ecorse.....!!!!!! My old stomping grounds in the 70's. A lot of my buddies lived there. We used to watch a group of Amphibicars launch into the Detroit river at Slims boat doc. Folks ask "where you from"? they would answer, "Not from the East coast, not from the west coast, we from E-cose. :BangHead: :)

I had never been there before, and the last time I was in Detroit was when my dad took all of us to a automotive plant tour.
If I remember correctly, it may have been the Ford factory. I can remember station wagons were being produced. The beginning of the tour had molten steel rolling down a roller conveyor system, and getting shaped through a series of stamping presses. For what I remember as a kid, that place was very loud and smokey. I'd be surprised if these tours still occur today.
I didn't know what to expect when going to Ecorse, but from what I observed, the town seemed like a bustling community.

Finding it was a fluke. My daughter was looking for a certain color online for something she needed to do with digital marketing, and this came up. She said "hey dad, this looks like your car" About then, my jaw dropped.
BTW I hope the charity event raised plenty of cash for the cause.

You notice the red truck is gone. Still have enough workable floor space for now, but I'd have a real problem if I get another one anytime soon.
If everything goes as planned, it will be at Volo for the 3rd event.

I'll know what the future will be on the 300 come next summer. You'll be the first to know if I'll be letting it go.

:thumbsup::thankyou:

Back