My E86 New Yorker from Ecorse, MI

It's not too difficult to paint the centers, Tim. Use the trim ring as a template, cut the middle of the masking paper out, tape the edge with the purple tape, tape over the top edge of the purple tape with the paper and regular green tape and have at it!

Mario, your wheels turned out nice. Those are the same center caps, although not correct, I have for my RW's.

Mask it and paint it. I did mine 25 years ago and they are holding up fine.

Nice. I wasn't aware you had your New Yorker for 25 years Dave.

I still need to source the lugs for mine. With all the chrome lugs at any of the car parts stores, I need to find a complete set that is close to original.

I'm not sure if scuffing up the surface with a scotch-brite pad will work on chrome, like on other metal surfaces, but using a metal wire wheel (not brass) on a power hand drill could do the trick. Then primer/sanding before painting.

Problem is, you have a hard edge between chrome and paint. Too cautious and you'll have an edge that flakes. Too aggressive and you'll damage the exposed chrome.

I still need to source the lugs for mine.
Check the re-pop houses for the little cars...I got mine at a Mopar show years ago - 10 Righties, 10 Lefties
The repros are the right size to fit the lug wrench and the factory studs and have the correct cone to seat against the steel wheels.
I've had my car since 1989.

I used the light argent from Totally Auto on my road wheels on my 1970 Chrysler 300. Back then when I redid the wheel center areas I called Totally Auto and they assured me the paint would stick since I had the same concerns as Carmine. I did them around 180K miles a long time ago, and it now has 205K miles on it. They still look fine, but it is never driven in snow or wet conditions virtually always.

And I am not so sure that today's decal or "wrap" technology will adhere to chrome all that well either. At least the decals on my Hurst wheels put on back in the early 70s by Chrysler (or Hurst) are not any better than the painted argent they used on the other road wheels back then and are usually worse.

So for me at least, MarPar's (Mario's) suggestion seems like a good one.

Totally Auto Inc. Paints

70 300 #2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Steve, Totally Auto does not make those paints anymore. Chas who owns the specs for the mixes split from them last year and is mixing them on his own.

Link to his ebay page...chasd12 - 8774PAINT1 | eBay Stores

If anyone ever needs to talk on the phone with him, his number is 877-472-4681. He is a great guy and is more than willing to help and give you pointers.

I used Chas' paint on my road wheels and it looks just like the paint that came out of Totally Auto.

Last edited:
Any chance that you have some photos of your car with the road wheels on it yet? Would love to see it with them on it now.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any chance that you have some photos of your car with the road wheels on it yet? Would love to see it with them on it now.

The new 235/75R/15 WW's on the road wheels give the NYer a better look than the old rims with the Corvette wheel covers.
These aren't the best pics, but it still a work in progress. Besides the wheels, and front & back brakes are done. Just have to run some new brake lines to the rear wheel cylinders. Also put the new fender skirts on after some adjusting by having to drill out a new hole in the wheel lip for the guide pegs so the skirt lines up properly.
Once the brake lines are done, the oil gets replace with the Melling HV pump, new plugs & wires and then put some gas in it to see what I have, and then time & tune.
Road Wheels on 2.jpg
Road Wheels on 1.jpg

Thanks very much for posting your current progress. Yours is easily one of my favorite cars on this site. Just a gorgeous car with great colors and so original (even more so with the correct wheel centers eventually). Your wheels also turned out great too. It also looks like you have had a chance to buff the paint too.

Are those the Hankook Optimo tires - hard to read the lettering on them? I usually use those on my cars since they have the XL 108 load rating and have a great price too.

If you are not already, you definitely belong on our "you suck" list! Can't wait to see it outside in all its glory!

The new WW tires are sold under the name Ironman. Cooper Tires headquartered in Findlay Ohio bought the tire company from Hercules at some point, and from what I know some are still made in Ohio, but not sure if the WW's are produced there. Most tires are made in China, or S. Korea, like Hankook.
The load rating per tire is at 2033 lbs, which is plenty for a 4400 lb car.
All 4 tires were around $280.

Back