My lens making thread.

I honestly had no expectations with the lens, I didn't even know whether a squeeze mold would work with this type of lens, if that was the case it would be back to square one.

When I removed the top half of the mold I couldn't believe it. Now I really wanted to get the lens out too. Called my wife for some help with the compressed air and after a couple of attempts she broke loose.

I will admit I got a little teary eyed, seems kind of stupid over a lens, but it was beautiful. :)

I honestly had no expectations with the lens, I didn't even know whether a squeeze mold would work with this type of lens, if that was the case it would be back to square one.

When I removed the top half of the mold I couldn't believe it. Now I really wanted to get the lens out too. Called my wife for some help with the compressed air and after a couple of attempts she broke loose.

I will admit I got a little teary eyed, seems kind of stupid over a lens, but it was beautiful. :)
If they are as Unobtainium as you all say they are, I would've leaked a little too!

Now the question: How much for a set?

That is the big question. I really need to put some thought to it. I have a decent investment but not trying to cover it all in the first lens. I will look at my time and materials, that will be the easy part. I have some electrical expense with hours in the oven.

I will break the set and offer just the wrap around lens, since the inner lens is protected and may not be needed or wanted.

I still want to do some sanding or buffing on the sides. They aren't seen once installed but would like would like to see what it would take to clean them up a bit.

That is the big question. I really need to put some thought to it. I have a decent investment but not trying to cover it all in the first lens. I will look at my time and materials, that will be the easy part. I have some electrical expense with hours in the oven.

I will break the set and offer just the wrap around lens, since the inner lens is protected and may not be needed or wanted.

I still want to do some sanding or buffing on the sides. They aren't seen once installed but would like would like to see what it would take to clean them up a bit.
You need to get Murray up to speed on this too.

Per advice from Murray, great guy by the way, the lens should be sold at least as a set per side, if not in a pair. The new lens will not match the color of he old.

This are Chrysler licensed lens so I won't put them out on a web site for sale, but will gladly talk in a PM.

Side note I may have something available that has a left and right side. The left available first for $250 plus shipping. :poke:

Just saying....

PicsArt_03-11-05.54.38.jpg

Now I am just messing around. These color samples were done yesterday. Anyone want to pimp their ride. :poke:

IMG_20180311_184846630.jpg

. . . When I removed the top half of the mold I couldn't believe it. Now I really wanted to get the lens out too. Called my wife for some help with the compressed air and after a couple of attempts she broke loose. . . . :)

Mike: I am awestruck by your accomplishment here. Until now, I don't think anyone would have thought a DIY re-pop '66 tail light lens was even possible. Mighty mighty fine! Now I know where I'm gonna find my tail light lenses when mine get broken.

Now tell us more about your wife "breaking loose."

The main difference between that sale and Mike's venture is the eBay listing is selling actual Mopar parts which does not infringe on trademark rights. Mike's lens was reproduced (without license) using the Mopar trademarks and part numbers which would infringe on Chrysler's trademark rights, thus requiring a license to sell them publicly.

The main difference between that sale and Mike's venture is the eBay listing is selling actual Mopar parts which does not infringe on trademark rights. Mike's lens was reproduced (without license) using the Mopar trademarks and part numbers which would infringe on Chrysler's trademark rights, thus requiring a license to sell them publicly.
I *think* he may have been implying that lens should be under consideration by zymurgy.

I *think* he may have been implying that lens should be under consideration by zymurgy.

That's how I took it. Yes my items won't be on eBay. Honestly I want to help the guys out here on this site first. I would be happy to discuss any lens with someone on this site.

Back