My lens making thread.

I would call it an extreme rebuild service. Send him a a little piece of your lens and he will “rebuild” it to look like new. Maybe he can use the old piece to mix the new?

very cool thread , i might give it a go . have you found the best source for the supplies ?
I really have been happy with the Smooth-on product. In order to have the best results you will need a vacuum chamber and a pressure pot too.

Can't stick a new picture into a PM
P3130006.JPG
P3130008.JPG
P3130017.JPG
P3130019.JPG
P3130021.JPG
P3130025.JPG

That is what I need Jeff, I will be able to get some figures from those pictures.

I keep wanting to ask you to do a 67 Monaco lens ... then I realize that the size of the vacuum pot needed would likely be big enough to back a small garden tractor into.

I keep wanting to ask you to do a 67 Monaco lens ... then I realize that the size of the vacuum pot needed would likely be big enough to back a small garden tractor into.
My limit is the depth of my pressure pot at 14 1/2, and the mold needs at least 3/8" on each end, so my max lens is 13 3/4" long.

My limit is the depth of my pressure pot at 14 1/2, and the mold needs at least 3/8" on each end, so my max lens is 13 3/4" long.
I've not measured it but I'm pretty sure they'd be longer than that. I have two sets, the ones on my car which has a poorly repaired crack on the passenger side and a cigarette burn on the driver side ("class act"). The other set I picked up, missing the inner trim ring, has light stress checking like they all do .. not sure how that would effect a mold .. not sure it would.
I'll throw a ruler at them tonight and see if it'd even be possible for you. If it is and you'd be interested, I'd gladly sacrifice my "better" set for reproduction. I know theres a lot of guys out there that'd need em.

I've not measured it but I'm pretty sure they'd be longer than that. I have two sets, the ones on my car which has a poorly repaired crack on the passenger side and a cigarette burn on the driver side ("class act"). The other set I picked up, missing the inner trim ring, has light stress checking like they all do .. not sure how that would effect a mold .. not sure it would.
I'll throw a ruler at them tonight and see if it'd even be possible for you. If it is and you'd be interested, I'd gladly sacrifice my "better" set for reproduction. I know theres a lot of guys out there that'd need em.

Yes I believe that lens is bigger then what would fit in my pressure pot. I could show you what a lens looks like when it's not cured in the pressure pot. The little bubbles are gone so the lens is clear. but there will be some bigger bubbles, but they would be on the back side. Not really noticeable except when they are lit up.

Yes I believe that lens is bigger then what would fit in my pressure pot. I could show you what a lens looks like when it's not cured in the pressure pot. The little bubbles are gone so the lens is clear. but there will be some bigger bubbles, but they would be on the back side. Not really noticeable except when they are lit up.
Welp, I gotta clean this set up anyway. I snagged both assemblies for 25 bucks (again, missing the inner trim piece). They are however unbroken. The question is whether or not they will remain so after disassembly. If it stays intact, then the question is whether or not the fracturing would be more or less attractive than bubbles.

Stupid 67 Monaco taillights. Why they gotta be so pretty?!

My buddy has a perfect lens to work on first, to see how they turn out with some cracks, but intact. I hope to make a mold of it in the next couple of weeks.

It is a nice small lens so I can experiment with it. It is clear but I can make a red lens and make one that isn't cured in the pressure pot.

Let me do the experiments first, so I can give you the best expectations of the end result.

Even if those lens look too bright/light with bulbs, can use red leds.

Back