My lens making thread.

Starting over on my vacuum chamber. After further research I have discovered my single stage vacuum pump will not achieve the 29Hg with my 2.5 gallon pot. Also the pot is too small for the 5 quart mixing containers. Going with a more powerful 2 stage pump and a 5 gallon pressure pot.
I do understand the pot size issue, but is full vacuum really a necessity? I would have thought that drawing any reasonable vacuum, even 10", would be sufficient to get the air out. Using the pump for A/C work, I'd be focused on allowing it to run long enough to pump out moisture, not so much on achieving 29".

I do understand the pot size issue, but is full vacuum really a necessity? I would have thought that drawing any reasonable vacuum, even 10", would be sufficient to get the air out. Using the pump for A/C work, I'd be focused on allowing it to run long enough to pump out moisture, not so much on achieving 29".

I don't really think I need it for the mold, but the guy who sold me the product and who does mold making at the company said 29 Hg is essential for a clear lens.

I saw it first hand with my first lens, it was loaded with tiny bubbles. It is supposed to double it's size when degassing, it just bubbled with the urethane resin. It was a solid cast but there where tiny bubbles throughout.

Tiny bubbles does not make me happy or feel fine. :)

IF you were in Hawaii,

IF you were drinking champagne,

IF you could sing like Don Ho,

then you would probably be "happy & feel fine".

Actually, I'm really interested in your endeavor and wish you great success. Just funning ya!

That was quick, I ordered the new 2 stage vacuum pump and a 5 gallon vacuum chamber. Very impressed with the quality of both.

I kicked on the pump and got to 29 inHg in a very short period of time. I shut the inlet a the chamber and turned off the pump I lost no vacuum. The manual said I will only loose <2 inHg in 24 hours, slight over kill for my 2-3 minutes required. :)

Plenty of room now for my 5 quart container.

IMG_20180130_182341819_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180130_182357279_HDR.jpg

I believe I have successfully made half of my 2nd mold. This was the one where I had my epic mold box failure. The only issue I see a tiny sliver of clay just below the surface. Don't know if that will cause any issues with the cast.

Pretty large chunk of rubber coming in at 6 lbs, due the the depth and size of the lens.

I will pour the other half and cast another lens from my first mold this weekend.

IMG_20180202_185300884.jpg
IMG_20180202_185333435.jpg

This is very impressive Mike!:thumbsup: And best of all it’s made in the USA!:usflag:

Made my second cast and still just too many bubbles. I was able to get rid of the tiny bubbles, with the new vacuum chamber, but the larger ones remain. I think it is pointless to proceed with out a pressure pot. I have been looking for a good pot and determined Binks makes the best one, just didn't want to part with the money.

I found a 10 gallon stainless on Ebay, he claims it is new in the box and no damage, if it turns up as advertised I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

I guess I am all in now.

bink's 10 gallon.jpg
lens 2.jpg

I am the type when I get an idea in my head, I refuse to abandon it. If you want to motivate me, tell me I can't do something :)

Back