My new 72 Imperial(Big Red) purchase interior dilemma

DocMcNeedy

"Iggy my Mc-Bum-Fuk"
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My vehicle hasn't been here a week and it's got the nickname "Big Red" in our house...wife likes it so major battle won...I would like to tone down the interior red the PO highlighted with painting the headrests and various panels red...back to white or black I think...don't know if red can be removed with something or have to be repainted white or black? Anyone have to deal with upholstery paint removal or respray?
bigredint.jpg
bigredint2.jpg
bigredint2.jpg

Try these guys for a quote and information... I have only dealt with one franchise, but they always did me right.

Locations

I've had to deal with the same issues.. only it was just a bad paint job in my case.

I've found that isopropyl alcohol will sometimes work and sometimes not. When it doesn't, it's time to paint over it. The issue is that the new paint sometimes doesn't stick well to the old... and that is where I am right now.

There was a thread on another forum where a young man took all the repainted soft trim in a Roadrunner back to original after being painted. I think he used brake fluid as the stripper. I'm looking for that thread now.

Thank you for all feedback...your opinion on painted red upholstery/panels highlights returning to either white/cream or black to match dash would be greatly appreciated. What do you think? Original was probably white/cream?

Original IMHO.

buuuuuut if said parts do not clean up to your liking, a spray of black will hide the PO's previous sins.

getting back the taking the paint off of the headrests, I did use a product called "goof off 2 for plastics" to take off black paint off from the knee pad for my GTX, but I ran out before I could finish. In the subsequent years I have looked high and low for it, and have yet to find another bottle. :( and that **** worked great!!

figures they would take something off of the market that ACTUALLY works.

GTX Interior (35).jpg
GTX Interior (33).jpg
GTX Interior (81).JPG
GTX Interior (34).jpg

I wouldn't put a ton of effort into removing the clown-makeup your PO added. Some of those pieces can come from any C-body with a white interior (like the headrests and A-B-C pilllar trim). It will likely need some freshening with white vinyl dye, but that's one coat vs. God knows how many to cover red.

The pieces that are a bit more rare, like the door panels.... I'd get a price (a guy like Murray Park would have them). Consider the value of your time and what would surely be an awful job. And you'll still have to freshen them.

If that's too costly, start with something like the aforementioned Goof-off and work your way up to lacquer thinner.

I've had to deal with the same issues.. only it was just a bad paint job in my case.

I've found that isopropyl alcohol will sometimes work and sometimes not. When it doesn't, it's time to paint over it. The issue is that the new paint sometimes doesn't stick well to the old... and that is where I am right now.

There was a thread on another forum where a young man took all the repainted soft trim in a Roadrunner back to original after being painted. I think he used brake fluid as the stripper. I'm looking for that thread now.
:stop: Brake fluid is likely a mistake... it will dry out the pieces worse than armorall. I went through the replacement of many gas pump hoses after someone came up with the idea that brake fluid made them shiny looking...:BangHead:, short term gains and long term damage potential. I'm pretty sure the pros will use a primer that helps kill the color, but if it strips off nice... go for it.

I noticed the red and thought " oh my" . I hope you do remedy the situation. It is a great car

My '73 has the same white leather interior, I'll get some pics so you can see what it's supposed to look like. The only things that is black in mine is the carpet and the dash.

Back