My new 72 Imperial(Big Red) purchase interior dilemma

There was a '73 2 Door on here about a week or so ago. Being parted out I'm sure it had the black steering wheel. The car was silver and black. Just found it..
1972 Chrysler Imperial
In Texas... be surprised if the wheel wasn't already cracked in several places.... Doc, just so you know... we are all looking for these wheels if our car came with one... almost all of them have at least one good crack unless parked inside their whole life.

If the price is right and the wheel isn't too bad... you may find a leather wrap is all you can do. Well you pay up for a recast... but a grand and a half is asking a lot of my wallet.

In Texas... be surprised if the wheel wasn't already cracked in several places.... Doc, just so you know... we are all looking for these wheels if our car came with one... almost all of them have at least one good crack unless parked inside their whole life.

If the price is right and the wheel isn't too bad... you may find a leather wrap is all you can do. Well you pay up for a recast... but a grand and a half is asking a lot of my wallet.
I would take a worn cracked original one over that ugly one I have now.

Actually, that very nice wheel it just doesn't belong in that car. This is where they belong...
IMG_20170722_0820089_rewind.jpg

Here's a pic from the parts manual for your power brakes. I would check pull the hoses and run a vacuum "hold" test on the booster to check the grommet integrity and the gaskets. Could be the hose from the manifold to the booster or the hose from the inlet valve to the cruise control. That test would eliminate those. With all those silver coverings it's hard to see what condition the actual vacuum lines are in. Unless those are true stainless hoses. Hard to see from the pics.
IMG_20170722_0828400_rewind.jpg

Let me know if that guy gets back to you on that silver car. I need a few pieces for mine too. But not the steering wheel:poke:.

Let me know if that guy gets back to you on that silver car. I need a few pieces for mine too. But not the steering wheel:poke:.
Nothing yet on steering wheel ...early yet in Texas or maybe a landline...i'll call in a couple hours if no reply or text back. Thanks for detail on the brake booster issue.

Made contact with guy at junk yard...will only sell steering column whole $150.00...didn't know color...only sells locally...no shipping...so a lot a hurdles for me in Minnesota on this one.

Ahhhh jeez... another cl clown. He's never heard of ups? That poor thing will go to its grave with parts that could help others out. Most of us would pay for the shipping if he'd only get off his lazy ***. Oh well not much we can do.:BangHead:

Ahhhh jeez... another cl clown. He's never heard of ups? That poor thing will go to its grave with parts that could help others out. Most of us would pay for the shipping if he'd only get off his lazy ***. Oh well not much we can do.:BangHead:
Agree....I thought price not too bad for whole column...not that I need it...But, I want a decent original black steering wheel...he said something like "you can paint it any color you want" before he knew I wasn't local. I'm trying to clean up the upholstery mess I have now...I don't want to start painting plastic for this project going forward. I'll keep looking.

Yeah, you've got to prioritize. Brake issues first, heater controls, clown interior, steering wheel etc.
Make sure it runs, drives and stops. The rest can be attended to little by little.
The reason I put heater controls second is because, even if you only drive it during the summer/fall referred are some cool mornings or cold rain storms you may need the heater or defroster to see where you're going. Lol

Yeah, you've got to prioritize. Brake issues first, heater controls, clown interior, steering wheel etc.
Make sure it runs, drives and stops. The rest can be attended to little by little.
The reason I put heater controls second is because, even if you only drive it during the summer/fall referred are some cool mornings or cold rain storms you may need the heater or defroster to see where you're going. Lol
Actually today I found out those 3 Skittle-colored switches above stereo actually control air conditioning/ air flow vents...so not total loss except I would rather have original control panel...another thing that Texas parts car probably has...darn it. Add to the list. Which is fine...scavenger hunt for parts is kinda fun.

OTOH, perhaps arrangements could be made with members in TX to take delivery of the required parts once payment has been forwarded. Must be some helpful TX folks who can assist you?

I bought and paid for my 73 from Australia, I'm sure someone can help you.

Maybe cheaper to buy the entire car to part out if that's possible, must be members who require something from it.

Getting there...slowly....Goof off product.
View attachment 135786 View attachment 135787
Actually, from the looks of it, you're biggest PITA with this will be the stitches. Once you get the majority of it off, you may be able to wipe it with a suitable leather polish .. they come in colors and will fill the seam and cover that red ... hmm.. looking promising as hell tho! Good work!

Actually, from the looks of it, you're biggest PITA with this will be the stitches. Once you get the majority of it off, you may be able to wipe it with a suitable leather polish .. they come in colors and will fill the seam and cover that red ... hmm.. looking promising as hell tho! Good work!
TARRAGO Shoe Cream Jar (94 colors available)

This stuff, actually. I have a pair of grey boots that I use the steel grey on .. covers up black scuffs so I'd imagine a closely matched white would be dense enough to cover any small amounts of red left in the seam ... justa thought!

latest?cb=20150118051617.jpg

which goof off did you wind up going with?
There were so many options at Lowe's...I chose the Heavy Duty Remover small bottle...going back for big bottle...no apparent damage to leather...after the headrests...going after the sun visors.

Back