My New Bus!

...and yet, the 65 shown on this site where the window sticker said Reverb had a lower dash mounted switch. Perhaps those were installed when the others weren't available...

Agreed - I've seen both.

Who knows why? It may have been that due to ongoing availability issues they opted to just go with the more common-place dash mounted switch similar to those found in Dodges and Plymouths...

Regardless, now @Big_John has to find the correct switch, or put up with the big hole in his dash pad!

At the risk of derailing this even more, I have a couple of questions.

In the picture above of the 4 speed car, the radio knobs are different than what I'm used to. Did the FM radios use a different knob, or are those just replacements?

Could you get the reverb setup in a convertible or wagon & if so, where did they mount the actual reverb unit. It was in the trunk under the package shelf in the sedans & hardtops, correct?

Oddly when I got my '65 it had the control knob for a reverb setup stuffed up under the dash and the wiring running back to the rear, but neither end was hooked to anything. I assume a previous owner wanted to add it, and never finished.

They look like 66 Fury knobs over the Chrysler rings.

There was a rear speaker option in converts, so I don't see why reverb wouldn't have been available. I seem to remember that the reverb tank could be mounted under the rear seat bottom?

Update - reverb tank location in convertibles is shown in this thread, along with a special protective speaker cover. Pg 18

The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Last edited:
The paint needed some attention.

Buffed with Meguiar's 105 compound and followed with Collinite 390 using a foam pad and a dual action polisher. Then I used a personal favorite, Collinite 845 insulator wax topped with P&S Bead Maker with a little P&S Dream Maker. Shined up the chrome with the best chrome product I've ever used, Collinite 850 Metal Wax

Obligatory clouds and trees in the hood pic.

View attachment 601334

View attachment 601335

Wax on. . . Wax off!

Regardless, now @Big_John has to find the correct switch, or put up with the big hole in his dash pad!
You have to bend over to see it. I don't see myself adding a reverb, so it might get filled with something else or just left alone.

I wondered about those illuminated red lights in the doorpanels, as IIRC mine were just reflectors. Glad to hear my memory is correct.

The white LED does make an improvement over an incandescent in the grille emblem.
Many years ago, when I learned it was designed to illuminate, I put a bulb in mine to see how it looked.
I thought it looked a little goofy, it was too bright and obliterated the emblem, and no other classic cars had a light like this (except the Tucker???).

1686576469428.png

I wondered about those illuminated red lights in the doorpanels, as IIRC mine were just reflectors. Glad to hear my memory is correct.

The white LED does make an improvement over an incandescent in the grille emblem.
Many years ago, when I learned it was designed to illuminate, I put a bulb in mine to see how it looked.
I thought it looked a little goofy, it was too bright and obliterated the emblem, and no other classic cars had a light like this (except the Tucker???).

View attachment 601408
The Tucker center light was actually a sealed beam headlight that turned with the steering. The AACA museum has a Tucker room with a display of how that worked.

I remember when I was a kid in the early 60's, that a classmate's parents had a Studebaker GT Hawk with a running light. That was an almost new car at the time. I can't find out if that was OEM or not though.

My memory is a little hazy, but I seem to remember that some people added them to their cars. The 300L might have been following that trend.

I do know that they came to the dealer unhooked as they were illegal in some states at the time.

I like it myself... Something different I guess. I think the LED is a good compromise in not being too bright and still not being yellow.

Wen I first saw those lenses in your visuals of the car I wondered why New Yorker lenses were on such an otherwise original and very nice car. For me, that car looks so nice that I would put the red lenses on it only because seeing those on the car suggests "unoriginal" and your car looks far too nice to give that impression potentially about the rest of it.

But I also believe, to each his own....................the car just as it sits is just gorgeous and the styling is the best of all the slab sides in my eyes.
I was talking to my wife about this... and her vote was a strong "yes" to leave it as it is. She really likes the look. Since she was so encouraging to me to buy this car, that's some real influence to keep the New Yorker lights. I might just look for some to have, but it's going to stay like it is.

Funny thing is this popped up on YouTube yesterday. Note tail lights!

Starts at 3:42

That's one of my considerations.

I was given this today.... By "road wheels" I believe they referring to Magnums. So.. a 14" Magnum could be correct and a 15" would be close enough.

View attachment 600148
congrats on a great catch - what a beautiful 300, with early tailllights, too....... can't go wrong with Spanish Red, the white interior really sets it off, didn't know the "road wheels" (Magnums as we know then now....) were released mid-year.....

This person (Adam) on You Tube highlights truly notable cars and he also made a video highlighting the 300L and its outstanding design. I enjoy his videos as they are usually very down to earth in terms of presentation, well researched in terms of their accuracy and I agree with a lot of his opinions/conclusions.

Here is his on the 300L:

The plot thickens....

First, there is a reverb unit. I didn't see it before. Of course, I didn't look that hard.

j4Lj8Pc.jpg

And I got the owners manual I bought on eBay today and it says this:

dKLe093.png

And that switch is right where they say.

mZGXeFA.jpg

and it pulls down.

ZBvjJGG.jpg

The reverb doesn't work though. No idea why just yet. Everything is stiff on the car from sitting... The radio didn't work at first, but after playing with the knobs, I got it to pick up an FM signal.

My first thoughts are maybe someone swapped the dash pad.

I made a refridgerator magnet out of the old L emblem. 3D printed with a tea light stuck in the back.

kAadtCy.jpg

I almost bought a 300L a few years ago. I t was listed on Kijiji in Hamilton Ontario, the ad said it was from California. I was never able to get ahold of seller, I think it was listed twice.
White car, looked nice in the adds. Often wonder if the seller was on here or what happened to the car.

Back