My son bought his first car today!

mrfury68

Reaction score
My 17 year old son bought his first car today. I was as excited as he was. Granted, it's not a C-body but I thought I would share our fun memory. He bought an '87 Chrysler LeBaron GTS with a 2.2 litre turbo. It is a two owner, garage kept time capsule. It was undercoated when new and led a pampered life. There is no rust and it still wears its original Rosewood Mist paint and factory pin striping. The interior is dark red velour and very comfortable and not faded anywhere. I would call this car a survivor. The A/C needs serviced but I've done several of those over the years. I worked at a Chrysler / Plymouth dealer back in ' 84-'85 and remember their debut in 1985. I always liked these cars, especially the turbo models. My son always had a passion for older cars and makes the trip to Carlisle with me annually. When this car became available, and the price was more than right for the condition the car was in, and the mileage (90K) I asked my son what he thought. He couldn't believe he could afford it and said he would love owning an old Mopar of his own. I'm looking forward to all of the father & son memories we will share with "his" car and "our" Fury.
P_20190325_175330_LL (2).jpg
P_20190325_171934_LL.jpg

Careful when the Turbo waste-gate sticks...GTS then stands for Goes Too Slow when the turbo is not functioning ..
Great cars,had an 86 myself 20 years ago.
2 head gaskets,radiator, a turbo, and couple waste gates.
Mine was the slush-o-matic,but I did drive the 5 speed.
The stick cars are really quick and fun to drive.
The other half cannot drive stick do the slush-o-matic was chosen.

Congrats on the purchase. Mopar or No-car!
The apple does not fall far from the tree!!
87 had the good turbo and computer set up.
For your son,he can check out this site;
The Chrysler K-Car Club
Very helpful site.
They also have a FB page,too.

That’s fantastic you’re a very lucky man that you and your boy have that in common. My son and I have been on some memorable road trips together to go pick up vehicles. I cherish those times rolling down the road telling stories and talking life. First time he was only 15 and we flew into Phoenix and drove 1600 miles home in a 95 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins that he ended up working and paying for. He drove most of the way. He’s 27 now and still loves his mopars.

Congrats on a unique automobile! I've got a few parts for these turbo cars in my garage lol. Keep us posted!

Great car, congrats to him! I drove a few of these back in the day when they were new. My dad worked for Chryslers:))) then and as a big family had 2 lease and one P.E. car which amounted to no less than 4 new cars per year. I remember a few of these turbo cars being relatively fast and I can also tell you firsthand that if he tries to Dukes of Hazard that particular model high and far enough that none of the doors will ever shut right again and he’ll likely have some transmission issues...:lol:

Last edited:
Almost bought one of those a few years ago ( still kicking myself on that ) ended up with an old box bodied Crown Vic. Oh well.
That GTS is a nice Car, and a great way to bond with your son.

One of the 1st things I'd suggest is a new fuel filter and maybe look into a picking up a quality fuel pump. Going "lean" while in boost is the easiest way to turn that engine into a large repair bill. I'd probably run some injector cleaner also. Before and if you start raising the boost I'd look into adjusting the bands on the transmission...maybe increase the line pressure. A reverse manual valve body is fun too.
The turbo cars can last a long time when driven normally. Unfortunately the boost is very addictive, and if you haven't done your research you can turn a well running machine into a oil burning crapbox in about 15 seconds.
Here's a Lancer I used to own...have fun and congrats!
20171002_160533.jpg

Nice start! and to him, the '87 is "really old," their perspective is different. my '92 Acclaim is still my regular/daily driver, if well cared for, these little cars last quite a long time........... congrats to him.

Fwd turbo Dodges are fun for sure, have used many as daily drivers back in the day

Very cool. Congrats to you and your son. I’m sure he’ll enjoy driving it and caring for it.

Congrats on his first ride. I remember those cars, I have worked on a few over the years. Not many have survived around here though. The turbo makes it alot more enjoyable

Still have a fwd turbo mopar and have fun with it. I hope you and your son have fun also. If you need any info there are quite a few guys here that can help with these 2.2 turbo devils.

My 17 year old son bought his first car today. I was as excited as he was. Granted, it's not a C-body but I thought I would share our fun memory. He bought an '87 Chrysler LeBaron GTS with a 2.2 litre turbo. It is a two owner, garage kept time capsule. It was undercoated when new and led a pampered life. There is no rust and it still wears its original Rosewood Mist paint and factory pin striping. The interior is dark red velour and very comfortable and not faded anywhere. I would call this car a survivor. The A/C needs serviced but I've done several of those over the years. I worked at a Chrysler / Plymouth dealer back in ' 84-'85 and remember their debut in 1985. I always liked these cars, especially the turbo models. My son always had a passion for older cars and makes the trip to Carlisle with me annually. When this car became available, and the price was more than right for the condition the car was in, and the mileage (90K) I asked my son what he thought. He couldn't believe he could afford it and said he would love owning an old Mopar of his own. I'm looking forward to all of the father & son memories we will share with "his" car and "our" Fury. View attachment 272699 View attachment 272700
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats to him. Now for a little fuel on the fire. A couple of adjustable inline restrictors (graingervalves), and small bleed holes in the rubber line downstream will change the manifold pressure, and the car will really scoot.

My 17 year old son bought his first car today. I was as excited as he was. Granted, it's not a C-body but I thought I would share our fun memory. He bought an '87 Chrysler LeBaron GTS with a 2.2 litre turbo. It is a two owner, garage kept time capsule. It was undercoated when new and led a pampered life. There is no rust and it still wears its original Rosewood Mist paint and factory pin striping. The interior is dark red velour and very comfortable and not faded anywhere. I would call this car a survivor. The A/C needs serviced but I've done several of those over the years. I worked at a Chrysler / Plymouth dealer back in ' 84-'85 and remember their debut in 1985. I always liked these cars, especially the turbo models. My son always had a passion for older cars and makes the trip to Carlisle with me annually. When this car became available, and the price was more than right for the condition the car was in, and the mileage (90K) I asked my son what he thought. He couldn't believe he could afford it and said he would love owning an old Mopar of his own. I'm looking forward to all of the father & son memories we will share with "his" car and "our" Fury. View attachment 272699 View attachment 272700
LOOKZ ABOUT LIKE MY '87 GTC COUPE, JUST AH FEW MORE DOORZ. DEAD RINGER FOR MY WIFE'S NEW WHEN SHE PICKED IT OUT, CEPT HERS WAZ BABY BLUE AND 2.2L FI. AND, HER FOOT IZ HEAVY ENOUGH WITHOUT THE TURBO, I KNOW THIS AZ TRUTH, Jer

Back