My timing mark is jumping around.

Our '66 Newport 383 2bbl had a beaded, metal gasket on the flange/base of the distributor. A replaceable part AND one that might be forgotten around by somebody that didn't know what it was. The '67 Newport 383-4 was the same, but the '70 Monaco 383-N has a harder plastic thick/wide o-ring seal on the smaller-diameter partn of the dist housing which fits INTO the block. Both serve the same purpose as an "oil leak/seep preventer". EACH distributor would interchange. Flange with gasket or embedded seal in the housing. Might be some pictures/illustrations in the downloadable service and parts books at www.mymopar.com .

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Our '66 Newport 383 2bbl had a beaded, metal gasket on the flange/base of the distributor. A replaceable part AND one that might be forgotten around by somebody that didn't know what it was. The '67 Newport 383-4 was the same, but the '70 Monaco 383-N has a harder plastic thick/wide o-ring seal on the smaller-diameter partn of the dist housing which fits INTO the block. Both serve the same purpose as an "oil leak/seep preventer". EACH distributor would interchange. Flange with gasket or embedded seal in the housing. Might be some pictures/illustrations in the downloadable service and parts books at www.mymopar.com .

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Looking at the 67 shop manual the 67 V-8 doesn't show a seal (the illustration for the 6 cylinder DOES show an o-ring seal).

Curiously this is from the manual

"DISTRIBUT0R INSTALLATI0N
(1) Position distributor on engine. Align rotor with marks previously scribed on distributor housing.
Clean top of cylinder block to insure a good seal between distributor base and block."

I always remember seeing seals of some kind but my son insists when he puled the distrib. out last night there was nothing. Maybe he's right and I should stop giving him grief:)

Last edited:
Looking at the 67 shop manual the 67 V-8 doesn't show a seal (the illustration for the 6 cylinder DOES show an o-ring seal).

Curiously this is from the manual

"DISTRIBUT0R INSTALLATI0N
(1) Position distributor on engine. Align rotor with marks previously scribed on distributor housing.
Clean top of cylinder block to insure a good seal between distributor base and block."

I always remember seeing seals of some kind but my son insists when he puled the distrib. out last night there was nothing. Maybe he's right and I should stop giving him grief:)
Mystery solved! I had him look around some more and he discovered the metal "seal" stuck to the block. Dad feels better now:)

Back