MY Unicorn X RARE 69 Monaco 500 Convertible

That emblem was never installed on a 66 Monaco from the factory, either USA or Canada production, FWIW. Van's listing is in error there.

I do not know if it was ever on a 69 Dodge C body. Perhaps late production? Day 2 mod?

Regardless, you have a real gem in the rough there! Good luck with it.

Glad I asked, now I know, My cars build date I believe from decoding help on here is Jan. 06 1969. Just curious I like the look of no headrest when the top is down especially the older low back buckets like the 64 an such.

Congratulations!

A very rare MoPar muscle convertible.

Any 1969 Dodge or Plymouth “L code” convertible with a 440 magnum/Super Commando, is quite rare and desirable.

My humble opinion is this was the deal of the year!

Last edited:
Glad I asked, now I know, My cars build date I believe from decoding help on here is Jan. 06 1969. Just curious I like the look of no headrest when the top is down especially the older low back buckets like the 64 an such.
You and I think alike on headrests, they are visually unappealing.

I'm partial to the headrests, maybe the style of the headrest make a difference.

These look sporty,
31622891-1969-dodge-polara-std.jpg

These not so much (probably not original)
What is it about the tops, some fold down all the way, some not like this one.
Image1.jpg

Alan

I'm partial to the headrests, maybe the style of the headrest make a difference.

These look sporty,
View attachment 545160

These not so much (probably not original)
What is it about the tops, some fold down all the way, some not like this one.
View attachment 545161

Alan
The green car with tan guts has been talked about on this forum before. It does have a "custom" interior.

Congratulations on a beautiful score. Please keep us updated as you bring this one back to road worthy condition. It makes you wonder how many more nice old cars are sitting out there in somebodies shed or lean to waiting to be discovered. BTW with that much grunt under the hood, headrests may prevent whiplash. :thumbsup:

Thats my green Polara guys, pic is from 2019 before I bought it. Don't particularly like my headrest either, love that black Polara though its bad ***.

Those humps have some padding an they lay on top of the folded mechanism and the black car does not have that, his is smooth and flat. My guess is two kinds of vert mechanisms. Even when my top is up it looks different than other 69 Polara's. Dham I like that black car. If you look in my garage photos of the back seat top down you can see the humps better, kind of unusual I have to say. Hell I might not even have a real Mopar top mechanism. Have to look at it closer.

Monaco Update! Found broadcast sheet but not in great shape, installed missing Monaco grille emblem, installed original hubcaps, removed rear mudflaps, cleaned out trunk and the original trunk mat still almost fully intact and oh yeah woohoo the top works. I have already started buying some NOS parts and will be looking for more sthings. Let me know what you have. Thanks

Missing Monaco1.jpg

missing Monaco2.jpg

original trunkmat.jpg

top works1a.jpg

top works1b.jpg

top works1c.jpg

top works2.jpg

broadcast sheet1.jpg

broadcast sheet2.jpg

Those humps have some padding an they lay on top of the folded mechanism and the black car does not have that, his is smooth and flat. My guess is two kinds of vert mechanisms. Even when my top is up it looks different than other 69 Polara's. Dham I like that black car. If you look in my garage photos of the back seat top down you can see the humps better, kind of unusual I have to say. Hell I might not even have a real Mopar top mechanism. Have to look at it closer.
Gorgeous car! Only one style fuselage convertible frame across the board, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth. None of them had humps like yours. They were all flat, like the black car is. Something's going on there.

I tried checking your garage, unfortunately I was unable to locate the beacon that directs me there. I want to see more.

Monaco Update! Found broadcast sheet but not in great shape, installed missing Monaco grille emblem, installed original hubcaps, removed rear mudflaps, cleaned out trunk and the original trunk mat still almost fully intact and oh yeah woohoo the top works. I have already started buying some NOS parts and will be looking for more sthings. Let me know what you have. Thanks
It's getting there!

Back