Mystery switch?

Daniel Romero

Reaction score
Separate question:

I have a pullout switch under and to the right of the steering column. I have no idea what it does but as I was trying to get to the speedometer cable to disconnect and grease it, I disconnected the mystery switch from the underside dash panel that surrounds the steering column, I noticed it's labeled. There's one connection marked brake, one says tail and I believe the other said headlamp? It's in a 1973 Fury and I'm very curious as to what this does or used to do! I'll post a picture tomorrow if I need to but it's too cold to go back out tonight.

IMG_3936.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG

I think it's a headlight switch. It might not be used for one, but that's what it's intended for.

Have you followed the wires?

Any evidence of it being an unmarked police car? I had a gran fury that was used by the F.B.I. and it was not a regular police package.

Any evidence of it being an unmarked police car? I had a gran fury that was used by the F.B.I. and it was not a regular police package.

Not that I can tell. If what I was told is true, I'm only the third owner. Supposedly the guy I got it from got it from his neighbor. It has a dealer sticker on it from Trinidad, Colorado. It even has a Denver Broncos bumper sticker that is from the era. I can't see any screw holes where there would have been lights installed (although now I'm thinking I might go ahead and hook some up now that I know what this is for!). Those wires have been wrapped around that bar under the hood since I've had the car but I never knew till today that they came from that switch. I kinda doubt it was a police car though. It's been very lightly used.

Could have been to turn off tail/brake lights when running from the po-po. Tell people it was used to run Coors across state lines, add $1000 to value.

Back