Need advice, rebuild or replace distributor ??

65GUS

Reaction score
Hi I have a 65 Fury 3 with a 318 poly motor. 112K miles, all stock and original. my distributor rotor seems to be eating up the Center contact on the inside of my distributor cap. Underneath Where the coil wire plugs into on the top of the cap. The top metal contact of the rotor wears the graphite or carbon contact down and even starts to grind into the cap.the last 2 caps only lasted maybe 1000 miles each. It was a stock points dist. But was changed over to a Pertronix electronic conversion kit b4 I aquired the car . There is vertical play in the dist. shaft like maybe 1/16th", 1/10th" maybe more , it's hard to tell, but it seems tight side to side. is it worn out ? Anyways, should i have this one rebuilt ?, reuse the Pertronix ? Or replace with new dist. and ECU box ? ( which brands?) Or go HEI ?? Advice appreciated, thanks

I am almost sure the bottom nylon shaft collar broke on you, pull it out and look.
If it needs rebuilding I can do it.

Last edited:
Thanks halifaxhops, I was hoping you would see this and reply. Can you PM me as I have a couple of questions. Thanks

Back