Need battery tray size, '68 Fury

Rosco

Reaction score
Sounds silly- why the $&#@ don't you just go measure it?
The car is not with me and I'm going to visit it real soon w/ a new battery and need to know if it'll fit.

Car is a 1968 Fury ll w/ 318.

Inside of tray dimensions would be great- ie 11" x 7"...

Thanks!!

Your tray will take a group 27 battery with no problems.

That would be your battery of choice.... Good capacity with correct size (height/width/length) and the terminals correctly oriented. Your car probably came with a group 24, but let's say you had a cop car, it would have had the group 27. It's also about the largest that will fit.

BTW, I just shopped for batteries (for my Ranger truck) and by far, the cheapest seller was Costco for an Interstate battery.

Interstate still has some "black body" batteries, for their import OEM batteries (only the stickers define which OEM brand they are for).

Even the Group 27 has some "wiggle room" on the stock tray.

CBODY67

Thanks you guys.

I was considering using an Optima redtop 78. It has dedicated side-mount studs w/out the top-mount posts. I only plan to use the side-mounts as my battery goes in and out of the Fury as often as some people change their underwear. But, I'm pretty sure it won't fit- the type 24 (correct fit for my car) is 6 13/16 deep and the 78 is about 7 3/8".

I was hoping for some dimensions on the inside of the tray where the battery lives but the Optima redtop 34 fits perfectly and comes w/ an optional side-mount stud setup. Only issue is it still has the top-mount posts. Not really a big deal but I'd prefer to just have the side-mounts since I don't plan to use the top-mount posts.

A Group 27 is a snug fit, minimal wiggle room, this is the battery size from Google.
Group 27 Batteries 12.0625 x 6.8125 x 8.875

Alan

A Group 27 is a snug fit, minimal wiggle room, this is the battery size from Google.
Group 27 Batteries 12.0625 x 6.8125 x 8.875

Alan
Hi Alan,
thanks for chiming in.
I'm getting the understanding that there's not a whole lot of wiggle room in the battery-specific stock battery tray.
I've found an Optima battery that fits my needs AND will fit my tray. I like Optima for where my car lives (Mexico) cuz we've had and seen problems with regular lead-acid batteries from all the washboard.
I guess I could look at other types of AGM batteries but Optima is well supported down there. Stock at Auto Zone in La Paz.

Back