Need help/advise on Upgrading '73 Newport 400 from 2bbl to a 4bbl holley

Goose

Reaction score
Hi all!

Could use some help/advise. I'd like to replace my current 2bbl on my '73 Newport Custom with a 4 barrel holley...but I'd like to keep stock appearance with stock looking air cleaner. So the new intake mani has to be just same height as current stock one so a stock 4bbl air cleaner can fit on top.
Not sure as to which Holley 4bbl to go with, also which new intake to choose.

Any and all help will be greatly appreaciated! Thanks!

The Weiand 8008 keeps the stock height.
If you plan to go Holley choose a vacuum secondary carb no more than 750 cfm.

Performer 383, slightly taller than stock but still fits under the hood.
Edelbrock 650 to 750 cfm thunder series. Easy to adapt linkage and easy to adjust. More importntly it will probably be tuned pretty close out of the box, no power valve and unlike many holly carbs it will hold a tune!

Thanks all for your help!!

Questions....

1) If I went with an Edelbrock intake, would it be the 2186 or 7186?
2) I've been looking at a Holley 4160, would this be an appropriate model Holley? if not, which do you recommend?

Thanks all!

Thanks all for your help!!

Questions....

1) If I went with an Edelbrock intake, would it be the 2186 or 7186?
2) I've been looking at a Holley 4160, would this be an appropriate model Holley? if not, which do you recommend?

Thanks all!

7186 for the manifold.
1406 or 1806 for carb.
1406 if you do not plan any performance upgrades. 1806 if you want to add a cam, hotter ignition or HP manifolds with a large 2 1/2 exhaust system. More tune ability in the 1806. If you plan a head swap for better compression or a high compression rebuild then you may be under carbureted.

7186 for the manifold.
1406 or 1806 for carb.
1406 if you do not plan any performance upgrades. 1806 if you want to add a cam, hotter ignition or HP manifolds with a large 2 1/2 exhaust system. More tune ability in the 1806. If you plan a head swap for better compression or a high compression rebuild then you may be under carbureted.

Thanks for your help!

One solitary, lonely, vote for keeping to stock.

I would normally agree with you...I'm not looking to make my 4 door Newport a "muscle car", lol...already got one of those...a '71 Buick GS stage 1. I'm looking for a little bit more power, and most important...a little quicker response, and I want it "stock appearing".

7186 for the manifold.
1406 or 1806 for carb.

holley 1406? hmmm...searching for 1406 holley turns up holley 4160...is this the equivilant?

One solitary, lonely, vote for keeping to stock.
Makes good sense to leave it stock. I found from personal experience that changing over from a 2bbl to a 4bbl makes the car less responsive and the hp gains aren't all that great. The 4bbl might come in handy if you want to pass someone on the freeway but other than that it is mostly a waste of time and money.

1406 is a edelbrock carb. Put a stock cast iron intake on and a thermoquad then you will be really stock and better mpg, reponse, and very stock for a 400.

Back