Need help ASAP removing console shifter knob!

FurySp

Reaction score
Please help, I can't figure out how to remove the console shifter knob on my '70 Sport Fury. I'm replacing the carpet, so the job now stands still because of the knob wont come off. I removed the tiny screw from the shifter shaft that holds the knob in place, but that's where my understanding ends. :BangHead:

I sounds like you have removed the very small allen screw from the side of the handle, so now you need to unscrew the plastic button on top of the shifter handle - just turn it counterclockwise. Good luck.

Did that, it was tight but got it open-what happened was a bang and the button started moving, but just moves and moves around-doesn't come off. And the button cannot be pushed anymore, it's stuck somehow so i can't move the shifter. What am I doing wrong?

It is very late here, and I might not be recalling what needs to be done to remove the shifter since it has been a long time since I have done that. In thinking more about this, I think you might have to loosen the allen screw and unscrew the chrome knob and the button together (maybe depress the button at the same time as you are unscrewing the chrome knob or pull up on the chrome knob to engage the button as you are unscrewing them both together). Probably someone will be able to answer your question before I can get to one of my consoles to check in the morning. Not sure what the "bang" might be.

Ok, i hope i didn't break anything, because the car is basically unable to move right now because the shifter button is stuck and cannot change gears and right now i don't understand why is that button stuck in the upper position. All help still is very welcome, in the mean time i'll try to figure something out.

I got rid of the stuck situation, just needed to spin the knob and the button, it seems to have a right spot where it moves freely, phew now the car can at least move.
Looked up several forums, the knob should just come off by spinning it after removing the allen screw there sould be no magic to it. But the knob neither the button just doesn't come off in my car!

Well, there was no help available so I needed to forget the knob and make it the hard way, just force the carpet under the console and make careful cuts. Still turned out damn good.
But Im still curious about that knob whats wrong with it.

I checked today. You should only have to loosen the allen screw and then turn the knob counter clockwise with the push button in it to take both of them off together (there is a keyway in the knob that the plastic button slides up and down in it and causes both of them to twist off together - you cannot unscrew the plastic button separately). A friend of mine said sometimes the plastic button strips and binds on the cable it is screwed to, so you have to twist the knob pretty hard while pulling upward to get it off. I have never had that happen though, but it sounds like that may have happened to you. If you need another button that is not stripped, I will look to see if I can find one and send it to you.

OK, yes that may be the case here. I really tried everything that is possible without breaking anything. If you have a button that would be awesome, I could break my old one and get the knob off and see what is wrong inside.

It seems like you should still be able to turn the knob off while pulling up on it so that both the knob and button will come off together. That button is only plastic and the cable it screws onto is pretty small, so those threads can't be holding it on all that well.

Back