Need positive cable length '68 Fury

Rosco

Reaction score
I'm having a custom positive battery cable built for my '68 Fury ll with a 318. Need cable length from battery to starter.

The part number for the positive cable is 2926 086 and the official parts catalog does not list a length (they only list a length for the negative-28")

Don't want to mess this up as I am kicking down a lot of dough for the new cable and my existing cable is a goofy, modified mess that isn't routed along the top of the fender. So I have no idea what it should be.

I've looked high and low. There's lots of cables listed for sale but rarely do they include the length. The best I can find is a pre-made cable listed at 49". I'd prefer to hear from an actual Fury owner what works rather than relying on a spec. from an aftermarket parts supplier.

Thanks!!

If you are in a hurry for a answer why not just measure it yourself (if the engine & car are assembled)? Just look for a original (old) picture of the inner fender routing and use a simple tape measure or string/rope, or better yet some heavy bendable wire/rod route it, measure it. Unless you want a concours car fit for Amelia Island a simple on car measurement should suffice.
(I may have a old 1968 Fury inner fender pic for reference)

Agree ---- why go by the "book" length --- and be 2" short ?!?!
Measure--- and give yourself an extra 2" for slack / ease of installation.....

I agree with all. My problem is the car is in Mexico. I'm here.

I rely on the forum for so many answers that I could get myself if my car were in front of me. It's frustrating. . .

I'm trying to get parts together to throw on the Fury this spring. Cable's one of them. Don't want to screw it up.

I'm hoping someone has gone through this recently (on a 318 Fury) and could offer up a real world measurement.

Why not get a repop from National Moparts?
They are readily available and for your application fits small block and bigblock
I replaced one last fall and got one for my 68 Newport as well.
Surely the big block one should fit since the starter and relay are in the same location
Battery & Ground Cables, C Body
20210909_173337.jpg

Last edited:
appreciate your suggestion. I've decided to have a custom cable made up so would appreciate a "good" measurement.

Too, I remember from reviewing your ammeter bypass thread that your relay is not in the same location as mine. Mine is located on the inner fender about 8 inches or so from the battery tray. I believe yours is on the firewall. I might be wrong.

Either way, still looking for a measurement. Thanks.

appreciate your suggestion. I've decided to have a custom cable made up so would appreciate a "good" measurement.

Too, I remember from reviewing your ammeter bypass thread that your relay is not in the same location as mine. Mine is located on the inner fender about 8 inches or so from the battery tray. I believe yours is on the firewall. I might be wrong.

The car in that thread is a 69 Fury.
I do own a 68 Newport which has the relay in the same location as your car and is shown in the video in that thread.

Rog. I didn't watch the vid. but I did notice the relay on your '69.

I'd still love to have an actual measurement from someone who replaced their cable recently. Too much $$ to end up short.

The part number for the positive cable is 2926 086 and the official parts catalog does not list a length (they only list a length for the negative-28")

Part # for 67-68 should be 2822502. Lots of repros out there, likely much nicer than someone's custom-built. I do have an original if you have to have a measurement, keep in mind there are 3 cables in the assembly.

Agree ---- why go by the "book" length --- and be 2" short ?!?!
Measure--- and give yourself an extra 2" for slack / ease of installation.....
Yep, it's so complicated that it's just that simple!
I agree with all. My problem is the car is in Mexico. I'm here.
Where's here? Your location shows your in south Baja Mex.
I'm hoping someone has gone through this recently (on a 318 Fury) and could offer up a real world measurement.
See "mobileparts" comment
I'd still love to have an actual measurement from someone who replaced their cable recently. Too much $$ to end up short.

You must be a really anal retentive person if you can't do this on your own! Good Luck

Part # for 67-68 should be 2822502. Lots of repros out there, likely much nicer than someone's custom-built. I do have an original if you have to have a measurement, keep in mind there are 3 cables in the assembly.
I'd love to get that measurement! I just need the length from the battery post to the starter.
thanks.

You must be a really anal retentive person if you can't do this on your own! Good Luck
Hey, great suggestion!
thanks

that last post was meant to be directed towards Stubbs only...
thanks for your input.
BTW, I live in Tahoe City, CA. Car lives in so. Baja

I really do appreciate all the great suggestions as to where to find an exact replacement cable. There seem to be many options out there.
However, I'm having the cable built custom. My existing cable is a mess. It's a goofy replacement that runs directly from the battery to the starter and doesn't route along the recess on the inside of the fender. So, I have no idea what the correct cable should be. I'd like to route it the right way- not draped over the steering box as it is. Therefore I need a length that will work and not leave me short, which would be retarded.

My problem is, as I've pointed out, the car's not with me here. It's down in Mexico. NOt a lot of '68 furys to look at in my area- I live in a ski town where we all drive 4x4 trucks and subarus....I can't take the measurement as has been suggested here.

IF anyone has a measurement for the positive cable on a '68 Fury with a 318 from the battery positive post to the starter (yes, I'm aware of the relay cable from the positive post and the switch cable from the relay to the starter that are bundled with the battery to starter) that would be great. IF not, no worries.

I'm having a heck of a time getting a length. All the cables I look at on line only say things like, "exact fit", "cable length will match original", etc. But no dimensions.
I called Napa and O'relliys (my two local face to face options) and neither can offer a length. I emailed a guy on ebay selling them and he hasn't gotten back. I downloaded the 1968 Mopar Parts Catalog and it doesn't give measurements.
I could start calling the places that list my cable and asking for dimensions but my feeling is if I'm not buying anything from them don't bother them. I thought the forum here would be a great place to get the dimension.
If nobody has it handy, no biggie. I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll order one from one of the places mentioned here but right now, real simple, I've decided to order a custom built one from the same outfit who made me my negative cable last year. I liked it and wanted to go with them for the positive. It's that simple. There are options, I know, but this is the route I'm taking.
IF anyone has the length I'd love to hear from you. thanks.
Sorry, getting frustrated. I feel like this question has garnered every response from "you must be anal retentive" to why don't you just order one... I could do that and maybe I am anal retentive but I just want to order a custom built one and don't have a measurement!

I have a 68 Fury II with a 318.
I have never removed the referenced cables.
If I ever get to tearing the wiring out, I would measure it for you.
However, that’s a ways off.
I do have a mini starter for it, but I have to put the brakes back together, which is about 20 projects deep in the queue for myself…
83FC0581-D86D-4F00-AD94-C166C6A46F4B.jpeg
BDF796C2-5EF6-466F-9E0F-04217C7AFFDD.jpeg
4C79A6C0-122E-4376-8111-FA899CCE7FE9.jpeg

I have a 68 Fury II with a 318.
I have never removed the referenced cables.
If I ever get to tearing the wiring out, I would measure it for you.
However, that’s a ways off.
I do have a mini starter for it, but I have to put the brakes back together, which is about 20 projects deep in the queue for myself…
View attachment 521738View attachment 521739View attachment 521740
Hey,
thanks for the offer. I'd like to route the new cable correctly and your photos are a great resource that I can follow. Thanks for taking the time to post those.
Elwood looks to be in about the same shape as my '68 when I started this process. With the Fury 2 it's a labor of love. Not a hotrod thing, obviously. Just a big old, ridiculously long labamba mobile!! Glad to see you have and are keeping alive a '68 Fury ll !! The proletariat 1960's family sedan.

Hey,
thanks for the offer. I'd like to route the new cable correctly and your photos are a great resource that I can follow. Thanks for taking the time to post those.
Elwood looks to be in about the same shape as my '68 when I started this process. With the Fury 2 it's a labor of love. Not a hotrod thing, obviously. Just a big old, ridiculously long labamba mobile!! Glad to see you have and are keeping alive a '68 Fury ll !! The proletariat 1960's family sedan.
Thank you.
My grandfather had one and this one is very similar.

Back