Need positive cable length '68 Fury

Measured 2822502, it's 54-1/2" center-center of the lugs. I found a NOS one in the pre-internet days which matched my original to the T. The repros aren't exactly the same in various details, most notably the originals used a brownish cloth tape & repros are black. I'm sure 99% could care less about that as long as it works. Have at it & ignore the rare trolls on this site! :)

Measured 2822502, it's 54-1/2" center-center of the lugs. I found a NOS one in the pre-internet days which matched my original to the T. The repros aren't exactly the same in various details, most notably the originals used a brownish cloth tape & repros are black. I'm sure 99% could care less about that as long as it works. Have at it & ignore the rare trolls on this site! :)
Much appreciated! thanks a ton for taking the time to measure. The only measurement I could find (which was online) said 49". I wasn't comfortable ordering something based on one dimension from an online, can't talk to them, outfit. Good to hear from someone who has one in their hands and knows it works.

BTW, I looked at that part number-2822502 which was shown as "w/out heavy duty clutch" which I suspected was for a manual. Mine's an automatic but it probably makes no difference when you're dealing with a 68 Fury. Cbarge confirmed the starter is in the same location- big block/small block so I'm going to assume we are good to go.

Much appreciated! thanks a ton for taking the time to measure. The only measurement I could find (which was online) said 49". I wasn't comfortable ordering something based on one dimension from an online, can't talk to them, outfit. Good to hear from someone who has one in their hands and knows it works.

BTW, I looked at that part number-2822502 which was shown as "w/out heavy duty clutch" which I suspected was for a manual. Mine's an automatic but it probably makes no difference when you're dealing with a 68 Fury. Cbarge confirmed the starter is in the same location- big block/small block so I'm going to assume we are good to go.
Now you have me really scratching my head. All 67's use the same cable, 2822502 except Canadian 318. Thought 68's were the same as the cars are near identical but the parts book does show a new # that you mentioned. No idea what the difference is.
batt cables.jpg

You are SMART to NOT Trust " On Line ".....
" On Line " is generally a recipe for disaster......

Now you have me really scratching my head. All 67's use the same cable, 2822502 except Canadian 318. Thought 68's were the same as the cars are near identical but the parts book does show a new # that you mentioned. No idea what the difference is.
View attachment 521756
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 7.07.36 PM.png

Here's the parts catalog page for the '68.

You know I'm new to the parts catalog and maybe someone can chime in here and clear the smoke but I see what you're referring to. It may be the correct part number is listed at the bottom (2822 502) and the one I assumed was correct (2926 086) is actually for a 383 or 440 w/ auto trans? Either way, I'm going to go with your measurement as we know that works and the parts catalog numbers may or may not help me.

I really do appreciate all the great suggestions as to where to find an exact replacement cable. There seem to be many options out there.
However, I'm having the cable built custom. My existing cable is a mess. It's a goofy replacement that runs directly from the battery to the starter and doesn't route along the recess on the inside of the fender. So, I have no idea what the correct cable should be. I'd like to route it the right way- not draped over the steering box as it is. Therefore I need a length that will work and not leave me short, which would be retarded.

My problem is, as I've pointed out, the car's not with me here. It's down in Mexico. NOt a lot of '68 furys to look at in my area- I live in a ski town where we all drive 4x4 trucks and subarus....I can't take the measurement as has been suggested here.

IF anyone has a measurement for the positive cable on a '68 Fury with a 318 from the battery positive post to the starter (yes, I'm aware of the relay cable from the positive post and the switch cable from the relay to the starter that are bundled with the battery to starter) that would be great. IF not, no worries.

I'm having a heck of a time getting a length. All the cables I look at on line only say things like, "exact fit", "cable length will match original", etc. But no dimensions.
I called Napa and O'relliys (my two local face to face options) and neither can offer a length. I emailed a guy on ebay selling them and he hasn't gotten back. I downloaded the 1968 Mopar Parts Catalog and it doesn't give measurements.
I could start calling the places that list my cable and asking for dimensions but my feeling is if I'm not buying anything from them don't bother them. I thought the forum here would be a great place to get the dimension.
If nobody has it handy, no biggie. I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll order one from one of the places mentioned here but right now, real simple, I've decided to order a custom built one from the same outfit who made me my negative cable last year. I liked it and wanted to go with them for the positive. It's that simple. There are options, I know, but this is the route I'm taking.
IF anyone has the length I'd love to hear from you. thanks.
Sorry, getting frustrated. I feel like this question has garnered every response from "you must be anal retentive" to why don't you just order one... I could do that and maybe I am anal retentive but I just want to order a custom built one and don't have a measurement!

I understand. . . Call Quirey anyway and tell Dave Quirey what you are trying to do. I'm pretty sure he will tell you the length of his replacement cable. Very helpful guy.

BTW, I live in Tahoe City, CA. Car lives in so. Baja

Thanks for finally bringing that to the boards attention!
My problem is, as I've pointed out, the car's not with me here. It's down in Mexico.
If nobody has it handy, no biggie. I'll figure something out. I liked it and wanted to go with them for the positive. It's that simple. There are options, I know, but this is the route I'm taking.
IF anyone has the length I'd love to hear from you. thanks.
Sorry, getting frustrated. I feel like this question has garnered every response from "you must be anal retentive" to why don't you just order one... I could do that and maybe I am anal retentive but I just want to order a custom built one and don't have a measurement!

It took you 2 day to point out that the car's somewhere else from where you are. Sometimes you have to think outside the box, what do you think Jay Leno does with his cars? Be thankful you don't own a Muntz Jet and have to find parts! just sayin
BTW, I couldn't find a decent batt cable for a 66-300, I did the string thing as well as measure the old and added a couple inches to that just to CMA, went to the parts store and had them twist one up for me. When you get to the point that you're beating your own dead horse about something, that's what you get! You asked a question, you got a bunch of answers, but that's not what you want to read or hear. I will not hold your hand or spoon feed you the cable you want, that's your own doing! Good Luck

I understand. . . Call Quirey anyway and tell Dave Quirey what you are trying to do. I'm pretty sure he will tell you the length of his replacement cable. Very helpful guy.
OK. I took your advise against my best judgement and called Quirey. They were actually SUPER cool and the guy I spoke to, Todd, opened up a positive cable from their stock and measured it for me. No questions asked. Did me a solid and ended by saying if you have any other questions don't hesitate to call.
You were right. Took all of 60 seconds and I will definitely support those guys if/when I find something to buy from them!
Only caveat is they only had a cable for a '68 big block (mine's a 318). Todd measured 52.5" end to end (battery post to starter post- for anyone else looking for dimensions). With that and the 54.5" from PH27L7 I'll go with the bigger dimension to be safe.
Thanks for the help.

Back