Need Vacuum Advance Canister

BigblueC

Reaction score
I've tried searching here and google, so don't bash me if I missed something. I'm trying to find a correct vacuum advance canister, preferably not dry NOS stuff, for my 65' 413 (340 hp), original canister arm is stamped "5". When mounted, the arm curves out toward the distributor body, then bends up with the pin. Does anybody know a source and/or the correct part #? I found this site Vintage Auto Parts, Inc. , but I don't know my part #.

65' 413 (340 hp), original canister arm is stamped "5"

I looked there , amazon, and at summit racing. Summit almost had what I need, but the arm bends inward and not toward the distributor body like I need.

I've tried searching here and google, so don't bash me if I missed something. I'm trying to find a correct vacuum advance canister, preferably not dry NOS stuff, for my 65' 413 (340 hp), original canister arm is stamped "5". When mounted, the arm curves out toward the distributor body, then bends up with the pin. Does anybody know a source and/or the correct part #? I found this site Vintage Auto Parts, Inc. , but I don't know my part #.

65' 413 (340 hp), original canister arm is stamped "5"

If you can find a correct part number, you may be able to look it up on NAPA's web site. I recently did this looking for a pinion seal for my '66. I popped in the Chrysler part number and viola! The correct seal came right up.

Last edited:
The point dizzy vacuum canisters are difficult to find, arm bends out. The electronic dizzys have the arm bend in and are easy to find you can drill your point plate (some have both holes),to use a newer style canister. Same size hole, you can mock it up with new canister and figure where to drill the exact location is not super critical as long as it can move freely.

70bigblockdodge - If I modified the plate and used the canister that is available from Summit (standard motor product, bends inward instead of outward), would this new location/angle effect the degrees of advance?

Maybe not the total amount of advance the vacuum advance puts into the distributor, but the rate or how fast the advance is applied. The advance arm that is closer to the shaft will move a shorter distance to apply X degs. of advance. The advance arm further from this shaft will have to move a longer distance to apply the same X degs. of advance. Closer to the shaft quicker advance further from the shaft slower advance. This may have been addressed by the engineers with the electronic distributors. From what I have seen so far the points distributors had the advance arm mounted further from the shaft and the electronic distributors closer to the shaft.

Yes it will change rate and total degrees depending on number on the arm and the stops on the arm but the timing itself is adjusted by turning distributor. Still better to have a working advance that may be off a bit from factory original than no vacuum advance at all.

It's kind of hard to read the parts book, but it appears that the likely p/n for your application would be 2098 197, assuming you have single points and a single 4 bbl carb.

Back