New Addition to the fleet

Polara_500

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well, thanks to 66/440's posting of a few days back and a quick trip from Minnesota to Houston and back I have a different, (read much better), version of a 65 Polara 500 convertible to fix up. Timing was perfect as I was within days of beginning on the original and the new copy needs a whole lot less body work on it. Two small pinholes for rust, one in the left front fender and one in the right rear quarter. Much better than having to replace both quarters and rockers and trunk floor, etc. - you're probably familiar with what they usually need.
upload_2016-7-20_8-54-22.png

upload_2016-7-20_8-55-2.png

One of two dents on the car, this fender also has a spot of rust so may just replace it.
upload_2016-7-20_8-56-7.png

The rust....
upload_2016-7-20_8-57-49.png

Interior is kinda rough.
upload_2016-7-20_8-59-21.png

Trunk floor is what mostly amazed me.
upload_2016-7-20_9-0-23.png

upload_2016-7-20_9-1-58.png

Here's the rear quarter rust, one small spot next to the skirt.
upload_2016-7-20_9-3-23.png

What's the last time you've seen this style key? I know it's not factory, but very cool nonetheless.
upload_2016-7-20_9-5-28.png

And Doug, this for you. Still need to excavate the other car for comparo....
upload_2016-7-20_9-6-52.png

Now that is getting it done, nothing is too far for the right car, 1200 miles 18 hours (one way).

Enjoy!

Alan

That key has to be from a Mobil gas station. I've never seen one like that.

Oh yeah, forgot that part.... something like 2840 miles with average 54 mph and 15 mpg, left home Fri morning and home Tues before lunch. I will say I35 from Paul's Valley OK through Dallas is pure nastiness, especially with a trailer. Was in a hurry, duh, on the way down so went thataway, did it a lot different on the way home and was a smooth, easy return trip. Only issue was my trailer brake kept going in and out, time to totally redo that stuff again I guess.

Last edited:
Well, thanks to 66/440's posting of a few days back and a quick trip from Minnesota to Houston and back I have a different, (read much better), version of a 65 Polara 500 convertible to fix up. Timing was perfect as I was within days of beginning on the original and the new copy needs a whole lot less body work on it. Two small pinholes for rust, one in the left front fender and one in the right rear quarter. Much better than having to replace both quarters and rockers and trunk floor, etc. - you're probably familiar with what they usually need.
View attachment 86158
View attachment 86159
One of two dents on the car, this fender also has a spot of rust so may just replace it.
View attachment 86161
The rust....
View attachment 86165
Interior is kinda rough.
View attachment 86168
Trunk floor is what mostly amazed me.
View attachment 86172
View attachment 86174
Here's the rear quarter rust, one small spot next to the skirt.
View attachment 86176
What's the last time you've seen this style key? I know it's not factory, but very cool nonetheless.
View attachment 86183
And Doug, this for you. Still need to excavate the other car for comparo....
View attachment 86187

Way-ta-go on that score. Looks like a couple of us were on the road a lot this past weekend.

That key has to be from a Mobil gas station. I've never seen one like that.
Also came with a tank tiger on the keyring!! Proves the oilfield trash sticker on the windshield, after all, it did come from Houston where it was born and raised. Oh yeah, got an invoice from the original sale too.
upload_2016-7-20_9-23-51.png

Glad you did it all safely... was a rough week in C-body land for quite a few... I got lucky too. No major mishaps.

Nice score!!! Love those Polaras!! I hit a local show with about 30 cars, there was a nice gold one!! Had to park next to him!!
image.jpeg

Very nice score! Glad to see the Ram pulled her home well and still got 15MPG (US gallon of course that's like 60MPG Canadian Imperial gallon lol with the exchange)

:stop:Does this mean you have 2 to restore?:poke:
Sharp eyes, in spite of what others have said recently. :poke:

Yes, but I don't really plan to do so. This new one is just a much better starting point and once I get it done I will allow a younger and more energetic person than myself to have an opportunity to show their talents. Have to make sure I don't let any necessary bits get away, you know?

I figure the wife and I can each take a car to a show and park next each other, would have no way to take a 3rd one anywhere - there has to be a limit somewhere and two driver 65 500's is my limit. I already passed on moparnutcase's Monaco a while back for that reason, this one merely replaces a poorer unit I already had.

The only real option for the console on a Dodge seems to have been a tach. A Chrysler could have a tach or a vacuum gauge as I understand it. I have a tach to put in there and also have a Vacuum gauge I could put in to drive the purists crazy.

Of course it's white, it seems like 98% of them are. Nice buy though.
I would fix that fender, that little dent and spot of rust doesn't warrant replacement IMO, unless you have 10 rust-free ones laying around.
If it was mine I would leave the fender skirts off of it, but that's me, and it's not mine. If you don't mind saying, what was the previous owner asking for it ?
Thanks for the pictures, I love those cars.

Back