New buy 1971 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupe

I am conflicted...it looks like a great, capable, portable set up for the shadetree mechanic, but man, does it look tippy.

I am conflicted...it looks like a great, capable, portable set up for the shadetree mechanic, but man, does it look tippy.

a lot of overhang on a c body. the lift doesn't appear to be fastened to the floor. i can picture the car starting to tip and the lift kicking out from underneath it.

Sweet, I will look into the upper control arms 70FuryConv. Thanks for the offer, let me look at mine before I decide. I might have to go with a new gas tank. Is there a good product out their that you can put into the fuel tank to clean the Carb jets. I heard of Sea Foam? Any ideas?

Update on the Fury: Last Tuesday my Uncle and I arrived at the garage where the fury has been resting for the last 11 months. I still can't get the car to start in park, only neutral. My Uncle's trailer fit a 1955 International Dump Truck on it several weeks ago for transport, big trailer. The Fury was too big for the trailer! I didnt realize the car was wider than 6.5 ft from bumper to bumper. I now have to try and get a flatbed for transport. This Tuesday or Wednesday, she should be down at my house.

My friend with the ford's has a hydralic jack like the one pictured above. Let's just say I would'nt feel too comfortable working under that car with just that jack for support.

Jon

Control Arms: definitely take a look. My concern is that what went wrong on the passenger side is about to go wrong on the driver side. I am also against repair by welding because it defeats the purpose of having control arms with replaceable ball joints. That's true, even if welding a ball joint into place doesn't damage the ball joint's internal parts thru heat, distort how it centers, or mess up alignment caster/camber.

Carb Jets: Sea Foam is the old standard. If the carb doesn't need rebuild, I'd recommend a can per half tank of gas. I believe you have a 24 gallon tank. When I worked at Advance, we recommended a can per every 12-14 gallons of gas. If there was trouble - misfires, sluggishness - we recommended using Sea Foam several tanks in a row on fuel injected cars. I never had a customer complaint about Sea Foam.

On the no start in Park: have you tried replacing the park/neutral safety switch yet? I used to temporarily ground the PNSS terminal at the starter relay. If the car then started in park, I knew its was the PNSS or the wiring from the starter relay to the PNSS. If the resistance of that wiring is OK, you could replace the PNSS and probably solve the issue, although there's a small chance that the problem could be in the valve body.

Back