New buy 1971 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupe

Jonny89

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am picking up my first vintage MOPAR this Saturday. Its a 1971 Gran Coupe, it is a four door. But this one has most all the deluxe options from 1971 with a 360ci. The car is all original from what I can tell, 90, 000 original miles. She will need a bit of work, a new vinyl top is in order, small mount of rust on the rear quarter panels and by the back window.

The first issue will be the problem on the front left wheel in the picture, any ideas as to the problem, I figure it is the ball joint, upper or lower control arm, Tie rod ect....

I really like the C body's, this one is not worth much, but she needs to be saved from the junk yard and I got it for under $900. I plan on doing a full on frame restoration if possible and car shows once she is in presentable shape. The radio and rest of the dash is in the trunk of the car.

The good news is someone did not neglect this old beast that much, there is a new master cylinder on the car, rebuilt 2 bbl carb. The motor runs very good, I ran it for 30 min while I was inspecting it. I did not drive it around the lot or home for fear of the left tire, but I did move forward and backward, all electrical works, and the automatic trans shifts smoothly in all gears.

A good friend of my is skilled in vintage fords, has the tools and a lift, so the most important part of restoration is already taken care of.

Let me know what you guys think, I am new with Mopars and have already fallen for them, slick looking cars, at least during the late 60's, early 70's.

Thanks

Jon

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

Nice car, Welcome to the sight. I always liked the 4 dr Sport Fury and 4 dr 300s. I thought it was cool that Chrysler gave some muscle touches to family cars. I remember the available console in the 4drs Mopars of the late 60's... that was cool too.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Thanks guys, I cant wait to dig into this project.

I have started a list on what to do. Does anybody know a good website to find NOS or OEM parts for a 71 Fury. I am going to try to restore this one to original spec's with correct hoses, wires, and everything else a purest would do for a restoration.

I am new to MOPAR, so any help on websites for parts would be great. Also could anybody give a guesstimate for a new vinyl top, never dealt with one before, expensive I bet. This is just a plain black style from what is still left on the car.

Here is what the roof should look like.

Thanks Jon

sport-fury-brougham.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, I am new with Mopars and have already fallen for them, slick looking cars, at least during the late 60's, early 70's.
Jon

:sSig_greetingsthor: ........ :welcome:
Nice looking Fury Jon. Welcome to the Mopar world of C bodys.
You came to the right place
As for parts suppliers, there are several. Murry Park in Ohio. Legendary for interior & top needs just to name a couple.... A google search will turn up contact info.

Will.

Will, I took a look at the Murry Park webpage, perfect, I don't live too far away either. Do you have a few more sites that would specialize in C bodies other than the 'Cuda or Charger, I seem to only find restoration parts for those models since they are the most popular.

Thank you all, I have tried a few other forums and this one hit the spot best!

This weekend I will be taking the 71 fury home, hopefully I will have time to put it on the lift, If so I will take plenty of detailed pictures, many, many questions to come for this restoration. I need to first fix the slanted front left wheel as you can see in the 1st and 2nd pictures.

Jon

Hi Jon welcome to the site. i too am a fury lover and while i havent got one yet it will happen, i have had many of these over the years so i can certainly help with regards practical advice on how it should look etc but from the few photo's you have shown it looks very original already, good score! I am certainly interested to see what the pics show underneath and we can find out why the wheel is slanted over. It may be something as simple as the top cam bolts on the upper control arm being loose and the wheel alignment now way out of whack.

Thanks 1978 NYB, I think the roof pattern is the Levant, I am not sure.

Jon

Welcome to the site, having a friend with a lift is a great asset. Stock up on beer I see some late nights ahead. Keep us posted.

I sure will. This Saturday I will be taking the car home, plenty of pictures to come this Saturday! Thanks

Jon

I sure will . This Saturday I will be taking the car home, plenty of pictures to come this Saturday!

Thanks

Jon

I Got It !

Hey Guys,

Aside from the frigid weather, I was able to pick up the 71 Gran Coupe 4 door this past Saturday. After a bit of finagling with a battery jump and some fresh antifreeze for the radiator I was able to get the car running, she runs like a top, Seriously! :eek:ccasion14:

Here are some more detailed pictures of the car, I was not able to get it on the lift over the weekend, I did clean the salt dust off the car, disconnected the battery (It's bad), and threw plenty of mothballs around the outside and inside of the car, the mice are bad in that garage. The rear quarter panels are worse than I thought. The dog house and front quarter panels are solid as a rock and the underside of the car ironically is in great shape, not that much rust from what I can see on the underside frame. Interior will need a bit of work, but it is all there. Two trim pieces that are missing on the dash were in the trunk, and the original radio was on the floor in the back seat. The radio will be no problem as antique radio restoration is another hobby of mine.

Brand new Hankook tires are on the car which is very nice. Rear shocks were replaced some time ago, all the glass is in great condition but there is rust around the bottom of the back window, was this common?

Anyhow, tell me what you guys think, this is my first ever MOPAR, I am a Ford man, but my interest have shifted, Mopar made some killer cars in the early 70's even if they were four doors, great styling and powerful motors!

Jon

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

That's a great C-body to start off in. Congrats. There are guys here that know your car intimately and can help you out.

Posted via Topify on Android

Great, I will need much of it. I plan on doing a oil change, and will check the transmission fluid. I figure it would be a good idea to take off the fuel tank and clean it, as well as clean all fuel lines to the carb. I Don't know exactly where to start on this old heap.

Can anybody give me an idea on how to do this, I think it is time for me to buy a shop manual.

Hey Jon, welcome, cool car!

You'll definitely want to buy a factory service manual. Get her running/driving/stopping real good & go from there.

Yeah Nice Score, bud! Love the car, you did real good. Can't go wrong with a fuselage Plymouth. Yes absolutely get a FSM (factory service manual). It is the bible for these cars, and you can refer to it over and over for help keeping the car running properly.

Back