New Crank bearings, crank won't rotate

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bit frustrated, ordered new bearings, .010 underbore to match what came out, new bearings in, greased of course, with the caps torqued, I can't rotate it, pulled the caps, measured the bearings versus each other, anyway, off my micrometer

old 0.0965
new 0.1015

The old ones are most likely the originals as they are stamped 3/73

So I'm frustrated and stumped as to what is going on, I've never had this issue before, every time I'm rebuild one and ordered new bearings the parts fit perfectly.

Step back a little and take a deep breath.

Have you mic'd the crank? What does that measure? Did you measure the bearing ID measured in the block?

What about the thrust bearing? That needs to have side clearance and the top and bottom need to be aligned with each other.

What are you measuring now? The thickness of the bearing?

From there we can start eliminating issues.

Step back a little and take a deep breath.

Have you mic'd the crank? What does that measure? Did you measure the bearing ID measured in the block?

What about the thrust bearing? That needs to have side clearance and the top and bottom need to be aligned with each other.

What are you measuring now? The thickness of the bearing?

From there we can start eliminating issues.
Yes, bearing thickness is what I posted,

The crank came out as 2.746

The caps installed on the block come out as 2.912

Yes, bearing thickness is what I posted,

The crank came out as 2.746

That crank is not .010 under. Standard is 2.750. You are .004"under. There's the problem.

Back when they put these together, they had .001", .002" and .003" undersize bearings that they might install. I've only seen one undersize crank and that was .010" under.

IMHO, that crank is a little too far under for standard bearings, so that's not an option. Since you can't get .003" undersize bearings anymore (unless I'm wrong) I would have that crank turned .010/.010 and use your bearings.

I went off what its stamped. I'm sick of waisting my money, I guess I'll have two 440's forsale.

Just spent $130 for these bearings, which I now can't return.........and now I would have to either spend a few hundred for some machine work, or try the .030 bearings which will be another $200+

Just chill and have the crank cut to match your new bearings when you can.

Just have crank turned .010/.010 then you know your clearances are right. Measure your pistons and cylinders now so you don't have parts problems there.

They dont cost anything on a palette in the garage..frustration is not the time to sell..If your hell bent on selling, Im moving to London in the spring and Im pretty sure we can work something out.

You'll regret not having that 440 in your car!

It'll make a world of difference...

maybe check here for bearings? RockAuto Parts Catalog[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=pb4brb4sdfl0pkgt70vnmpi2a0 they have various sizes
did you mic the rod journals yet? curious about the .010

They dont cost anything on a palette in the garage..frustration is not the time to sell..If your hell bent on selling, Im moving to London in the spring and Im pretty sure we can work something out.
I'm probably going to keep this engine, however the '73 cast crank 440 I have (incidentally which now has new crank bearings) will most likely be forsale in the spring. I don't have the space to store it till I need it (which who knows how long that will be)

Nick

05845.jpg

In the words of Eddie Murphy as Reggie Hammond in Another 48 HRS,
"I HAVE BEEN HAVING A VERY BAD DAY! I just got out of jail this morning! Already I've been shot at, I was on a bus that flipped over seventeen times, ***** tried to stab me in the bathroom, and somebody blew up my Porsche! I am in a BAD goddamn mood!"

Back