New front wheel hub rubbing

gary68plyfury

Reaction score
Installed a new, to me, Wagner D70589 front wheel hub assembly on my 68 Plymouth Fury III but now the brake drum rubs on the brake shoe mounting plate. I can't find the correct name for the mounting plate but it holds the brake shoes and all other braking hardware. I had a D70589 on the car when I bought it 2 months ago but one lug stud hole was broken due to the last owner installed, with a impact wrench probably, the wrong lug stud. I received another D70589 that looked brand new, I installed 2 new bearing kits but now the drum rubs against the mounting plate. I tried shaving some the mounting plate back with a file, which cut down on the rubbing some. I also cut and installed a thin piece of aluminum between the drum and the hub assembly which helped but it is still rubbing especially around right hand turns. I'd really like to be able to remove the aluminum and find the correct way to resolve this issue.

What else can/should I do besides remove the brake shoes, so I don't wreck them, and put a grinder to the mounting plate?
Maybe I should put a little paint on the parts so I can see exactly where else it is rubbing.

Thanks
Gary

Installed a new, to me, Wagner D70589 front wheel hub assembly on my 68 Plymouth Fury III but now the brake drum rubs on the brake shoe mounting plate. I can't find the correct name for the mounting plate but it holds the brake shoes and all other braking hardware. I had a D70589 on the car when I bought it 2 months ago but one lug stud hole was broken due to the last owner installed, with a impact wrench probably, the wrong lug stud. I received another D70589 that looked brand new, I installed 2 new bearing kits but now the drum rubs against the mounting plate. I tried shaving some the mounting plate back with a file, which cut down on the rubbing some. I also cut and installed a thin piece of aluminum between the drum and the hub assembly which helped but it is still rubbing especially around right hand turns. I'd really like to be able to remove the aluminum and find the correct way to resolve this issue.

What else can/should I do besides remove the brake shoes, so I don't wreck them, and put a grinder to the mounting plate?
Maybe I should put a little paint on the parts so I can see exactly where else it is rubbing.

Thanks
Gary

Sounds like you have the wrong brake drum for your car and the previous owner likely did as well. I bet that the brake drum that you have is an 11 x 3” drum and that your car takes an 11 x 2.75 drum and this is why the brake drum is rubbing on the backing plate. Never assume a previous owner installed correct parts. Measure the width of the brake shoes and the brake surfaces area on the brake drum to confirm.

Sounds like you have the wrong brake drum for your car and the previous owner likely did as well. I bet that the brake drum that you have is an 11 x 3” drum and that your car takes an 11 x 2.75 drum and this is why the brake drum is rubbing on the backing plate. Never assume a previous owner installed correct parts. Measure the width of the brake shoes and the brake surfaces area on the brake drum to confirm.
FURYGT,
You've helped me before. Thank you.
You might be correct. I measured a few weeks ago. I believe the shoes are 2.75in wide but the braking surface on the drums are 3.25in? I'll try to measure again tonight and take a pic so someone can tell me if I'm wrong or not. And I'll measure the passenger side also, definitely want both sides to have the same size drums and shoes.

If your drum measures 11x3.25 that is an 11x3 drum. Most Fury’s came with 11x2.75, the exception being HD front brakes. My Fury has 11x3.

If your drum measures 11x3.25 that is an 11x3 drum. Most Fury’s came with 11x2.75, the exception being HD front brakes. My Fury has 11x3.
Is there anything the VIN number or on the build sheet that would help me know which one I should be using? I've found the build sheet in the rear seat. I don't have the fender tag. The last owner said he had it, along with other parts, but he has come back with anything since I bought the car. Lesson learned, push the owner to dig for everything BEFORE you buy.

Is there anything the VIN number or on the build sheet that would help me know which one I should be using? I've found the build sheet in the rear seat. I don't have the fender tag. The last owner said he had it, along with other parts, but he has come back with anything since I bought the car. Lesson learned, push the owner to dig for everything BEFORE you buy.

Post a photo of the build sheet. If it is readable, someone can decode the brake selection.

Post a photo of the build sheet. If it is readable, someone can decode the brake selection.

build-sheet-VIN.jpg

You are going to have to carefully remove the build sheet and take a photo of it as some parts of the build sheet are not readable, even with a magnifing glass. Too bad that you don't have the fender tag.
I guess I can try to remove the build sheet...but it's a dry dry piece of paper. I'm afraid I'll ruin it. The old owner is not helping with getting the old parts... Maybe his x wife is still pissed. I'm hoping she didn't "clean out" the basement.

You are going to have to carefully remove the build sheet and take a photo of it as some parts of the build sheet are not readable, even with a magnifing glass. Too bad that you don't have the fender tag.
Looks like this site downgraded the pic quality. I pic I posted is harder to read.

On the build sheet, the Front Brake says either B1 or 31... Anyone have a link to a site where I can decode the build sheet?

Does your Fury have a big block or small block? A/C or not? Trailer hitch? Most 11x 3 brakes IIRC were on big block equipped models and a hitch would indicate towing something that HD brakes would be beneficial. Back then though one could check off any option on the order sheet to get what they wanted, so anything is possible.

Does your Fury have a big block or small block? A/C or not? Trailer hitch? Most 11x 3 brakes IIRC were on big block equipped models and a hitch would indicate towing something that HD brakes would be beneficial. Back then though one could check off any option on the order sheet to get what they wanted, so anything is possible.
383 BC. It did have A/C but last owner removed compressor, I had to get new brackets and pulley to go to non-AC car. No trailer hitch but I'll crawl under it to see what marks on the rear frame.

Last edited:
I don't think that either of those is correct.

@69CoronetRT
31 is a valid front brake assembly code for a 68 C body. This just tells you the assembly number, it doesn't give you a break down of what the assembly contained. For that, you need other sources.

CL43_Build_Codes_800.jpg

383 BC. It did have A/C but last owner removed compressor, I had to get new brackets and pulley to go to non-AC car. No trailer hitch but I'll crawl under it to see what marks on the rear frame.

I would suggest mesuring the width or your brake shoes.

I went through same problem on 70 fury with 3 inch front brakes rubbing on plate. Turned out it was drum. The one that rubbed was 4 inch deep inside and one that didnt was 3 13/16. (Pics)One was from a 70 one from 71 plymouth. Not sure about 68 but might be worth a look.

4AF8E70E-9918-4107-8194-DF2FA1DBA53C.jpeg

E34C646A-8C42-4320-924C-37B5CDC01333.jpeg

I would suggest mesuring the width or your brake shoes.
I just measured the shoes and drums. The brake shoes are 2.75in and the drums are 3.25in.
I noticed if I pull the drum out, away from the shoes/dust cover, I need about 1/16th for the drum to clear(not rub) on the dust cover.
Is the plate that holds the shoes and hardware even called a dust cover?

I just measured the shoes and drums. The brake shoes are 2.75in and the drums are 3.25in.
I noticed if I pull the drum out, away from the shoes/dust cover, I need about 1/16th for the drum to clear(not rub) on the dust cover.
Is the plate that holds the shoes and hardware even called a dust cover?

You have an 11 x 3" brake drum and you need an 11 x 2.75" brake drum. My recall is that this is for the left front. I would also check the other side. The plate is called a backing plate. I have 11 x 2.75 front drums with hubs, both new and used. If you are not in a hurry, I can bring them to the Carlisle show.

You have an 11 x 3" brake drum and you need an 11 x 2.75" brake drum. My recall is that this is for the left front. I would also check the other side. The plate is called a backing plate. I have 11 x 2.75 front drums with hubs, both new and used. If you are not in a hurry, I can bring them to the Carlisle show.
Sounds like I had originally a wheel hub assembly for 3in shoes, but then got a hub for 2.75 shoes. I had to replace the original hub since it had a good size crack in it. The crazy part is that both hubs had D70589 part number. Wish I kept the original one. I know it was not original from 1968 and it's a Wagner D70589. I bought the car with it.

Back