New guy 68 monaco

Derik

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to this forum and have a simple question. How do I correctly take the whole dash apart? The decorative pieces were easy. Now I'm trying to remove the gauge cluster an broke part of the bezel that surrounds it. The intention of removing the dash is to find out what's almost catching fire back there. I bought the car from a guy who found it in a barn soooo I'm assuming a mouse ate some wiring an now it's burning enough to smoke an I can't drive it more than two blocks. Thank you ahead of time.

I don't have the link bookmarked, but probably by tomorrow one of the other guys will post up a link to where you can get the FSM, Factory Service Manual, it will show you how to take everything apart.

If by bezel you're talking about the clear plastic piece that covers the speedo, stop. Disconnect the speedo cable from beneath and behind then remove the whole thing. This will open things up for you to see lots of stuff. Amp gauges are a known problem issue and there are numerous threads for how to bypass them.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Welcome by the way.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Don't drive it again till you get it figured out for sure.

Welcome to the forum!

Strange that you mention a 68 Monaco dash catching fire issue.
I just met another Monaco owner with the same issue...
He lives near Orangeville Ontario

Last edited:
Ditto with mine. Had to replace the dash with one from Just Dashes. There are screws up behind the instrument cluster and bezel. FSM will help you.

Battery got disconnected once I parked it. Gauge cluster just needs the red an black wire unbolted an the cluster will be out. From there I'm not sure on were to go with it. I'm going to do a visual inspection. I'm not sure if this matters but I did the chrysler electronic conversion to it. When I first did the switch I used a msd blaster 2 coil after calling jegs to confirm that said coil wouldn't be to much to handle. It ended up frying the ecu an distributer. After replacing said components I used the original coil an all is good now. Could the msd blaster 2 coil caused a issue under the dash.

Check the bulkhead connector. Pins J & P especially. These 2 wires carry the full amperage used by the car. They are way undersized. The connection corrodes and the resistance goes up. The wires become heating elements. They melt the harness and start fires.

Ok it wasn't the bulkhead. Someone in the past rigged up a electric fan on the radiator that had a manual switch in the cab an it was that melting. Now about the bulkhead conector. It wasn't pretty but its ok atm. Does anyone know of anywhere that may have them for a reasonable price. Online is showing me no less that a 2 hundred. Are they really worth that much?

Hello from Minnesota. I have the blaster coil and no issues, but I also use the MSD box.

Ok it wasn't the bulkhead. Someone in the past rigged up a electric fan on the radiator that had a manual switch in the cab an it was that melting. Now about the bulkhead connector. It wasn't pretty but its ok atm. Does anyone know of anywhere that may have them for a reasonable price. Online is showing me no less that a 2 hundred. Are they really worth that much?

Mine was in bad condition especially for the amp red and black feeds.
I had a hard time justifying the cost as well since I don't have a show car.
I have by passed my amp gauge and move the hot to another location on the block
I filled in the melted slots so I wouldn't try to use those slots again.

Back