New guy, first classic mopar. 1965 Fury III

CustomDave

Reaction score
Hello, glad to find a forum for the C bodies. I have been looking for an old mopar for some time now. This morning I found one! Originally I started looking for an old Challenger or Cuda, but quickly found out that those are out of my range for one with my limited abilities. So I kinda shuffled my feet a bit and looked at some other makes and models of classics. But nothing I found really struck me. Kept finding the same old Chevelles, camaros, and Mustangs at the car shows and cruise nights. There are only so many of them I can look at before they just get.. well.. boring I guess. So I knew I had to get something not seen as much so I started looking at Mopars that were a bit more in my range. After looking at a lot of cars that were really rusty beyond what I could fix I finally found this old Fury on CL. When I first pulled up I thought immediately it was overpriced. It had its share of small dings and dents but the only real rust was in the bottom quarters and trunk. There is a bit around the back window too, but not terrible. The guy had some issues getting her to start but she did and with no smoke. The carb was leaking gas like crazy out of the diaphragm (I think). It's an aftermarket holley 2 bbl 500 cfm. So I pointed that out and the hard start and the haggling began. I ended up getting it for about 20% less than his asking price, so I felt like I got a deal. He had owned it for over 25 years and he and his wife seemed really sad to see it go. I promised him I would take good care of her and treat her well. They took a few last pics of her and shared a few memories with me about the car as it was loaded on the flatbed tow truck.

One quick question. Is there a parts company that sells restoration parts for these? Trim pieces, bumpers, lower quarters etc? I see several for A, B and E bodies but none for C bodies.

Well, I can be a bit long winded, sorry about that. Here are some pics!

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yODc.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yODg.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yODk.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yOTA.jpg

Oh and I forgot details about the car. It is a 318 with a 2bbl. The car is all original and has never been restored, except for the seats which were recovered in what I am told is the OEM materials and color. (Brown/tan)

You found out quickly that C's do not have the aftermarket support like the A/B/E cars.
The quarters selling on E bay are a very poor fit,wrong guage metal,and overall crap.
Either find good rust free sheetmtal,or fabricate your own.
The rear bumper and most of the trim is 65 only and you will have to hunt down NOS or good used parts.

Well, I guess the hunt for parts will be part of the fun. Id the front bumper 65 only too? The rear isn't quite as bad but the front looks lousy.

Hello, glad to find a forum for the C bodies. I have been looking for an old mopar for some time now. This morning I found one! Originally I started looking for an old Challenger or Cuda, but quickly found out that those are out of my range for one with my limited abilities. So I kinda shuffled my feet a bit and looked at some other makes and models of classics. But nothing I found really struck me. Kept finding the same old Chevelles, camaros, and Mustangs at the car shows and cruise nights. There are only so many of them I can look at before they just get.. well.. boring I guess. So I knew I had to get something not seen as much so I started looking at Mopars that were a bit more in my range. After looking at a lot of cars that were really rusty beyond what I could fix I finally found this old Fury on CL. When I first pulled up I thought immediately it was overpriced. It had its share of small dings and dents but the only real rust was in the bottom quarters and trunk. There is a bit around the back window too, but not terrible. The guy had some issues getting her to start but she did and with no smoke. The carb was leaking gas like crazy out of the diaphragm (I think). It's an aftermarket holley 2 bbl 500 cfm. So I pointed that out and the hard start and the haggling began. I ended up getting it for about 20% less than his asking price, so I felt like I got a deal. He had owned it for over 25 years and he and his wife seemed really sad to see it go. I promised him I would take good care of her and treat her well. They took a few last pics of her and shared a few memories with me about the car as it was loaded on the flatbed tow truck.

One quick question. Is there a parts company that sells restoration parts for these? Trim pieces, bumpers, lower quarters etc? I see several for A, B and E bodies but none for C bodies.

Well, I can be a bit long winded, sorry about that. Here are some pics!

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yODc.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yODg.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yODk.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yOTA.jpg
Love your '65! My dad had one new and I got to drive it till I ran into a truck and put a hole in the grille while checking out some girls! He bought me my own car after that!! Good luck with your Fury. Barry

Thanks for the kind responses!

Here are a few pics of the interior. I forgot to get one of the dash, but it is in nearly perfect shape too with just a few very small cracks starting to show near the speaker holes. Almost not noticeable. The seats have been redone at some point in what I am told is NOS, or very similar, material. The headliner was done at the same time. The door panels are in good shape but pretty dirty, I think I can get them to clean up with a good scrubbing down. The drivers armrest is the main flaw other than a few missing knobs and an aftermarket stereo. Although the original stereo is in the trunk.

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yOTE.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yOTI.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8yOTM.jpg

Back