New Hemi aluminum blocks

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Veteran drag racer Alan Johnson (Top Fuel) manufactures his own Hemi race blocks. He uses them in Top Fuel (nitro) & Pro Funny car. As well as sells them to other teams & to Top Alcohol cars. He starts off with a chunk of aluminum & machines it down to a 426 Hemi style block.

He posted this on Facebook & made a joke about how to turn 720 pounds of aluminum into 500 pounds of aluminum shavings

Pass... with a full tank of gas, my Formal would be *** heavy and think she was a 911...

A bare 440 block weighs about 240 lbs so you are saving about 60lbs, that you can save in easier ways, inlet manifold, headers, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump and housing. That will save more than 60lbs for a fraction of the cost. Its nice to dream, but the practicality isnt there.

A bare 440 block weighs about 240 lbs so you are saving about 60lbs, that you can save in easier ways, inlet manifold, headers, aluminum heads, aluminum water pump and housing. That will save more than 60lbs for a fraction of the cost. Its nice to dream, but the practicality isnt there.

Thats where my brain was going as I was reading......:thankyou:

We can thank the cold war for driving much of the CNC technology that we have today. After we bankrupted the Soviet Union, the United States was left with a great deal of CNC machining capacity, that had formerly been used for the manufature of military equipment. Looking to fill this capacity, many CNC centers' capacity was filled by turning to aftermarket hot rod parts manufacturing.

These block are WAY WAY WAY stronger than any iron block. Raised cam. Bigger cam journals with rollerized oiling provisions. Wider crank saddles for stroke & oiling considerations. Iron cracks under stress. Aluminum bends & survives the round. Much easier to repair these blocks when damaged. Many after a few races are sold to sportsman racers even after being windowed.

Stan Garlits used KB's & the JP1's. He even endorsed the JP1. I imagin he used the Donavan at one time too. It was an aluminum 392 with 417 inches

Stan Garlits used KB's & the JP1's. He even endorsed the JP1. I imagin he used the Donavan at one time too. It was an aluminum 392 with 417 inches
Thanks. Shows you how far back in history I'm stuck in. lmao

"Al-you-minny-yum? ? ? Are you crazy.?"

image.jpeg
I believe this is the Ford 426/500 inch Gen II Hemi block. Yes Ford. Back when they where sponsoring John Focre they had their own blocks cast & made some minor changes to them. Basically so they could now say it was a Ford design. They called it the BOSS 500 engine. They basically copied the KB block

image.jpeg
This is a stock factory style RB main cap & a KB alumninun cap. The KB cap is stronger, wider, taller & thicker. All of this has its reason. And it's cross bolted too

Last edited:
Back