New House

Variance was my first thought too. I bet your neighbors wouldn't have an issue with it.
The house does look great, I'm excited for you.:thumbsup:

Key word is "secondary". That probably means free standing.
I'd build an attached second garage turned 90 deg. From the existing garage.

It's a double edged sword.
Once you "attach" a detached structure, it becomes part of the main house and the property tax goes up disproportionately.

As Jeff said I would recommend that you politely and quietly ask for a variance. Maybe six months before you're going to ask start going to township/council meetings and show them that you're a friendly face. maybe even agree with them from time to time.

As Jeff said I would recommend that you politely and quietly ask for a variance. Maybe six months before you're going to ask start going to township/council meetings and show them that you're a friendly face. maybe even agree with them from time to time.

Local government, (as most know), works with a little grease across a well placed palm.

This sounds like a reasonable first step. Call up your local councillor (not sure what they are called in your area) and introduce yourself. Usually after a short chat you will know what you are dealing with.

No greasing required. Completely legal.
PicsArt_09-30-11.23.04.png

I like it except it's not big enough.

it is on top of the well, actually! The septic is in the back of the property. All good ideas and I will have to discuss with the code guy and maybe find out when/how often the zoning hearing board meets. What do you mean by councillor, Stan? Someone from the township, I assume?

This afternoon I was over and measured from the edge of the front of the garage along the driveway to the road....154'. i then measured from the same corner the shortest distance to the road (about a 35-40 deg angle from the driveway) and got 131'. I measured the shortest distance from the road to get to 131' at the place where the front of the garage would be, marked it and continued until I got to the corner of the concrete pad by the man door and it measured 164' so using the shortest distance from the house to the road, that gives me room for a 30' wide garage but opens the possibility of them saying no b/c of not enough distance between the garage and house or saying i cannot use the 131' measurement from the house to the road.

A variance is a possibility but a long shot, they have all kinds of reasons they want - ie, it is causing a hardship, etc. i will apply for one but not expecting much. My main reason is that I want to keep as much of the rear of the property as natural as possible so if i have so environmental person on there, well, that might help me. Also, the other places i can put it would create a hardship by having to put in a long drive which would disturb the land even further and i am sure the one neighbor would not like it if I put a garage in the front part of the yard.

An attached garage isn't really an option either as I plan to make it a pole building. Stick built is abt 45K which is not a possibility for me, at least not anytime soon. Pole building is less than half that.

it is on top of the well, actually! The septic is in the back of the property. All good ideas and I will have to discuss with the code guy and maybe find out when/how often the zoning hearing board meets. What do you mean by councillor, Stan? Someone from the township, I assume?

This afternoon I was over and measured from the edge of the front of the garage along the driveway to the road....154'. i then measured from the same corner the shortest distance to the road (about a 35-40 deg angle from the driveway) and got 131'. I measured the shortest distance from the road to get to 131' at the place where the front of the garage would be, marked it and continued until I got to the corner of the concrete pad by the man door and it measured 164' so using the shortest distance from the house to the road, that gives me room for a 30' wide garage but opens the possibility of them saying no b/c of not enough distance between the garage and house or saying i cannot use the 131' measurement from the house to the road.

A variance is a possibility but a long shot, they have all kinds of reasons they want - ie, it is causing a hardship, etc. i will apply for one but not expecting much. My main reason is that I want to keep as much of the rear of the property as natural as possible so if i have so environmental person on there, well, that might help me. Also, the other places i can put it would create a hardship by having to put in a long drive which would disturb the land even further and i am sure the one neighbor would not like it if I put a garage in the front part of the yard.

An attached garage isn't really an option either as I plan to make it a pole building. Stick built is abt 45K which is not a possibility for me, at least not anytime soon. Pole building is less than half that.
Note to self: Always build the garage first.

As I have no experience with this, I thought I would go sit for a meeting or two before I ever submitted my request. If nothing else, I figured it would help me catch on to some of the common pitfalls.

Around here, you will likely get to build anything you want, as long as it isn't automotive related. They famously deny plans that involve a floor thick enough to support a lift, even if they would have approved the building otherwise.

... They famously deny plans that involve a floor thick enough to support a lift, even if they would have approved the building otherwise.

Once it's poured, are they going to sonic test it for thickness? "Gee, I didn't realize the grading was so far off in those areas."

Once it's poured, are they going to sonic test it for thickness? "Gee, I didn't realize the grading was so far off in those areas."
If you included it in the plans, or if the pre-pour inspection lets the inspector catch you... I had to show my inspector that I had made my footing according to the approved plans... he asked if I was building a two story addition. I know there are ways around stuff, I don't have much expertise on the subject.

Back