New Member, 1967 Imperial

Already a quick update....

Since I work with the woman who's uncle is doing the work, there's always some back channel stuff going on. Her husband was down there yesterday, and she had him say, "you better fix that rust right, and not just cover it up!" So I've offered to pay some more money to go at it, and I'm feeling confident it won't just be squandered.

Incidentally, when the estimate came in at 3 weeks, I laughed. I bet someone that it wouldn't be a day under 3 months. That is October 21. We'll see. I might win that dollar after all!

Thanks for the updates. But isn't that the way it usually goes. What's that saying about the best laid plans...?

Yep! I'm good with it. This is my daily driver, but I work from home, and live in a walkable neighborhood. So "daily driver" really means I drive once a week, and only really need a car occasionally. Time I got!

And front seat recovered!

IMG_5166.JPG

As I think I have mentioned, the car still has a very nice original interior with only some fading, a worn front seat, and a split rear seat back. So I'm having the seats repaired but keeping everything else original. It needed paint, but I'm trying to keep everything else as original as possible.

Last edited:
Looking at these pics on my computer for the first time (they get sent to me via What'sApp text message), I think that the quality is about where I expected. Especially looking at that picture of the rear quarter where the bumperette attaches, it looks a bit wavy and filler-heavy. But I'm not paying for someone to tear this back to the shell, bead blast it and fix it to the level that I could clear-coat the metalwork.

My goal was to get at the rust, stop it, and seal up the paint to keep it from rusting more in my salt air. It's easy to get wound up about doing more, but there just wasn't the budget for it.

So.... being defensive against some future imaginary restorer.... If this gets restored fully in the future, I can imagine that person getting into this and saying "geez, they didn't do this or that...." My response would be, "if I didn't do the best I could, there wouldn't be a car there to restore!"

Is this the restoration version of coming to terms with your mortality?

When Matt redid his hubcaps, I commented something like "I bet they don't make noise any more!" He responded that his didn't make noise before!

Well, I found my noisemaker. Not sure what happened. Maybe sat in mud at some point? Anyway, I'll be digging it out and cleaning them up so I don't have new paint and dingey hubcaps!

image.jpg

IMG_5192.JPG

Don't worry about what anyone else might think. Your car, your criteria to meet your needs. Period. BTW if you need validation I'd do the same thing in your shoes... ;)

Actually I've begun to notice mine are making some noise this year.

Looking at these pics on my computer for the first time (they get sent to me via What'sApp text message), I think that the quality is about where I expected. Especially looking at that picture of the rear quarter where the bumperette attaches, it looks a bit wavy and filler-heavy. But I'm not paying for someone to tear this back to the shell, bead blast it and fix it to the level that I could clear-coat the metalwork.

My goal was to get at the rust, stop it, and seal up the paint to keep it from rusting more in my salt air. It's easy to get wound up about doing more, but there just wasn't the budget for it.

I don't think it looks all that bad. It does look like they need to knock it down with finer sandpaper, however. Those scratches are a mile deep. And don't let them kid you, while not looking for perfection, it isn't that hard to knock that stuff down more. Hopefully they will. But as you say, at least the rust is gone.

More! I might get to drive it before I go to India!

Of course, I'm excited to go to India because I bought a license-built Vespa PX 150 for the princely sum of $135. It's over 25 years old so legal to bring home. If I can find a cheap shipper.....

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5247.JPG

That was not the noisy hubcap. There was another one. The center crest is loose on one. Curiously, it's also the only hubcap with a silver eagle rather than a goldish-orange one. Anyone know years of eagle badges on Imperials? The Imperial Club site ((Chrysler) Imperial Wheels, Hubcaps, and Wheel Covers) isn't 100% clear, but maybe 1967 is goldish and 66 is silver? The rest of the wheel cover is the same as the others, same paint pattern. Maybe this one got lost at some point and replaced with "good enough?"

Also, any recommendations for paint? I'd like to get these done before the car comes back.

IMG_5248.JPG

I spent 2 or 3 days sprucing mine up several years ago so I don't remember exactly what I used.

Man.... wish I'd had some new 6x9 speakers to give them to install, as long as all that stuff was out!

Also, looking at that last picture, it appears they've cut off the trailer hitch. I agonized over that all the time. But I decided just to cut it off, and I can haul dirt bikes with my truck.

Man.... wish I'd had some new 6x9 speakers to give them to install, as long as all that stuff was out!

Also, looking at that last picture, it appears they've cut off the trailer hitch. I agonized over that all the time. But I decided just to cut it off, and I can haul dirt bikes with my truck.
Good move !

Back