New Member, 1967 Imperial

More!

The glass is back in, and the bumpers are back from the chrome shop. There are more parts masked (as opposed to removed) than I would have liked, but I remind myself I took the inexpensive option and the goal was to get rid of the rot and keep it from deteriorating until I have the space, time, and funds to go at it again in a few years.

That goal is being met.

Also, I get these pics on my phone, and part of posting them here is to get them on my computer so I can see them full size. So sometimes I don't see a lot of detail until they get up here!

Imperial Paint 34.JPG

Imperial Paint 35.JPG

How much did the bumper cost to rechrome?

$600 for front and rear. Are you mailing me your bumpers this winter? :)

Don't know if I've mentioned before, but my front passenger seat didn't move under power but the motors worked. That side's rear window always popped out of its channel, too. Both of those things are supposedly fixed.

I had figured the pinstripes would be done later but he says he'll re-do them. We'll see. I'm still prepared to do it again if needed.

I like having a hitch on mine as it makes such a nice place to lift the car with a floor jack.

$600 for front and rear. Are you mailing me your bumpers this winter? :)

Don't know if I've mentioned before, but my front passenger seat didn't move under power but the motors worked. That side's rear window always popped out of its channel, too. Both of those things are supposedly fixed.

I had figured the pinstripes would be done later but he says he'll re-do them. We'll see. I'm still prepared to do it again if needed.
I just might!:rofl:

Well, we had our first translation error....

I wanted to pay the balance when I picked up the car (he was asking for more dough) and he thought I meant I needed to inspect the car before he did any more work. I guess that's what happens when you manage the process with text message and google translate!

As a result, it didn't get done last weekend. But more being done now. (There is still a message that stubbornly refuses coherent translation by google, though.)

IMG_5335.JPG

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

As I mentioned before, I get these on my phone, and part of the reason I post everything is so I can transfer to my computer! That means I don't really get a good look at them until I post them here, warts and all.

Not sure I'm entirely happy with the overspray on the door jambs and engine compartment. However, I remind myself that there's nothing irreversible here, and if this car ever gets disassembled down to a bare shell, there's nothing here that will add substantially to the effort.

Repeat to myself: goal was to repaint and preserve, not a show-quality restoration!

I can't wait to see it done!

I can't wait to see it done!
Me, neither!

The two weeks while I was in India, nothing got done on the car, but that’s not really surprising. It should get back on track soon though.

Not much imperial content, but I did buy a scooter in Bangalore for $130. That didn’t suck.

C367F34B-764B-4E97-8FDC-5E0CF64EAF22.jpeg

D1746060-6599-4B96-8502-088358255DF3.jpeg

Does that include shipping?

No, working on shipping. If I can get it shipped back for less than $400 all in, I’ll do it. I bought one over 25 years old for that reason. Otherwise I’ll jist leave it there. I’ve probably got two trips of four weeks total there this coming year so it will get used.

I think you could multiply the Price for that scooter by 10 at least if it's a vintage Vespa to sell in Europe.

Nah. Not that one. It’s a LML vespa px150. Nothing special and it’s had at least 36k hard km on bad Indian roads. Hard to say exactly as the speedometer/odometer don’t work. The headlight is also “switched” by twisting some wires together, it rattles, the clutch is worn, and the front brake is just a suggestion.

In other words, it was pretty much exactly as expected for $130 :)

The early Bajaj Chetaks were license-built Sprints, but finding them in reasonable condition is tough. There might be some value there.

Well, it's time to give up on the idea that I'll get my Imperial back in 2017. The guy's wrist is still in a cast. My colleague went down last week and saw the car, so it's still there, but it's not getting worked on. I have to go to Tijuana for business next week, so I'll probably pop in on it then.

I'm still getting a good deal on it, and the guy probably had more rust repair than he bargained for, so I'm cool with it. He's also doing some extra stuff that I was going to pay for for free (fixing my passenger rear window which pops out of the track, the passenger front seat motor ran, but seat didn't move, and replicating the pinstriping).

In other words, I'm trading time for money. I'm okay with that.

Still, a little down that I won't have it to ring in the new year.

On another upside, I finally got off my butt and put some stuff on Craig's List which I've been meaning to do for a while. Once it sells, I'll be ordering fuel injection. If I can get some motorcycles sold, I'll order the new heads. From there, we'll see how the budget holds out to see what the engine internals look like!

Well, it's time to give up on the idea that I'll get my Imperial back in 2017. The guy's wrist is still in a cast. My colleague went down last week and saw the car, so it's still there, but it's not getting worked on. I have to go to Tijuana for business next week, so I'll probably pop in on it then.

I'm still getting a good deal on it, and the guy probably had more rust repair than he bargained for, so I'm cool with it. He's also doing some extra stuff that I was going to pay for for free (fixing my passenger rear window which pops out of the track, the passenger front seat motor ran, but seat didn't move, and replicating the pinstriping).

In other words, I'm trading time for money. I'm okay with that.

Still, a little down that I won't have it to ring in the new year.

On another upside, I finally got off my butt and put some stuff on Craig's List which I've been meaning to do for a while. Once it sells, I'll be ordering fuel injection. If I can get some motorcycles sold, I'll order the new heads. From there, we'll see how the budget holds out to see what the engine internals look like!
What’s wrong with the heads that are on it?

Im going to buy 440-source heads rather than rebuild the stock ones. I’ll be putting in hardened seats etc., so three marginal cost of those isn’t that great over the rebuild cost.

Regarding EFI, what bad reports are out there? My reason for having EFI is for drivability and reduced engine wear. There’s an annoying flat spot off idle that nobody has been able to tune out. I want it to just drive smoothly without hiccups. Also, one of the reasons modern cars last so long is EFI. There’s no gas washing down the sides of the cylinder walls cleaning away the oil. By running EFI, I’m hoping to get a bit more time out of my current engine and have the next one last a while. Increasing MPG is just a secondary consideration.

Back