New Member - 1968 Plymouth Fury lll Convertible (Survivor Car)

jdeawright

Reaction score
Glad to join the site!

Just bought this car and plan to leave it as-is except for a new top with glass, and probably a paint job (same color). The car has no rust so I'm good as far addressing aesthetics.

The only thing that's bugging me is the side trim. It is different than most other 68' Fury lll convertibles I have seen. I would like to be able to find and buy the appropriate and complete set of side trim/molding for the car. Any help in locating the side trim (new or used) would be appreciated.

6202365205310203.jpg

3202365205310188.jpg

4202365205310188.jpg

8202365205310219.jpg

Resized_20230605_123145.JPG

Resized_20230605_123040.JPG

Resized_20230607_154331.JPG

7202365205310219.jpg

Yes (metal channel with vinyl insert). The original, from what I can tell, had the split profile on the rear quarter panels.

The type you have was a fairly common aftermarket add on.
I just don't like how the ends were screwed in place.
Original would be better, of course, but at least what you have is not horrible, and is in the right location.

Welcome to the board from the mostly always frozen Canadian north!

Nice car you have there! Only thing I'm not a fan of is the orange heater hoses in the engine compartment. ;)

Heater hose question has always been sitting in the back of my mind. It seems I have seen “original” cars with the red as well as the black. Ever since I can remember my ‘68 Polara had the red. (At least from the early 70’s, however it also had a tank heater installed for the cold Montana winters. So maybe the red was the bulk hose that the dealers and parts houses carried? When I restored I went with black, but I always remember red.

You want to paint that? It looks great to me, and if that's original that's even more reason to leave well enough alone.

I'm not a huge fan of the red hoses either. I believe they are older "colour coded" heater hoses. Red means hot! That's just a theory though. Black ones look best in my opinion.

Got it. The car has had one repaint of the exact color. Also it has a couple of deep scratches/chips on the front right corner. Luckily no dents. Just scratched from sitting in a garage. I wanted those scratches painted so might require a full paint job. I am a fan of the current color scheme and will not change that.

00s0s_bLxa8P8wrWK_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Seems I remember many years ago dad replaced the heater hoses on one of his cars, and the replacements were the red/orange rubber. This was probably in the '60's.
It must have been a tough rubber, because we had a garden hose that color that was real rubber, and it lasted many, many years.

What brand and color would you suggest?

Heater hose question has always been sitting in the back of my mind. It seems I have seen “original” cars with the red as well as the black. Ever since I can remember my ‘68 Polara had the red. (At least from the early 70’s, however it also had a tank heater installed for the cold Montana winters. So maybe the red was the bulk hose that the dealers and parts houses carried? When I restored I went with black, but I always remember red.

The cars always came from the factory with black heater hoses, the red/orange were after market generic hoses and were generally a bit cheaper than the same hose in black. Not sure why the parts suppliers made the red/orange hoses but they did and many have survived the decades.

I will only run black hoses on my cars...don't care what brand as long as they are not red/orange/green/blue etc.

Back