New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

I seen that car at Carlisle too. He was asking $27,500?

Yeah ....... That was the carlisle dream price. I spoke with the owner for some time and the price was VERY negotiable

It was a pretty amazing car, mostly solid and complete, original. It would be a high dollar restro but being what it is would be a pretty safe investment.

[h=3]1957 DODGE CORONET 325-245hp (8cyl-2V) AT[/h] #5 #4 #3 #2 #1
2dr Convertible 6775 17900 33500 51700 70000

Spent yesterday and today putting the engine bay back together. Still more to do before start-up, but making some progress. I added an idler pulley for the belt that drives the water pump, A/C compressor and generator. The original system did not seem to provide enough belt contact with the water pump and compressor. My new steel brake lines are due in tomorrow, so I'll either do brake completion or engine bay completion.

57 desoto work 001.jpg57 desoto work 002.jpg57 desoto work 003.jpg57 desoto work 004.jpg57 desoto work 005.jpg57 desoto work 006.jpg57 desoto work 007.jpg57 desoto work 008.jpg

57 desoto work 001.jpg

57 desoto work 002.jpg

57 desoto work 003.jpg

57 desoto work 004.jpg

57 desoto work 005.jpg

57 desoto work 006.jpg

57 desoto work 007.jpg

57 desoto work 008.jpg

Very nice '57s here. I don't know what it is, but I have always liked the finned Mopars.

Here are my 2 projects... a '57 Fireflite and a '61 New Yorker.

Copy of 57 Desoto (22).jpgIMG_0772.JPG

Copy of 57 Desoto (22).jpg

IMG_0772.JPG

Good projects you have there. I hope you are enjoying them as much as I am having a '57 again after 50 years.

Thanks for the comment polara71. It will take me a while to get it all done, but I am slugging away at it.

Red letter day for me. Finished assembly of the engine bay and started up the '57 Desoto Firesweep. Engine sounds great, no tappet noise or other bumps in the night plus oil pressure is excellent. Temperature gauge works as well as the ammeter. The fuel gauge is not working, so I'll have to investigate that issue. BTW, I am really impressed how quickly the engine started. I spun the engine for about 5 seconds to fill up the float bowl in the carb and it started right up. I pressure tested the cooling system with my tester and no leak down, so it looks like all is well so-far. The new steel brake lines should arrive today so forming and installing them will be tomorrows project.

Red letter day for me. Finished assembly of the engine bay and started up the '57 Desoto Firesweep. Engine sounds great, no tappet noise or other bumps in the night plus oil pressure is excellent. Temperature gauge works as well as the ammeter. The fuel gauge is not working, so I'll have to investigate that issue. BTW, I am really impressed how quickly the engine started. I spun the engine for about 5 seconds to fill up the float bowl in the carb and it started right up. I pressure tested the cooling system with my tester and no leak down, so it looks like all is well so-far. The new steel brake lines should arrive today so forming and installing them will be tomorrows project.

EXCELLENT!!!! I wish you were closer, I'll never get to see this car in person....oh and by the way

You sir are working your way onto the "you suck" list

I cannot believe how much talent and incredible cars are coming together here at FCBO.
There are people, cars, and collections that I never knew existed.

Posted via Topify on Android

What Stan said. I am really glad to see all the FL cars on here and the people that have come along with them! I am learning a lot about the dedication it takes to restore cars "the right way". All of this knowledge is truly a blessing. Beautiful car Baker! And welcome to the forum!

Bill, Daves "you suck list" is an earned position and you should concider it an honor to be nominated.
Keep up the good work and you'll get there.

Everyone on the you suck list has an amazing car.... made enormous strides in progress OR both...
I think Will was the first one on it

When I saw that post, I was not sure if I stepped on some toes or what. Thanks for the clarification... Something to strive for....

Back