New member with 66 Crown Conv

66CrownVert

Reaction score
New to this site today. I have a 66 Imperial Crown Convertible that has been quite a learning experience. I have had my mechanic make many improvements in running and reliability over the past year. Unfortunately it seems once one thing fixed and two problems pop up.

Lately I have a problem with stalling after she is up to temp and 15-30 minutes at highway speed. When I start her up in the morning cold its not much of a problem. I will come onto side roads and while at a light I will have to put it in N to keep it from stalling. The weirdest thing is when I get home and put it into R to line it up to the garage it chugs, boost drops off and brakes don't work. I can throw it into N and goose it to keep it going but the same now happens in D which is quite the experience trying to goose the gas to keep it from dying while at the same time throwing it into N to get the rpms up for power brakes AND trying to keep from going through the back of the garage.

Vacuum lines have been checked but I am thinking it must have something to do with the trans because while prolonged idles makes it run rough, reverse or drive makes it act like a sick diesel.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mr. Badwrench :BangHead:

Tom

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Have you been using additives in your fuel to combat the harm today's so called fuel does to our fuel systems? If not this could be a part of your problem. It's not your trans itself that's making it run rough but the load that is being put on the engine when in gear. I think your having fuel delivery issues. More info, what has been done to your fuel system from front to back? Also a thorough check for vacuum leaks is an order.

Funny you should mention the BOOZE GAS. I have had the car a little over a year and have been running pure gas 91 from one station in town that carries it. They had to redo the station so I had to switch over to booze gas and add the Stabil marine I run in my 62 Sport Roadster, 65 Marlin, & 2 corvairs when I am too far from this station. Holy cow it churned up so much crud if plugged my fuel filter. We changed the pump and the tank. There should be no residue left but even I can change the fuel filter. I still have it but can't find a picture of it. Once I do I will post it to start a thread. Even if there is a restriction why would it act up when I put it into R then D after a long drive?
Thanks,
MBW

Post Booze Gas in my 66 Imp

Post BoozeGas Filter.jpg :BangHead:

This was after one tank of the Ethanol gas in my 66 Crown Vert. Ran pure gas for 13 months. This rust chewed up a fuel pump. That's all rust in the pleats and granulated tank settled on the left.

Post BoozeGas Filter.jpg

I'm fighting some similar symptoms in my Imperial right now and I wish I had some answers. I think I'm getting close and I'll make sure I publish any breakthroughs here.

My mechanic buddy who did lots of work on my car when he was between job called this afternoon. He spoke to a guy at a dealership he worked at years ago and suggested I take it to somebody who knows the 727 tranny. He said it sounds like a problem of the adjustments being between D&R confusing the transmission. He suggested I follow the FSM to reset the correct linkages but Mr. Badwrench knows it cost more to have mechanics fix his work vs taking it to them straight away.
I will run this one down and report what I find. Did you like that fuel filter?
Alcohol belongs in my Martini glass not my gas tank.
MBW

my neighbor has a 4 door hardtop, same color. nice car.

Back