New Muffler Sound Laws and Enforcement

I LOVE the sound of TRAINS, always have, and will to my last breath, but then again, Irish railroad men sired my dad's mom. Damn Marriot, and swing the wrecking ball at their new hotel if they build close enough to tracks to disturb the smooth operation of trains!

I don't mind the noise that much, except for the asshats that only know how to accelerate at full throttle.

I enjoy the sound of the arselochers running WOT followed by the sound of glass breaking, metal thumping and crunching all at once, then ambulance sirens. I LOVE the Sound of the City in the evening! Sounds like...Civilization!

I live about 750 feet off the main section road, and I still hear every a$$hole that wants to do a full-throttle acceleration test off the four-way stop. Or Jake brake checks coming off the hill. Or worse yet, the jackwagons that insist on doing four or five donuts at 3am. My kingdom for stop sticks!

Last Saturday morning at about 2:30am, someone in a new Mustang decided to do the donut routine at the intersection. In typical Mustang fashion, you heard, WaaaaWaaaaWAAAAAAH"crunch"...silence. He knocked his car sideways into the corner power pole. It was there still at 6am when I had to go do some early morning ****. Laughed my *** off at his misfortune. He didn't care about me or anyone around at 2:30am, so neither did I about him at six!

1670288486526.png

I know ONE Thing for sure: in my barrio, I receive the MOST complements on Gertrude because while reasonably powerful, she runs DEAD QUIET. Most folks appreciate THAT little consideration. The youngsters like the fact that I can keep something as old as their nanas and abuelos running nicely, while the old timers like using me as an example of somebody who likes to keep QUIET! Three'a a HUGE Walker muffler on this single pipe exhaust. I plan to install the dual pipes this Christmas break, weather permitting, just to pick up a few more ponies now that I have a carb that inhales a bit more..... Those will permit a few decibels more than this arrangement, but only a few. Maybe next year, we'll do headers, but I still will optimize what I can for noise suppression, though with headers, one will allow more atmospheric disturbance.

They've gone to hornless crossings in many cities around the Minneapolis/St Paul suburbs. I used to live two blocks away from the tracks, but the noise was blocked by grain elevators. They tore those down, and I could hear the clicking of whatever on the engines as they idled like they were ten feet away. But I love trains, so I didn't mind.
I live east about 2 big blocks from the train line that comes through my city, I don't even really pay attention to or hear the train horns for the grade crossings, and there is one major one just one large block south of me, you get use to it. When I lived further north in the downtown area there were many more grade crossings and I looked up the state law, the law says the horns are to be silent after 11:30pm IIRC. None of the trains abide to the law anymore as we had a rash of grade crossing accidents in the real estate bubble in 2006, even had to have PSA's about it for quite a while. What I notice about is when it all goes silent over by the tracks as that means someone bit the big one on the tracks. When the cars get wreaked things get cleaned up and back moving pretty quick and we may have something on the news about it. When it's silent for most of the night and you hear the train lumbering very slowly (starting up) with judicious horn blowing you know there was a mess to cleanup and document. We never hear about those on the news, we use to hear it on the scanner, now it's all hushed hushed up (Tac channel).

Last one I remember was about last spring, and usually the train operator gets banged up for speeding as for quite a while after... I notice that the trains are running slower (at speed limit).
They roll through here pretty quick. tsk tsk.

Yeah, John the South Park Boys are a favorite meme in the motorcycle forums/groups when we feel like roasting the RUBS. The latest have been the Ape Hanger crowd posting up 'Look at mine' pictures in posts about a classic stock bike, which then morph into full blown pictures of choppers of the past.
I refrain from posting up comments like 'why would you take a well-engineered riding motorcycle and turn it into a rolling abortion?' boggles the mind...

Recently there was one Tube RUB complaining about his arms aching after a long ride and thought he was all hardcore about the ride. I just had to raze him about the Sons of Anarchy wannabee high rise handlebars he had installed by a Cali HD Dealer before the trip as just just mab'be the problem?

What annoys me is when people put the loud mufflers on their 40hp hondas! I live in the city/apartment complex and have been told by some neighbors I should leave my fury running all day hecause it sounds awesome! But everyone complains about the loud bmw and hondas lol

Yesterday there was a 70s camaro rumbling through and I have some neighbors with new chargers and such and I dont mind that rumble at all haha! I always know 100% whos leaving or coming home!?

Last edited:

Myself, I prefer the sound of a 4bbl over loud exhaust, let the world know you can afford to suck down a couple gallons of $3+ gas

Myself, I prefer the sound of a 4bbl over loud exhaust, let the world know you can afford to suck down a couple gallons of $3+ gas
Yowza yowza! I DIG that Highway Sound! My Walker muffler is about a yard long, and like you, I prefer the throaty sound of WOT w all 4 or more barrels.

I agree with Gerald and Imperial Dude. I run a Cherry Bomb turbo muffler on single exhaust. I like the sound. Not loud (IMHO) but "noticable". I live beside a main route with a 50MPH speed zone and (at times) quite heavy traffic. Right here is one of the longest straight sections of the road. Lots of folk take the chance to "wind up", often to double the limit, or more. I have only two concerns about this. My major concern is the possibility of hearing a loud crash. That would bother me. The second is the sirenes, and that only because it tells me that someone is having trouble.
As an aside, I have day dreamed of a synthesizer, connected to a throttle position sensor and a tach feed. It would be programmed to produce the sound of various (selectable) engines, and be connected to a powerful sound system. Imagine driving a rice burner econo box and having it sound like a 426 hemi with a 6 pack and open exhaust or a '28 Model A. I could enjoy that woth my sister's Tesla! Too much time on my hands!! Lindsay

Then these Tube jackasses that make their 6 figure incomes from driving around and revving their straight pipe exotic supercars.

WORLDS FIRST STRAIGHT PIPED C8 Z06 Sounds COMPLETELY INSANE LOUDEST C8 EVER

WORLDS FIRST STRAIGHT PIPED C8 Z06 Sounds COMPLETELY INSANE LOUDEST C8 EVER.1080p.jpg

And of course at any chance of a tunnel or overpass the turds have to rev it. They love sound walls too that the taxpayers have to put up.

WORLDS FIRST STRAIGHT PIPED C8 Z06 Sounds COMPLETELY INSANE LOUDEST C8 EVER.1080p.SOUND.WALL.jpg

There has been some chatter on the 'net as to why YouTube allows these constant law breakers to profit off of their channels as in the Tube terms of service it is against Utube terms to break any laws in content.
Many channels now have the prize giveaways to pitch their 'merch' which to me is just running a raffle or sweepstakes and is regulated by state laws under gambling.
Many think 'It's the Internet' state laws don't apply.

Another high decibel sound maker annoys me is when I was doing high end kitchens and in the spring and summer we could sit outside in the shade to eat lunch a lawn company would pull up near by and run their mowers , hedge trimmers, weed walkers and leaf blowers. To this day I hate them and all of mine are battery power.

Another high decibel sound maker annoys me is when I was doing high end kitchens and in the spring and summer we could sit outside in the shade to eat lunch a lawn company would pull up near by and run their mowers , hedge trimmers, weed walkers and leaf blowers. To this day I hate them and all of mine are battery power.
You are my new best friend!! That is the most annoying thing ever!

If that crew was any good, they would have been gone in six minutes.

Back