new project

anyone help my valve covers are put on with 2 bolts and all the gaskets i see are 6 bolts am i missing something

I am pretty sure that engine is not a 383. If it were a big block, the distributor would be at the front of the motor. Since it is in the rear, the motor is very likely a small block.

If you take a picture of the valve cover from the side of the engine, we will be better able to tell what you have.

If the engine is a Poly 318, it will have valve covers that are scalloped on the bottom edge, like these.

Poly valve covers.jpg

If you do have a poly 318, keep in mind that it is very different from the LA 318. They are both small blocks, but they are totally different engine families.

Bottom end of LA and A are almost same. Like u can stroke 318A to 390 and port heads and it makes almost 500hp. Dont underestimate A serie small blocks.

ok ill take some pics for you guys but by the water outlet it has a series of numbers and it states 383 and some other numbers to ill take pics of that as well the distributer is in the back for sur by the fire wall as far as rebuild i just want it stock thats it I'm a cruiser not a bruiser

ok by the looks of the valves it look like a 318 where exactily is the number the book is vague where it is.the block number i mean.and then the shop manual will it tell you info on the motor the car came with only because i see a 318 L or a 318 la not sure what i have thanks again for the help

I am pretty sure that engine is not a 383. If it were a big block, the distributor would be at the front of the motor. Since it is in the rear, the motor is very likely a small block.

If you take a picture of the valve cover from the side of the engine, we will be better able to tell what you have.

If the engine is a Poly 318, it will have valve covers that are scalloped on the bottom edge, like these.
yes they are look at the pics down below to see valve arrangement as well the big block motor has them all in a row need more info on how to tell engine block number where to find it the manual is vague where it is?also the difference between the L and LA motors I'm not sure what i have

yes it is a 318 and i believe it is an"A" series block as well not 100 percent sure but it is a 318.need some info here she is on all four tires again and the brakes seem good but can't take it for a ride because it seems it is running really rough not back firing but running real rough.is there a resister block or a resister wire in line to the points for voltage drop after it starts up?the points look newer style but seem worn on one side not hitting even.it has 7 mm spark plug wires i thought 8mm wires were better.is there a better set of points to buy and wires for this girl to see if she can run smoother?one nice thing this time was the smoking seemed to stopped out the exhaust pipe my goal is to drive it around for next season then freshen it up next winter>

i have the 65 fury four door and i would like to get the tallest tire i could with no issues at all as far as rubbing it has p205 75 r14 is this the biggest or can i go bigger

Back