new project

t57f100

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a 65 plymouth fury 4 door big motor not sure the size.all floors done seats covered headliner good.real solid.car problem car sat for two years started it up and oil leaking on pass side of motor onto exhaust manifold.at the end of the tail pipe i saw oil followed by smoke the owner said it didn't do this 2 years ago any ideas.also how much its worth.it needs to be completed.

If you can post pics here any and all you have ,,the price and the problems I am very sure you will get great accurate advise on the car if there is enough data.
Welcome to the site.

thanks so much for the welcome and interest in my project i am picking it up on tommorow.ill get more pics then.1965 4 door plymouth fury3.someone has started the project.cool lost interest in it.the floors have been welded in professionally.the head liner is awesome and the seats have been redone the door panals are good they were taken off because someone repainted the carbut there are two big round spot where the paint didn't stick just below the rear window its a ok repaint at best but its presentable for a real old car.the backing on the door panels not all of them are a lot out of shape but the they look good ill put the backing in shape with some fiberglass.they will be good.all electrical works.it needs windlass on the inside to make the interior look great again all is inside is good.trunk solid underneath solid.the problem is the car sat for two years got it started and began to smoke right away let it run for 5 minutes and still smoked also oil is leaking by pass side of exhaust manifold and adding to the smoke.one last thing oil is leaking at end of exhaust looked like about the size of a steering wheel but it was black liquid also saw some under car near the exhaust manifold ran down on oil filter to ground.im not sure where it is coming from.that side of the engine seems to make more rocker arm noise than the other side.the motor actually ran good while all this was going on no shacking or banging of any kind and smooth idle and when revving the engine more smoke came out hard too see if it was blue or white it was at dusk.any ideas where to start from.at last the car sold for 2300.i thought it was a fair price for the work that was done to it.one more thing it has no brakes one lung master cylinders there any conversion to at least power drum brakes? here are some pics my buddy had but you can't tell much of the outside.the car looks great on both sides and was sprayed under the hood as well.once again thanks for the interest in my project and the warm welcome.one more thing if this is a stock motor and numbers matching what size would the 8 cylinder be 383 or 360 not sure.

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

Id start by putting this car on drive on ramps and blocking the rear wheels. Crawl under it and look at everything. Start by checking the gaskets by cleaning off the motor, then starting it up and see where the oil is originating from. On the other hand, id pull all the spark plugs out and do a leak down and compression test to make sure this isnt a oil gallery in the head leaking into a cylinder. The 383s and 440s had distributors at the front. So this looks like a 360, but im not completely sure so check the stamped on number under the thermostat neck. There is also one out of sight on the drivers side of the block near the front or the rear of the motor, but im not too sure someone can answer this better than I can.

Looks like a poly 318, need a better pic of the valve cover to be sure. The 360 is a LA motor and didn't come until later.

thanks will look for the numbers and report back also good idea for the ramps.if it is an oil gallery leaking into the cylinder.what can be done to correct it if that is what it is

Id start by putting this car on drive on ramps and blocking the rear wheels. Crawl under it and look at everything. Start by checking the gaskets by cleaning off the motor, then starting it up and see where the oil is originating from. On the other hand, id pull all the spark plugs out and do a leak down and compression test to make sure this isnt a oil gallery in the head leaking into a cylinder. The 383s and 440s had distributors at the front. So this looks like a 360, but im not completely sure so check the stamped on number under the thermostat neck. There is also one out of sight on the drivers side of the block near the front or the rear of the motor, but im not too sure someone can answer this better than I can.

thanks will look for the numbers and report back also good idea for the ramps.if it is an oil gallery leaking into the cylinder.what can be done to correct it if that is what it is

Well if it is a head, its either a crack or a valve guide bored too far over, with the wrong valve size inserted. If its a block you are screwed. I dont wanna get too far ahead of myself here, since it just may end up being something simple like a valve cover gasket.

I noticed abit of an oil leak and it was a loose valve cover . I guess the most obvious would be the place to start.

May not be to much to worry about. Saw an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" with a 1961 Jaguar Mk 2 which blew blue smoke. Turned out an easy fix, the filter leading to the catch can was clogged so any rubbish returned to the cylinders and out the exhaust, cleaned filter, emptied and cleaned the full catch can, replacing the rubber hose, not much cost at all so don't worry.

There would be disk brake conversions, certainly dual master cylinders for your car. Even though it's been "partially done" I would start again as there are differences in quality.

One person would weld up a patch panel, add a skim of filler and paint, another replace that panel, others fill the damaged areas with filler and chicken wire say - all three may look good but obviously differing quality, in any case the good folks here will be able to advise and support you through to completion.

All the best with your car.

THANKS AGAIN I'm so darn excited and the interest is just blowing my mind thanks.this is how sick i am 1 day before i picked this young lady up i bought a set of oem spinner hub caps off craigslist.LET THE FURY BEGIN awesome sauce.now if i can get by the oil blowing problem i might have a home run.more pics to come thanks again.

Congrats and welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Welcome. At $2300 I think you've got a home run already. Engine problems can always be fixed. Not likely but worse case scenario, even if you have to transplant another 318 poly, they're not wildly expensive. Don't let anyone give you **** about the 318, they were used forever for a reason.

Back