New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Yep. Definitely modified already.
When you say “modified” are you speaking of the rivets?
554CE168-F8ED-448D-B393-88F37F3450F5.jpeg
If so what was modified? I ask only because I have my wiper arms out as well to replace all the Teflon bushings that have dry rotted.. should I look for anything in particular? Thx

I've got one in my tool box... I couldn't see how it could work and wanted to put it up someone's sphincter.:lol:

After seeing this, maybe I'll take another look, thanks Javier:thumbsup:

I was just about to post this, then took another look at the pics...
I think this cars wiper transmission has been modified before. I don't recall the end being riveted on its all one piece see below...
View attachment 173756

Notice the four rivets above the orange thing. One of them is even offset for some reason.

If it was modified its a good thing. Then those parts will always be available.

When the weather gets nicer I'll investigate some more.

Nice observation! I completely missed that.

Judging from the amount of tweaking I had to do with the driver’s side wiper arm, somebody was definitely in their trying to “fix” it before I got there.

Remember that PO was an airplane mechanic and we may have all just stumbled upon someone else’s take in the problem. This may just be a minor legacy of the PO’s love and stewardship of this old girl.

The slight torquing I felt putting in the motor might be explained by the, now obvious, modification to the power arm.

If that is the case, this may actually be another way of solving the the problem outside of what’s been discussed to date. Namely, the modification of the power arm to accept a later R Body transmission/coupling.

And. I just got lucky again.

Javier

Last edited:
Nice observation! I completely missed that.

Judging from the amount of tweaking I had to do with the driver’s side wiper arm, somebody was definitely in their trying to “fix” it before I got there.

The slight torquing I felt putting in the motor might be explained by the, now obvious, modification to the power arm.

If that is the case, this may actually be another way of solving the the problem outside of what’s been discussed to date. Namely, the modification or the power arm to accept a later R Body transmission/coupling.

And. Just got lucky again.

Javier

Sometimes better to be lucky than good. :p

We'll see how long it lasts. No one previously has had sucess with that cam. It doesn't look like the offset is the same as both of my 78's. Maybe it's a piece from an R body.

As far as the transmission bushing. You can still go to Dodge and ask for a bushing for a 1996 or newer Dodge Ram Van. They are still available and are a lot better constructed than the Help variety pack bushings and will last a lot longer.

Agreed.

This seems to me to be a much better designed and executed part than the typical Dorman knockoffs I’ve ever seen.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

I’ll be sure to let you all know if and when it fails.

Javier.

When you say “modified” are you speaking of the rivets? View attachment 173822 If so what was modified? I ask only because I have my wiper arms out as well to replace all the Teflon bushings that have dry rotted.. should I look for anything in particular? Thx

Yes.

Without knowing what you have, it’s hard for any of us to comment.

ATC II update....

A check of my system as part of the light switch replacement, shows that the thermostat and other sensors in series are within spec. Likewise as to power and vacuum.

As I mentioned previously... and based on others comments as well as my own findings, I spoke to Precision in Tenn. and ordered their rebuilt amplifier. Very nice people BTW. No way to check it without the proper equipment.

Hopefully, after we swap it, the “magic” will return to the system.

Finally,

I seem to have lost the Freon in the system so I need to check for leaks on it as well. Glad now that it didn’t take a full charge at least.

Persistence is my middle name....

Last edited:
Well... I’m heading out on a business trip for a few days so progress will be a little slow while I’m out.

Remaining short term task list:

1) Get ATC up and running.
1a) Get tail pipe and over axle pipe replaced. Thin and clampy.
1b) pressure wash underside and engine compartment. Carefully.
1c) Check out Cruise control and repair as required
1d) check aim on headlights and function of all exterior lights. Noticed side marker lights are all out last night.
1e) repair spot/chip on Windsheild
1f) change out foggy delaminating interior rear view mirror
1g)
2) Hand polish out the ghosts of all the rub strips
3) take her to paintless dent guy to remove all the door dings. There are quite a few. Every panel appears to be so blessed.
4) Paint touch up and panel tweaking
5) Clean and polish paint
6) clean and dress vinyl top

Remaining longer term items/projects:

1) Swap out radio with more modern Mopar unit with new speakers (I like what Stan did for his) and set up head unit with aux cable.
2) Have Freddie do some matching tastefull floor mats.
3) install period correct driver/passenger overhead reading lights.
4) recreate cardboard cover over rear latch panel of trunk.... thinking hard board, paint and carpet.
5) install auto leveling rear shock system. I’m planning to use this car for some road trips. Give the wagon a break on the shorter weekend runs to Naples or wife and me only trips.

Writing this now as i grill some steaks for the family and prepare to set up dinner outside.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Swap out radio with more modern Mopar unit with new speakers (I like what Stan did for his) and set up head unit with aux cable.
I highly suggest that you consider the radio that Zach taked about in another thread.
I bought two later-year Mopar digitals and they both crapped the bed.
And I have to admit that a crappy little Chinese thing is all you're going to need if you're big on mp3s.

By the way, I don't see front bumper on your honey-do list. Etch this image burn a spot into your eyeballs.

PicsArt_03-14-07.22.35.jpg

Nothing you can do about it. It would take too long to explain.

I highly suggest that you consider the radio that Zach taked about in another thread.
I bought two later-year Mopar digitals and they both crapped the bed.
And I have to admit that a crappy little Chinese thing is all you're going to need if you're big on mp3s.

Unfortunately you may be very right.

RCA and Motorola both went away from car radios and the USA a long time ago.

Please point me to Zack’s thread. I would like to learn more.

Back