New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Busy busy day and it was daylight savings spring forward Monday which sucks double. Was able to escape to shop for a few minutes to check in on the NYB ( still no name for the old Girl)

Tires all on... baby has new shoes and I think they make the car. She is taller and looks more regal and.... if possible... better proportioned.

Alignment done.. adjusting the toe in and camber back to spec. Just a little off really. Drivers s side front had camber off a bit and it was in need of a little toe in. That I cplains the inner tire wear on the left front. LCA bushing was very good and looks to have been changed recently. Steering wheel is straight on and most of the steering slop is gone. She drifts with the road camber to the right which is just exactly where I like it.

DC38203B-AABF-4ABD-AE7B-62C51DD53B7C.jpeg

140C4B0E-C665-426F-8C3C-1AB19BB78191.jpeg

D2AD3BA5-5657-436A-A5DD-ACD7B333263C.jpeg

I love the rear skeg line of the rear fenders on this car ....and the wheel covers that keep the line. And now I know why... it’s a thing with me.

3E418FC3-7413-4D64-BDB4-57F1C066CC11.jpeg

Last edited:
Lookin very nice, Javier!! :thumbsup:

And dont sweat the name, it will come to you.

Btw, is that an Alfa parked next to you outside?

Great purchase. I bid on this when it was ebay because it was close to me (livermore) I was unsuccessful. Im glad it is in great hands.

Lookin very nice, Javier!! :thumbsup:

And dont sweat the name, it will come to you.

Btw, is that an Alfa parked next to you outside?
where??? At the shop? No Alphas there. Just my Citroen SM.... one of my other passions that I like to drive.

Little progress today....

Did some more light housekeeping by cleaning out the ashtrays. Found only candi wrappers and... the missing dome light button knob!

A little super glue later and ... viola!

B3486427-D00A-41DC-81EA-ECA8E4AFD4AA.jpeg

Finally, got the breather in after they sent the wrong part.

500D0D0C-270D-45D5-8372-E7A712EDCB85.jpeg

As long as we keep moving the ball forward ... even a little we get close to finishing as I await a new ATC Amplifier. Last big item on the list that is not purely aesthetic.

Bought a rattle can of touch up and will shoot the spare headlight door.

Last edited:
Looky what I got today.... bought the kit on eBay. Pricey at $75 but if it works....

6D752F3F-A785-453A-97E6-7617F68536A5.jpeg

Here’s where the failure occurred. I think I definitely got the last wipe out of it.

48B83BF7-D40C-45CF-AFF9-B39AF12CA684.jpeg

A view from further out.

059931F3-0D67-4573-BC9D-AB6F0E6ED6F3.jpeg

Needless to say, the other press in retainers were the consistency of refrigerator dried out velveeta.

42E4040B-B238-4BD5-9DFC-90621921F43D.jpeg

New compared to old part. New part has a slightly larger retaining lip for the power arm but it is also beveled to make install possible. This is a well engineered part.

38FF5370-6786-4E4F-9930-BE3C46EC9380.jpeg

Funny that the lower part is a different color on the original. Also, the ball bearing retainer is in a different place on the replacement. 180 degrees out as is the raised inner lip. Thought for a moment to use the original but it wasn’t parking correctly. So I went all New with the kit. Inner spring and cam were fine. Just needed cleaning.

CE4B7E3C-AE12-46DB-9009-58913BFBDDE0.jpeg

CD41A6E4-7679-4DE9-A601-F0E576ECD88B.jpeg

8E491D4E-A450-4EF6-87FC-E30E0A970FAD.jpeg

The tops were identical. The hardest part of the install was not the disassembly. Pressing the power arm into the cap was a mission. I really didn’t want to screw the pooch by breaking the new part. Ended up using a 1/2” socket inside and a 24mm wrench outside the opening to hold and press on the power arm. Once I got it all lined up I squeezed the whole contraption on my bench vise until it went in. Material is fairly flexible with excellent memory. The first two tries failed but didn’t scar the plastic. It’s a surprisingly good material.

A5DF294E-1AFF-4D51-B5E9-4B438F00FD12.jpeg

Here’s the new bottom end with the old spring and new cam. I did reuse the ball bearing and e clip. Of course, I lubed it all up prior to assembly. Moly axle grease. Everything in the kit fit very tight but not impossibly so. Somebody did a terrific job creating this part so it can work with the material used. Slightly under sized to have the material compress to fit.

D178336C-E1D7-4F1C-B341-03A1619E1687.jpeg

Decided to pull the whole thing out to clean it up and lube it.

Ran out of space for pictures so I’ll have to go to another post to complete it. Meantime....

here it is working:

Last edited:
That is the one for the 79 R body. Won't work on a 78...

Unless you have everything from the wiper motor to the first wiper transmission on the driver side. Then again I don' know if the linkage rod is the same length for a C and a R body.

Unless you have everything from the wiper motor to the first wiper transmission on the driver side. Then again I don' know if the linkage rod is the same length for a C and a R body.
That's what I suspected.

With all due respect Bob, I beg to differ. But this one seams to work.

I don’t know if the PO changed the wiper power arm to an R Body arm. It is not offset like your design. But it all went together without any problem.

I did note a little tension in the system as I was installing the power arm onto the motor. I had the motors installed first which was a mistake. Once I loosened the motor, I was able to align the power arm on to the stud.

As I bolted in the motor, I felt a little torque working the motor out of line with the fire wall slightly. I decided at the that point to just charge ahead and finish.

And as to if it works... see the video of it working above.

Based on what I’ve read from other posts I was looking at this as a gamble. Like the car, it appears to be paying off. Hopefully, neither will blow up!!!!

Last edited:
To complete the install picture stream..since FCBO only allows 10 pictures per post.

E571F0C9-D7E9-49D9-963B-19FAC15D5CEA.jpeg

Here’s the cap that goes attached to the power arm. I used 1/2” socket on the inside. Note I placed it off center to align it with the mount for the power arm that is also off center.

DFC58877-A616-4F80-9C80-BD3DE307A867.jpeg

Here’s the right side of the link arm with the pivot. I pulled the whole contraption out.

48F24042-B364-446C-BDD7-CF9557956CF7.jpeg

If the kit has a fault it is that it only brings one retainer bushing. I remember when they used to sell you just the Mopar bushing retainers. Now you have to buy a whole assortment. Marketing....

AD60C2BD-AF0D-4EB9-83DE-F5E958936FCA.jpeg

Here is the whole linkage complete and ready to go in.

I ended up adjusting a lot on the arm placement to get them where they would delay on the glass, snap down all the way in park and align the drivers side wiper to finish with the wiper blade parallel with the A Pilar but I got it all sorted.

All told, it was about 6 hours including the time to run out and get the two extra bushing retainers I needed to complete the job.

Here’s a link to the eBay kit I got

1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 Chrysler Cordoba windshield wiper repair kit | eBay

Last edited:
We'll see how long it lasts. No one previously has had sucess with that cam. It doesn't look like the offset is the same as both of my 78's. Maybe it's a piece from an R body.

As far as the transmission bushing. You can still go to Dodge and ask for a bushing for a 1996 or newer Dodge Ram Van. They are still available and are a lot better constructed than the Help variety pack bushings and will last a lot longer.

I've got one in my tool box... I couldn't see how it could work and wanted to put it up someone's sphincter.:lol:

After seeing this, maybe I'll take another look, thanks Javier:thumbsup:

I was just about to post this, then took another look at the pics...
I think this cars wiper transmission has been modified before. I don't recall the end being riveted on its all one piece see below...
e571f0c9-d7e9-49d9-963b-19fac15d5cea-jpeg.jpg

Notice the four rivets above the orange thing. One of them is even offset for some reason.
If it was modified its a good thing. Then those parts will always be available.

When the weather gets nicer I'll investigate some more.

I've got one in my tool box... I couldn't see how it could work and wanted to put it up someone's sphincter.:lol:

After seeing this, maybe I'll take another look, thanks Javier:thumbsup:

I was just about to post this, then took another look at the pics...
I think this cars wiper transmission has been modified before. I don't recall the end being riveted on its all one piece see below...
View attachment 173756
Notice the four rivets above the orange thing. One of them is even offset for some reason.
If it was modified its a good thing. Then those parts will always be available.

When the weather gets nicer I'll investigate some more.
Mystery solved... thanks Kenny... IDK why nobody else spotted that... I sure didn't.

Back