New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

When you say “modified” are you speaking of the rivets? View attachment 173822 If so what was modified? I ask only because I have my wiper arms out as well to replace all the Teflon bushings that have dry rotted.. should I look for anything in particular? Thx
John, this only applies to the 1978 Formals. So unless you've bought something I don't know about, you're safe. The cam for the 78 wiper set up is one big reason why we pick on even the nice ones.

Bob engineered a good fix, and I believe Javier has lucked into a good one too... both would require finding an appropriate donor to duplicate. Which is easier to find wiper transmission parts for, a pre-78 Formal or a Cordoba/R body/whatever uses the one Javier has? My local junkyards don't have this kind of inventory... so the repairs are both doable, but still a PITA.

Now if Bob would just figure out how we could use 90's-2000's B van wiper transmission parts, it would be so easy to find what you need... everyone would want a Formal :rolleyes:.

Came in last night but missed it until early this morning. First thing when I get back.

5F1A7315-6BAA-4B4D-A9DA-BC73F011ADBC.jpeg

3ECE76FE-536E-4425-A7EE-7043C486D6BD.jpeg

Now if Bob would just figure out how we could use 90's-2000's B van wiper transmission parts, it would be so easy to find what you need... everyone would want a Formal :rolleyes:.

Either way, you would have to fab something to make either fix work.....and will need donor parts.

Regarding Cantflp’s question.....,

They are actually separate parts.

FSM describes the need to transfer thermal vacuum switch in replacement of the heater valve on cars with ATC.

Javier

Last edited:
This ATC II repair would be historic and really promising if the failure and fix Javier is working out for this ATC II if the same problem occurs every time the ATC II System fails.

This ATC II repair would be historic and really promising if the failure and fix Javier is working out for this ATC II if the same problem occurs every time the ATC II System fails.
if if if.......

Not there yet but am determined to fix it.

All systems eventually fail due to some traceable reason.

For example... I’m reading all sorts of sources and a common thread for both the first and second versions of the ATC II maflfunction is the amplifier. So after checking the resistors in series (ok), electrical connections (pending) and checked the vacuum motors and connections, I will install the new amplifier as a check/swap of the existing. If no go then go to servo swap.

I’ve taken several other system servos apart in the past. Their failures are rarely mechanical. Usually transducer (vacuum/potentiometer) issue due to either poor vacuum connection (dried out hose) or electrical fault. Again..... rare.

I’ll keep you all posted to be sure.

Excellent eye, Jeff!! :thumbsup:
Thanks, I'm always paying attention when ATCII is discussed... I really need to get off my *** and tear into the parts car for more answers.
Regarding Cantflp’s question.....,

They are actually separate parts.

FSM describes the need to transfer thermal switch vacuum valve in replacement of the valve.

Javier
Consider me to be just a little smarter than this morning... Thank you Javier

I’m Back!

Went in for a few hours this morning.

Good news....

antenna works again.

So so news...

We have a short somewhere in the light circuit for the headlights.

7060848E-40F3-4ED7-84A8-2474A087C0ED.jpeg

Stan, what are you seeing on the front bumper that needs to be added to the list?

Back