New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Little things today:

9B80F2AD-CD27-43CB-B554-E924FBB66E75.jpeg

Trunk lock cover getting ready to go in.

56F962AB-1D7C-4321-B755-E0BD7DA31C14.jpeg

Finishing touch to compressor. I know it’s kind of prissy but was waiting until I was done (or at least as done as I could be) with the ATC to install it.

6C6479F7-8C93-4AB8-B9E3-CC165601E595.jpeg

It’s the little things. Coolant sticker comes after I run the car for a while and flush out the cooling system again.

Last edited:
Personal moment.

I think I got this car in anticipation of the stress I knew I would be under with my business growing and all the tension surrounding my youngest daughter’s college decisions. She’s up for some great scholarships that will make her first choice possible for her. We did all the right things in anticipation for her college education. We bought her an in state college prepaid scholarship when she was born. We have planned on the income required for her room and board and travel. But she’s so damned smart she’s been accepted at some pretty good schools out of state. The cost of those out of state prestige schools was never foreseen even with the generous merit scholarships she’s been given. We should know soon, but meantime, we are all on pins and needles.

My youngest is also very observant. Much more than I give her credit for. She said, “Dad, you always work on little things on the kitchen counter when you have a lot on your mind”
I told her that focusing on little problems make bigger ones easier to take and resolve. My wife overheard and said.... “Yes, he’s always been that way.” “I hate it” “He likes to zone out” “But that’s who I married”

I’m kind of also freaked out that we will soon be empty nesters and know that our baby’s leaving marks the close of a major chapter of our life and the beginning of another. So is my beloved wife.

I didn’t want you all to think I’m just a callous bastard in not sharing all of my little joys with them. It’s all about timing.

Quite frankly, I’m pretty sure she knows as I have not taken any pains to hide the manuals, books, parts and my time at the shop from her.

I’m hoping the important things all work out. This car really isn’t one of them. If I have to sell it to make my little girls dream happen, I will.

It’s all about timing and priorities.

Last edited:
Personal moment.

I think I got this car in anticipation of the stress I knew I would be under with my business growing and all the tension surrounding my youngest daughter’s college decisions. She’s up for some great scholarships that will make her first choice possible for her. We did all the right things in anticipation for her college education. We bought here an in state college prepaid scholarship when she was born. We have planned on the income required for her room and board and travel. But she’s so damned smart she’s been accepted at some pretty good schools out of state. The cost of those for an out of state prestige school was never foreseen even with the generous merit scholarships she’s been given. We should know soon, but meantime, we are all on pins and needles.

My youngest is also very observant. Much more than I give her credit for. She said, “Dad, you always work on little things on the kitchen counter when you have a lot on your mind”
I told her that focusing on little problems make bigger ones easier to take and resolve. My wife overheard and said.... “Yes, he’s always been that way.” “I hate it” “He likes to zone out” “But that’s who I married”

I’m kind of also freaked out that we will soon be empty nesters and know that our baby’s leaving marks the close of a major chapter of our life and the beginning of another. So is my beloved wife.

I didn’t want you all to think I’m just a callous bastard in not sharing all of my little joys with them. It’s all about timing.

Quite frankly, I’m pretty sure she knows as I have not taken any pains to hide the manuals, books, parts and my time at the shop from her.

I’m hoping the important things all work out. This car really isn’t one of them. If I have to sell it to make my little girls dream happen, I will.

:thumbsup: you're a helluva guy, Javier.

Dave normally has 2 or 3 tents set up. A few other do too. We are usually on the red field which is on flat ground and centrally located on the fairground site.

Personal moment.

I think I got this car in anticipation of the stress I knew I would be under with my business growing and all the tension surrounding my youngest daughter’s college decisions. She’s up for some great scholarships that will make her first choice possible for her. We did all the right things in anticipation for her college education. We bought here an in state college prepaid scholarship when she was born. We have planned on the income required for her room and board and travel. But she’s so damned smart she’s been accepted at some pretty good schools out of state. The cost of those for an out of state prestige school was never foreseen even with the generous merit scholarships she’s been given. We should know soon, but meantime, we are all on pins and needles.

Thank you for sharing that with us... Being a "callous bastard" would probably have been OK with most of us too... :lol:, But it is better that you're human and love your family.:thumbsup:

Javier, Are you going to convoy up with Jeff to Carlisle in July?

I'd love to see you there... actually would be more convenient than driving to Miami to see your car. I'm taking the Auto Train up early though... If you decide to go, I would strongly recommend that you consider it. Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA... overnight travel, so get a roomette and you can relax on the trip and arrive rested.

I figured the train was close enough to a break even situation between gas and a night's stay on the road... but if you sign up for the rewards CC through BOA, they have one that offers 20,000 points upon sign up... and that would cover most of the trip. @Ripinator turned me onto this, but he's apparently younger and in better shape than I am... so he travels in the cheap seats .

Carlisle is wonderful, but be prepared... you will likely walk a lot more than you think with all the cars and a huge swap (a very good one). I generally change my shoes and socks about halfway through the day just to keep my feet a little happier. There are a couple of threads with hotel recommendations, and might be some that appeal that you can still get into.

Thank you for sharing that with us... Being a "callous bastard" would probably have been OK with most of us too... :lol:, But it is better that you're human and love your family.:thumbsup:

I'd love to see you there... actually would be more convenient than driving to Miami to see your car. I'm taking the Auto Train up early though... If you decide to go, I would strongly recommend that you consider it. Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA... overnight travel, so get a roomette and you can relax on the trip and arrive rested.

I figured the train was close enough to a break even situation between gas and a night's stay on the road... but if you sign up for the rewards CC through BOA, they have one that offers 20,000 points upon sign up... and that would cover most of the trip. @Ripinator turned me onto this, but he's apparently younger and in better shape than I am... so he travels in the cheap seats .

Carlisle is wonderful, but be prepared... you will likely walk a lot more than you think with all the cars and a huge swap (a very good one). I generally change my shoes and socks about halfway through the day just to keep my feet a little happier. There are a couple of threads with hotel recommendations, and might be some that appeal that you can still get into.

Hmmm.... Ham and eggs in Ca-Ro-Lina sounds enticing and interesting. I do have a gazillion AMEX Points I can burn. Hmmmm....

New speakers on the way for the back.

A77BA755-1669-4FE7-8138-481C61EB0551.jpeg

Ooooo Sony.... pos.

5BC02899-E5B5-4624-BF94-DF4A659F9474.jpeg

Rear lock cover in place

BFADCD8D-8E97-4ADA-A6DD-6180CB17AF5C.jpeg

Wide shot of above

08B4A156-BE8C-4204-A8D0-8D3756BF5857.jpeg

And..... it even works!

Real happy how this little bit of customizing turned out. Call me Mr Foose! More coming.... just as subtle and just as “correct”.

B5153F8F-135C-4A0D-9E3E-91F7B1795E69.jpeg

Dash is covered and I tested the AutoTemp II.... still working for now.

EDC6E5EF-7C45-499C-AE76-A26858DEDAB4.jpeg

Looky! New radio with Bluetooth!

D79197F6-C1D0-45C0-8DCD-07573D5F5B95.jpeg

Engine all buttoned up... Yep, my friend Ivan went crazy on me today. Me thinks he needs cash!

Last edited:
I’m having the bumper fillers at all four corners removed tomorrow for painting. Then I can wrestle the paint for a while and start cleaning her up. Getting to the end.

Back