New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Almost done with the airbox.....

8CB724EE-3C42-437F-A41F-A4502D4DFAFB.jpeg

Bottom plate is in along with new seal. Close up.

85F05F99-8A75-475A-B89B-D7DC1B5D07CD.jpeg

From a little further out. The evaporator is in and tight. Lubed the door pivots. Ready to install the evaporator temp switch to cycle the compressor. I got an adjustable switch.

9D26D81F-4700-4ECC-BF74-62F00EE1DD6D.jpeg

Fabbed a plate for the evaporator lines and block where it goes on though the box to back up the seal and anchor that end of the evaporator.

Last edited:
Airbox is complete.....
Ready to go back in. Just hope that the new evaporator doesn’t leak after having been banged and straightened. If it were aluminum I would be really worried but it’s copper so I’m crossing my fingers.

BFF8F3F4-A15B-44FF-A9ED-8381E3A153CC.jpeg

Bulb sensor for the compressor thermostatic switch is in. I pushed it almost through but had enough to loop it. Sensor is 2” under the resistors for the blower even though the picture makes it look like it’s right there.
9E79AB7A-FA40-4E7C-ACAE-02A7D8ADFB1C.jpeg

Adjustable switch is mounted with tape for now. Will make a bracket for it tomorrow when I bring my larger drill bits. I have used these switch as a poor mans ATC on other cars. This one will just be set to cycle the compressor off should it freeze or get close to freezing.

13E05211-4907-4349-A8B1-B27FE1497630.jpeg

Made a small hole in the box for the bulb sensor. I use Windsheild ribbon sealer for this hole and around the heater core and evaporator lines as they exit the box.

BC4825BF-8426-41AD-9FB0-2B1714033626.jpeg

Heater core is in and positioned in front of the evaporator/blend door frame. This is important since it will also fit behind the evaporator/blend door frame. The difference is that the box lid and heater core will interfere in such a way that the box will not close and the blend door will bind slightly.... don’t ask me how I know.

I ended up using the heater core that came with the car as it was obviously new. It also looked 100% better than the new one I got. A quick flush and air test told me it was good. The box is clean now but the previous heater core must have been leaking badly as the bottom of the air box was full of rust stains all the way to the drain.

0937417D-F4BA-4B35-8F28-D6009E6BCB77.jpeg

Mechanics best friend.

220A8736-CE7D-493F-A965-93794D52221B.jpeg

All buttoned up, lines all attached and ready to go back in. This is the firewall side, I spray glued the insulation back in place.

843DCFBA-3708-4BE7-A41E-47C67E415DB8.jpeg

Figured out how the plastic fasteners work and reused them to put on the new VDO amplifier. Fasteners come out by pulling the end with a little twisting. The new amplifier holes lined up perfectly. Looks totally OEM.

043ACF4E-B79D-4F90-ADC4-19C28807B6F8.jpeg

This is the right side and....

1D4F146E-C388-4445-BFF7-D17BD18DC496.jpeg

.... this is the passenger cabin side (back) with all the lines and connectors, hanger attachments in and all mechanical joints lubed and ready to go.

New high pressure hoses should be ready tomorrow.

Last edited:
All good news for once.....

High pressure line came in just as I headed out to Atlanta. Got Ivan to hook it all up for me and it held good vacuum 30” for a few hours. Put 28oz. of freon in and system cools to 34 degrees with outside air temp at 81.....and doesn’t seem to leak. Initial tests show no leaks. Will know more tomorrow.

Still needs another 10 or so ounces of freon to be full and get rid of bubbles in the site glass and maybe set off the evap temp sensor.

Ivan reports that ATC II is working slowly and not getting all the heat out but it’s a warm day. I told him that is normal. System is designed to get car interior to temperature set point so if it’s close it won’t go full buggy in heat mode on a fairly warm day. It’s all about the “delta T” for this system to put out all the heat or cold it can make.

Pictures and more system testing before assembly for sure when I get back on Thursday.

Damn I wish I was there and not doing it via remote.

I figure Saturday will be a good day.

I'm confused.
How were you able to test it out of the car?

Sorry if my writing left you confused.

I had my friend Ivan (who owns the shop I do work in) install the airbox while I was out and hook up the new high side hose. He’d been dieing to put his paws on it for weeks now, asking a million questions and being overly curious.

Before leaving, I explained how to hook up the system. I left it with very few connections left to make so I could get him to do it for me when the hose came in. The rest was standard A/C system repair work for which he is fully versed.

Come to think of it, he and I both now know how to repair these old ATC systems.

Last edited:
Just found this after months of searching

B58DCFAF-622E-4AF8-B039-E39389461251.jpeg

72/73 trunk lock cover to dress up the trunk lock a little. I know it’s not correct for a 78, but it really needed it. That little stainless parts bin low end lock was visually killing the back of the car. Will pop off the plastic and paint the background the correct red and either replace or recast the plastic.

Have another idea I’m working on I hope to have done soon as well.

Last edited:
I've never seen a gold one. What vehicle and location is it specific to?

Sorry if my writing left you confused.

I had my friend Ivan (who owns the shop I do work in) install the airbox while I was out and hook up the new high side hose. He’d been dying to put his paws on it for weeks now, asking a million questions and being overly curious.

Before leaving, I explained how to hook up the system. I left it with very few connections left to make so I could get him to do it for me when the hose came in. The rest was standard A/C system repair work for which he is fully versed.

Come to think of it, he and I both now know how to repair these old ATC systems.

Awesome work Javier.. when can I make reservations to bring mine in for upgrades?? :steering::poke:

Ok... so Ivan calls this morning with news that the ATC II is on the fritz. Going straight to max heat. Finally got clear from work at 4:30 to dig into it.

According to the FSM, system going straight to heat is a fault in the sensors in that one or more may be open (disconnected).

Checked for voltage at the thermostat ... nothing.

In the sensor circuit, the thermostat is the last in the series. So there’s a fault somewhere. Given that the whole system was taken apart after I got it running, I’m pretty sure that it’s a connection issue.

Checked the sensor circuit off the amplifier... 5.4v.... check.
Trace to ambient sensor contacts.... shows no voltage. But the contacts coming out of the sensor show oxidation. Take the sensor off and check the connector. Connector shows correct 5.4v to the proper female contact.
Cleaned the contacts of the sensor, plug it in, check for current at the thermostat again.... and 5.4v!.....plugged it in and... bingo.... cold air again.

6D9EF6CA-4B4D-4343-A444-964F269E0FEC.jpeg

Ambient sensor was the problem. Cleaning up all the contacts to make sure but the ambient sensor’s contacts are exposed to the outside and thus most prone to contact degradation.

1AB45577-2472-450A-A994-3CD20BA0234D.jpeg

Started by pulling the plug off the thermostat to check for voltage... non found.

72751A5D-BA1E-4CD8-8A19-53B113C08887.jpeg

Started by checking the circuit from the amplifier (#3, blue with white tracer). Having bought the salvaged airbox that came with a good amplifier was a boon for several reasons.

D075F5A8-5481-48AC-8831-12F5BBBC4971.jpeg

Used the “spare” wiring that came with the salvaged airbox to understand how and where to check easier.... mucho easier!

9B6E3798-EF2A-4C84-B844-A28D620F71FC.jpeg

Next up... fan clutch! This one’s busted. Don’t know why I forgot to check it until now.

Last edited:
Back