New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Gonna need one of the rear reading light switches.

View attachment 168476
If you can't get one from Payton... I should be able to help. FIY, buy good window switches when they are fair priced... they are hard to find in good condition. There is a small variety of driver door switches out there, based on the car they came from. None hold up better, they're just hard to find... I even collect cheap broken ones to use as parts for future repairs.

As for those reflectors... almost unobtainable... once @Zymurgy perfects his lens making, I suggest we Formal guys put him to work on these. I do wish he'd hurry :poke::D

82-89 Chrysler 5th Ave use the same decal. My buddy Kip had new ones made for his at an auto wrap place.

Wow!

The original mirror's and grill on my 78 NYB were so rough you could grate cheese on them. If you remember ( I don't think anyone will) I was fortunate to get all of the chrome (including the bumpers and Grill) off a perfect red 78 NYB that was in a junk yard in New Mexico about 8 years ago. All of that chrome was as good as NOS. I soaked the mirror and door handles in acetone and removed all of the red decals. I was and still am amazed at the quality and condition of those those chrome pieces.

Anyways.....I sure would appreciate if I could get the contact info for the Auto Wrap place that your friend Kip got the decals fabricated. Those decals would be so cool!

Last edited:
HELP!!!!

Radiator pulled this morning. One of the tubes was leaking badly about midway up on the extreme left side.

It’s obvious that someone had been putting in straight water and sealants from the amount of rust and crud in the radiator and hoses.

So all new hoses, water pump, thermostat and gooseneck are in order.

Question: without pulling the engine and boiling it out, how can I effectively get that rust and crud out of the engine block?

Advance Auto Parts sells a coolant flush made by Peak. It's in a blue plastic bottle. Just follow the directions on the container and you'll be happy with the results.

You obviously didn’t jamb the brakes causing the car to loose control.., you are either lucky or well versed in what to do with a blowout!

As for the NYB (no name yet), the tires are about 6 years old with little wear showing.

How old was the tire that blew up on you?

I just swapped out the perfectly good tires on the wagon due to age last November so I completely agree that tires should be changed if old or even suspected of being old. Cheap insurance. And..,you can’t tell anything by looking.

I had a 77 Seville with old but perfectly good looking tires. One of them blew up (exploded) just sitting in the shop.

Inside left front shows a slight bit of uneven wear on the inside like you get with lower control arm wear. But bushing looks centered and true so I’m thinking I may just be a mis-alignment. Won’t know for sure until i get her on the rack.

Once I get her up and running properly she will definitely get new shoes.

The tires on my NYB were 7 years old. I was in the left lane heading north on I-83 on my way to Carlisle when she blew the tire. The tire disintegrated and only the bead was left on the rim. Traffic was extremely heavy and I was lucky to keep her under control and move it to the right shoulder without crashing or hitting somebody else. I'm surprised there wasn't any body damage or the skirt wasn't destroyed. The spare was 20-30 years old......not anymore!

Decided to recore the original radiator. Should be ready this afternoon. I Like having the original top tanks with the numbers and fittings. Not that I’m above upgrade modified. Been there done that too. But, just want a base to start that I know fits and should work.

I’ll post a picture of the radiator when I pick it up.

This maybe the only place that posting a picture of a radiator might be exciting for anybody.......At least I’ll be excited.

[QUOTE="cantflip, post: 565700, member: 4607" If she has run on water for too long, you may find a core plug leaking... I'd poke at them anyhow with screwdriver, JIC.

It is pretty tough to visually tell the difference between rust and some sealant products... use a magnet in the drained fluids to find ferrous metal. there long enough to do much. I'm superstitious about this and prefer to use distilled so I don't leave any undrained tap water behind.

[/QUOTE]

All great things to add to the list. Thanks!

So is his car. . .
charmin_roll_bear.jpg

Just picked up the original radiator with the new core this afternoon. One day service is something I haven’t seen in years in this town. They were very busy.

288A9B11-8A6C-4F7C-B8A3-B7444D488F8E.jpeg

8D5C9FB3-98D1-4B7A-8E62-32AE05F91C1B.jpeg

Just picked up the original radiator with the new core this afternoon. One day service is something I haven’t seen in years in this town. They were very busy.

View attachment 168581

View attachment 168582
This has me very interested. I have a couple that could use the help. The key questions in my mind right now are...

1- Do the fin counts look like the original? This is the big complaint most have with the aftermarket replacements.

2- Cost. Do you mind sharing?

The one local place I know of just wasn't interested, and wanted to sell me the replacement at half the cost of the re-core (and more, still, than I could find it elsewhere). All that without even looking at what I had. I do have some ideas of where I could go father south, or I might just try to do one myself someday.

Either way, always keep an original core.

Jeff, check out the new 3 core radiator that is available hrough AAP. If you don't like it you can always return it.

This has me very interested. I have a couple that could use the help. The key questions in my mind right now are...

1- Do the fin counts look like the original? This is the big complaint most have with the aftermarket replacements.

2- Cost. Do you mind sharing?

The one local place I know of just wasn't interested, and wanted to sell me the replacement at half the cost of the re-core (and more, still, than I could find it elsewhere). All that without even looking at what I had. I do have some ideas of where I could go father south, or I might just try to do one myself someday.

Either way, always keep an original core.

A good customer of mine runs a Rad shop and his “Friends” price in my recored 70 rad was $385 cdn. On the 66 it was over $500 but both got upgraded to HD cooling and look great.

The cost of the new core for the original radiator was $343 with tax. In case anyone was wondering. Core is an exact match double row.

Last edited:
New battery for those like me that think this is actually interesting.... $132 with tax.... before you ask.

I’d figured about a grand would get her on the road but I think is going to be more like two.

Javier.

9D2899C1-0DC1-4A1F-BA36-C27F15583B19.jpeg

Last edited:
Back