New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

@Moseman ,

Yes I did... it’s a pink wire running parallel to the wires feeding the left rear reading light from the same part of the harness coming up from the floor. Seemed like the long way home to me.

Here’s page C30 showing it coming from the same place.

image.jpg

I hear you but it’s the only way. If your lucky, it’s right there underneath the headliner. You would need to pull the inner trim at the windshield and carefully unhook the front edge of the headliner from the “teeth”. Then pull the sun visors to loosen the headliner to the first bow.

I’m assuming you don’t have a Sunroof.

Hopefully, the connector will be right there.

If not, then you need to do what I just did above to figure out where it is.

My suspicion is it’s all balled up behind the left rear sail panel on the inside of the “C” pillar. The people who did your headliner probably picked it up real nice and clean and forgot they had to run it before installing the new headliner. The dome light was harder to miss and it has a fixture to remind them.

Will take a morning or afternoon if you’re up to it.

I would have taken it back to the trim shop to fix as it was their mistake.

Last edited:
Javier, I could kiss you on all four cheeks but since you are not here, please accept just a Thank You

By the way, I noticed your roof rail seals are a little dry.

Last edited:
No... not what I was thinking. Though, thanks for the offer.

There’s a thread on here that shows you how th make up a set using your old corners and ends and some GM profile strip.

I looked at the diagram and there are two wires going to my dome light.
One wire is hot.
One wire is the ground wire when the circuit is completed by door switch when the door is open.
You following this? You with me?
All I have to do is run the hot lead to the dome lamp and the two reading lamps. I then will simply have the switched reading lamps go to ground.

That’s exactly what I did.

But please note that the alternating line goes from negative to positive.

So you will need to isolate it accordingly.

Likewise, the logic of my fixture is set up for the reverse (full time ground with alternating hot). Yours may be different as mine came from a Mark IV and yours from a truck.

One advantage to the dome lights and map light combo with our wiring is that the positive load from the map lights is actually shared by both wires when the door is closed.

One concern I had was that the resistance in the 14 wire might get hot with the map light on for an extended period while driving.

Will probably change to LED’s for more light and lower load throughout all the interior lights.

All those lights are a hell of a draw against the battery..... and cook the lenses.

J

Last edited:
One more thing.....

It’s small so it was way down on the “List”.

Something that is uniquely Chrysler and OEM.

Pack rat pile came through again!
I had a few timers I scavenged back when UPick was UPick.

It was just missing the timer on the fuse panel. Easy fix.

BA31D8A8-C15C-4B32-A3AC-43B446642491.jpeg

Simple plug and play. Light stays on for a bit over 7 seconds after door is closed. Happy!!!

Also.....

1B483B07-AC33-4713-83A1-4B67B9D10318.jpeg

While I was at it the Mrs. made us a pie and some quiche..... mmmmmm!

Last edited:
One more thing.....

It’s small so it was way down on the “List”.

Something that is uniquely Chrysler and OEM.

Pack rat pile came through again!
I had a few timers I scavenged back when UPick was UPick.

It was just missing the timer on the fuse panel. Easy fix.

View attachment 241542

Simple plug and play. Light stays on for a bit over 7 seconds after door is closed. Happy!!!

Also.....

View attachment 241543

While I was at it the Mrs. Made us a pie and some quiche..... mmmmmm!

Good to know, I’ll look when mine arrives in a few weeks.

The reason the Ny'ers don't have the dome light is both doors light up and the map light lights up. Newport's don't have the door lights so that is why Newports have a dome light. Ny'ers without sunroofs don't have a dome light either.
Are you sure about that? My 76 NYB has a factory dome light in it but my 77 NYB does not.

Back