Newbie from ND/TX -- 1968 Fury III Fast Top

cld

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just joined the forum and I've been impressed and inspired by all the helpful tips people are sending each other. I'm getting back into the Mopar world after many years away. I live in Austin, TX but have a '68 Fury III Fast Top back on the family ranch in Adams County, ND. It's got the 383 4bbl, auto, about 73,000 miles.

I bought the car when I was 15 or 16 (22-23 years ago) from the first/second owner (first owner died and his brother sold it to me). I drove it the way you'd expect a high-school kid to drive it, but then had to park it when I went away to college, then work, then grad school, then work and family. I can't believe it, but it's been sitting for more than 15 years. Here are some pictures from the last time my younger brother and I got it going (2007 I think). At that time, after 10 years sitting, it turned on the first crank after some basic prep!

Definitely one of those cars that looks great from a distance but has rough edges up close. Lots of big scratches, some cracking bondo on front fenders and hood (previous owner got drunk and drove it into a post in his shed). A few bubbles under the vinyl top. The trunk floor is toast -- that's the issue that is most worrying to me. The interior is overall pretty nice except for the driver's seat, which is completely worn and cracked out. A tom cat jumped in the window and peed in the car one of the last times I drove it before parking it. None of the cleaners I tried would get out the stink. It's gone now, though! So there's the only pro tip I can currently offer: if you have any pet odor issues, 1. treat with citrus cleaner; 2. let sit for 15-20 years.

Near term priorities: clean out fuel system, basic tune up, new belts, hoses, etc. Unfortunately we need a new power steering pump; that blew out the last time we had it running (sludged up from sitting, maybe?). Brakes are probably shot from sitting; maybe upgrade to front discs now instead of repairing current front/rear power drums? Need to get new leaf springs; currently has long brackets and towing-style helper springs to keep the butt off the ground.

Eventually: new exhaust (currently has the original high-flow manifolds and duals), go back to the discreet turn-downs. Get rid of the chrome wheels and go back to plain steel with dog dish hubcaps. Replace trunk floor (gulp). Get Sure-Grip (unfortunately it has the open rear diff). New wiring harness. Fix factory cruise control, which has never worked (some worrying crackling/sparking if you mess with the control stalk). Fix the factory AC, which has never reliably held refrigerant. Dream list: full engine and trans rebuild, get rid of the carb and get Atomic or similar EFI setup, reupholster front seat, full sandblasting and repaint (dark graphite gray with black top and black wheels, I'm thinking).

I have a lot of work and family commitments and no space or tools at home anymore, so I'm trying to find someone to do some work on it and also figure out how to get the car to central TX. I can't decide whether it makes more sense to have someone in ND/SD get it into road-worthy condition and then drive it down to TX, or have it transported in its current iffy state to TX, where I figure I'm more likely to find some dependable Mopar shops. I do not have a huge budget and I want to make the most of a few thousand bucks.

I know there's a San Antonio area guy with the same car on the forums and I am looking forward to getting his input. What about others -- any ND/SD people on these boards? Any shop you'd recommend up there?

Thanks
Chris

p.s. I just realized in that last photo you can just barely see a white '66-67 Dodge D100 pickup in the distance, if anyone's into those Sweptlines.

DSCN1264.jpgDSCN1269.jpgPICT1843.jpgPICT1844.jpg

DSCN1264.jpg

DSCN1269.jpg

PICT1843.jpg

PICT1844.jpg

Last edited:
This is the kind of stuff they write books about.
Even the scenery is perfect.
Amazing!!
And absolutely a huge welcome to FCBO.

This is the kind of stuff they write books about.
Even the scenery is perfect.
Amazing!!
And absolutely a huge welcome to FCBO.

Thanks! As far as the scenery is concerned, of course I couldn't really appreciate it while growing up there; I just wanted to get out. Now I find any excuse I can to get back to wide open spaces.

Not sure if this will attach, but I'll try: here's a video my wife took as we drove it in 2007. Pretty low quality but you can get some of the sound!

EDIT: never mind, it's a small file but it won't attach.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Is that a factory triple black car? Can't beat that!! Very nice from the pics and your plans sound just right!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Is that a factory triple black car? Can't beat that!! Very nice from the pics and your plans sound just right!

Thanks! It is indeed the original color combo. The previous owner (or rather, the original owner's brother; he didn't have it long) said it was all original paint but that can't be completely true, since there are visible repairs up front. Mostly original paint, maybe.

Looks amazing for mostly original black paint. Welcome to the site and good luck with the restoration, keep the photo's coming.

Welcome to the party Chris. I'm assuming you're saying that your toolz are now in Austin? Do you still have a brother in N.D.? Have him (or you) contact Moore's auto salvage in Rapid City. They're on the web. That should be a short jaunt, one day 'round trip from Adams County and I'll bet they have your trunk pan. I'd try my best to make friendz with our friend in Boerne...pronounced: Burneeee. Nice town-Good folkz. Ah couple milez NW on I-10 from San Antonio. Just buzz out 290 and then south on 281. Stay Tuned, More Later, Jer

Welcome aboard from southern Ontario Canada. Your car is amazing and it's good to see it is getting the attention it deserves. I'm partial to the Dodge side of the Mopar family (68 Monaco 500 & 70 Polara ragtop). The Monaco could use some new paint so seeing your car in black has given me food for thought....

Welcome aboard from southern Ontario Canada. Your car is amazing and it's good to see it is getting the attention it deserves. I'm partial to the Dodge side of the Mopar family (68 Monaco 500 & 70 Polara ragtop). The Monaco could use some new paint so seeing your car in black has given me food for thought....

Thanks! I've been looking at those 67-68 Polaras in the For Sale thread with new appreciation, never realized how purty they were.

Welcome to the party Chris. I'm assuming you're saying that your toolz are now in Austin? Do you still have a brother in N.D.? Have him (or you) contact Moore's auto salvage in Rapid City. They're on the web. That should be a short jaunt, one day 'round trip from Adams County and I'll bet they have your trunk pan. I'd try my best to make friendz with our friend in Boerne...pronounced: Burneeee. Nice town-Good folkz. Ah couple milez NW on I-10 from San Antonio. Just buzz out 290 and then south on 281. Stay Tuned, More Later, Jer

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately everything -- car, shop, toolz, etc -- is back in ND, and due to work and family commitments (lots of travel for work, 3 little kids) I probably will not be able to make progress working on the car myself once I get it to TX. I hope to see that blue car at some point in the new year, get some ideas!

Hey guys, just thought I would post a quick update about my '68 Fury III. I signed up with a transport guy with a very long-term open schedule to minimize cost (i.e. unloaded miles) and was prepared to wait 6 months. By pure dumb luck he found a connecting load going to western MN and so will pick up the car in ND in a couple weeks. So I should have it in Austin TX by mid-January! I've found a lot of good info about disc brake conversions, exhaust, etc here and on C Body Dry Dock, and have gotten some good tips from Jason in Boerne. By another stroke of pure dumb luck I have also found a local shop with a great reputation to help me out, and they happen to have various C body suspension parts lying around from a previous customer who flaked! Any parts left over after I'm done will be posted on FCBO.

Welcome, cool car. I work near Killdeer twenty days of every month.

Small world. I was born and raised straight south of Dickinson/Killdeer, near the SD border. Say, this isn't C body related, but if you know anyone in the ND and nearby Mopar community who might be interested... our junkyard on the farm has a couple 1949-1950 Plymouth 4-dr sedans (rough, probably 40 years outside) and a couple 1967 Sweptline single cab long box pickups with 318/4spd (one very rough, one ok-ish, was running a few years ago).

Welcome cld. There is a shop in Leander called Big Damn Scooters. (don't let the name fool you) That's where my Monaco is at. They will work on your car for around $55 per hour or you can work on it yourself there. You can always call and speak to Ray...he's hard of hearing but a great guy with lots of great stories. I think one of guys working on his truck would be interested in the D100. Anyway, just wanted to offer that up to you.

Welcome cld. There is a shop in Leander called Big Damn Scooters. (don't let the name fool you) That's where my Monaco is at. They will work on your car for around $55 per hour or you can work on it yourself there. You can always call and speak to Ray...he's hard of hearing but a great guy with lots of great stories. I think one of guys working on his truck would be interested in the D100. Anyway, just wanted to offer that up to you.

Great, thanks!

Back