Hello C Body Forum

SittingSince85

Reaction score
Hello C Body Forum! I’m looking into a 1966 Chrysler New Yorker 2 door hardtop near my house. It has been off the road since 1985 and hasn’t moved or been cranked in around 20 years. It is currently sitting in a field, where it has sat for the past two decades. Here is this car’s story.

This 1966 New Yorker rolled off the assembly line at the Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit. It is unknown what dealership it was sold at, but it ended up here in Tennessee. It was bought by an older woman who worked as an elementary school teacher. It is said that she would pick up her students and take them to church on sundays. Besides that, she only drove to the store and her house, apparently never leaving the county! It currently resides on the same road that her house used to be on. It was last driven in the early 80’s when the woman passed. It was sold to my cousins up the street by her sister shortly after this.
After this, it was parked inside a barn until the late 90’s or early 2000’s, when it was driven a short distance into a field and sat ever since. Sometime during this period, a kid with anger issues snuck in, smashed out the windows, destroyed the mirrors, and put a dent in the trunk. It sits in the field with no windows to this day.

About a year ago, my cousin’s husband, who always planned on restoring it, passed after a long cancer battle. This July, I heard from a neighbor that the car was sitting back there and went to ask my cousin about it. She had completely forgotten it had existed and hadn’t seen it since it was moved. I drove back to check it out and took the following pictures. I’m planning to go back up there and take some more pictures to post here.

It has a 440 RB (Don’t know if it’s a TNT, I just recently discovered where the hood release is) and a three-speed TorqueFlite automatic. It is equipped with a front bench seat, lap belts, air conditioning, a black vinyl top, and (I believe) an Ivory paint job. I know for sure that the driver’s floor is rusted, but there seems to be no other major rust on the body. The odometer reads 14,460, which I believe to be accurate.

Is there anything specific I should check? And where is the trunk release? Any advice is appreciated and welcome!

Best regards, SittingSince85

20230703_183932.jpg

20230703_184009.jpg

20230703_184235.jpg

20230703_184416.jpg

20230703_184505.jpg

20230703_184430.jpg

Hello SittingSince85.

At least cover this car with a tarp to prevent more decay. Your pictures and story have, I'm sure, brought some tears to some eyes here.

There will be a metal tag, about the size of a credit card, screwed onto the top of the wheel housing in the engine compartment on the driver's side. It will be stamped with several lines of numbers and letters. Take a photo of that and post it here.

Hello, welcome to the site. As much as I love those Chryslers, you will be far far ahead if you bought one in rust free original condition that is a driver. So sad it went the way it did. Tons of great parts on yours if you do buy another.

Welcome. This cars story is sad for sure…. And my condolences for your cousin’s husband. As @Boydsdodge notes above, if you’re looking to get into a 66, you be best to find a current driver and use this one in the field for parts.

As for the trunk release, I have only ever used a key in my ‘68 300. I am going to assume you don’t have a key. You’ll have to pull the back seat out. bottom should come out by giving the front a shove backwards while lifting at the same time. You’ll then access a couple of body bolts holding the back in place. Once those are removed, you can access the trunk. If you’re nimble, you can shimmy into the trunk with a flash light and flat head screwdriver and turn the release in the latch. But my guess is there will be a spare tire in the way. I seem to recall some on here have made a long extension for the screwdriver to avoid the shimmy.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the advice and condolences. It currently isn't for sale, and even if I was able to buy it, I could never use it for parts due the it's sentimental value to the community. I will, however, put a tarp over it to prevent corrosion tomorrow. Expect more pictures as well.

Back