Newbie Fury Questions

Sherwood

Reaction score
Going to look at a 1967 Fury III Sport and I'm wondering problem areas to look at as a newbie. Possibly a one owner low mileage car that's been sitting but it looks clean. Vin decoder shows 383 4 barrel. TIA

298078917_10220996404475930_8687228869975066126_n.jpg

Bring a magnet, wrapped in masking tape. Check it sticks to all the lower edges of the vehicle.

Particularly rear quarters, all around the trunk lid, base of trunk lid by lights, trunk floor, front scuttle, rockers, kick panels and front floors.

Looks nice from there though

Thank you! The little research I’ve done makes it seemly impossible to determine what it came with originally! What are the parts that are hard to come by to pay attention to?

Thank you! The little research I’ve done makes it seemly impossible to determine what it came with originally! What are the parts that are hard to come by to pay attention to?
Every last single piece of trim!

Mechanically, these cars are wonderful. There's a large amount of inexpensive (relatively) mechanical aftermarket support available.
But, lights, trim and other brightwork parts are hard to source in good condition usually.

Phil

Nice looking formal top Sport Fury. As mentioned in previous post, check for any previous rust or collision damage. Trim is tough to come by but not impossible. If the car still has the original rubber bushings on the front end it's a good bet they need replaced. Mechanical parts are still available. Hope the Fury is as good as it looks in the picture. Good luck.

Right rear back bumper angle to the body angle just looks off to me, definitely take a mag. with you like Phil said. Cool *** wheels on her though.

Are those stock wheels? They look different than ones I’ve seen looking at “67 fury” pictures.
Right rear back bumper angle to the body angle just looks off to me, definitely take a mag. with you like Phil said. Cool *** wheels on her though.

Not sure from pic but they remind me of Hot Wheels, very cool looking. Can't tell if their hub caps or rims from the pic really. Personally, I would like either black walls or the white walls on those wheels.

Does anybody remember those A-body Barracuda wheels that got recalled?

Take a car (MOPAR) knowledgeable friend with you he or she might see something you don't, and wear your poker face no matter how excited you are bout the car. You can always walk away if you see something you don't like or hear said during your visit.

Are those stock wheels? They look different than ones I’ve seen looking at “67 fury” pictures.

They are stock yes, they I believe were the standard Sport Fury wheel cover choice if I remember correctly. As a little side note though I know for a fact that these exact wheel covers in '67 the centers were all chrome but in '68 the centers were are dark gray color.

Best of luck with the appraisal, really hope you end up getting it

Before I even ask, I know the answer is “It depends”. But what is fair value range these days? It’s not a bucket of rust but it’s not museum piece either.

Before I even ask, I know the answer is “It depends”. But what is fair value range these days? It’s not a bucket of rust but it’s not museum piece either.
My poison is fusies, not slabs (though I like them too), so I can’t chime in with a number. Two suggestions:

1. I would search the two “for sale” forums — the one where members post their own cars, and the one from other sites (FOS). That’ll give you an idea of asking prices. Also, in the FOS forum, you’ll see free discussions of pros and cons. That should be very informative.

2. Some members follow the slab market closely. @67newport tracks FOS ads and helpfully posts them here. @coco also follows slabs and posts FOS ads. @fury fan and @cbarge know those cars extremely well. All four might chime in, as might others whom I’m not mentioning for a quicker post.

Good luck. I love the color. If it were mine I’d keep the white walls, they dress up the car IMHO.

Bring a magnet, wrapped in masking tape. Check it sticks to all the lower edges of the vehicle.

Particularly rear quarters, all around the trunk lid, base of trunk lid by lights, trunk floor, front scuttle, rockers, kick panels and front floors.

Looks nice from there though
Look at the bottom of the rear window too.
Try and find out some of the history of the car too.

Nice color combo and the H code 383 sweetens the pot!
Fewer "hardtops" in 67 were built compared to the new "fastop" roofline
The 14 inch Wheel covers are correct.
However, will look much better with 15 inch Magnum 500's especially with the color combo.
The body side vinyl molding can be removed safely without damaging the paint.
It really is ugly on that car as it detracts from the body lines.

Do your research on '67 - '68 Plymouth, Dodge & Chrysler C - bodies for sale and the condition they are described to be in. Some sellers watch too many Barrett-Jackson auctions on TV and think they can finance their kids college education by selling an old car. A knowledgeable, objective set of eyes looking at it with you is also important. Being this is a Sport Fury with the H-code 383, original hubcaps, rocker & wheel opening trim puts a little more value than say, a Fury III with a G-code 383 or a basic Newport or Polara. FWIW, Plymouth was the only one to offer two different roof styles on their C-bodies, Formal Roof or Fast Top starting in '67. Chrysler and Dodge models were fast top only. From my experience of owning a '68 Fury III formal roof hard top, I have seen way more fast tops than formal roofs. Keep us posted on your pursuit.

Be careful with the side molding. Some were just press on, but others had a removeable plastic strip. The ones with the plastic strip usually were screwed on and the plastic strip slid in the channel and covered the screws. You would have to fill holes and repaint if those are on there. The all plastic ones can be removed carefully with a heat gun or some adhesive remover if you decide to take them off.

Back